Project White Squid --- one ton YJ - Page 32 - JeepForum.com
 210Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #466 of 487 Old 03-01-2019, 02:45 PM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Chris, did you run your measurements up front through the link calculator or just put the brackets where they fit and made sense?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #467 of 487 Old 03-01-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhunter1 View Post
Awesome build!! You have definitely put a lot of time into it but the nice thing is, You built it and that makes it even better.
I agree. I get a lot of satisfaction by building almost everything myself. Sometimes the quality isn't the best but who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Hey Chris, did you run your measurements up front through the link calculator or just put the brackets where they fit and made sense?

A little bit of both. I first ran my numbers base off where I thought everything would go. Then I put everything where it would fit/ where I wanted it then ran numbers again. The numbers I got were surprisingly good so I welded everything up. I haven't ran any finished up numbers but then again I never did for the rear either. Just wheel it and change something if it needs to be changed by the way it reacts offroad.
post #468 of 487 Old 03-02-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Rebuilt my exhaust yesterday to clear my links but didn't get any pictures.

Today I started the day off by checking the fitment of my oil pan skid. After looking it over it looks like I would need to do some minor modifications to get it to work with the new links and exhaust. I decided that my current skid has seen better days and I might as well start off just building a new one.

Whipped out some random 1/4" plate I picked up for cheap a couple years ago. I measured the width and its only about 1/2 wider than my current skid and will fit perfect. Hit it up with a wire wheel and cut it to length.

Then I drilled the mounting holes to mount it to my belly skid and mocked it up

It was right at this time that I decided I don't want to spend my only day off fabricating a skid. I have work tomorrow and most of next weekend then I go underway on my ship for a week. I decided I'd just finish up the things that need to be done to drive it and work on the trail rated stuff later.

So the only thing I needed to do to get it road worthy again was to finish up my air intake. All I needed to do was plug the TJ PCV inlet because it was in a bad spot then drill and install a fitting in a better place for my PCV and vacuum hose.

Now it was time to take it on a long cruise. I drove it around on the highway and surface streets to see if I have any negative characteristics. She drives like a one ton rig on 42" Pitbulls

Good news is I can't induce any bump steer or death wobble at all so that's good.

After about an hour of driving I stopped to take these pictures and do another bolt check. I noticed I did have a jam nut come loose on my track bar. I will verify the axle is still center and re-torque it.

post #469 of 487 Old 03-24-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got a few things done on the Jeep last weekend and today.

Got the engine skid finished up and mounted. I was able to re-use my old mount on the drivers side but had to build a new mount on the passenger side to clear the upper link. I threw a couple nutserts in the bottom of my engine mount and used some 1x1 square tubing.

Old skid next to the new

nutsert in engine mount

and mounted

I wanted some protection for the steering box since I no longer have leafs but was not really in the mood to build one from scratch so I ordered a PS YJ box skid.

Of course it didn't fit and I had to modify it to sit correctly. Isn't supposed to sit all wonky like this I don't believe.

I was able to get it modified and mounted

I don't understand why it sits offset though? I wish it actually covered the whole box and was centered. You can see how far off center it is. Oh well just annoying to look at.

One other thing I needed to knock out was to brace my rear truss. I am using an Artec truss built for a ford 9" that I had to modify to fit my Eaton. The top is ony 1/4" and the side pieces are 10G. I noticed that the top where my upper link mounts are had started to twist so I cut out a piece of 3/16" and tied it into the rest of the housing for more strength.

Not sure if you can see the top plate starting to warp/twist

Made a cardboard template and cut out some 3/16" plate.

Quick weld job and some paint.

And now some humor. Last weekend I went to rotate the tires on my truck and was curious what the Jeep drives like with normal tires. So I pulled the Pitbulls and mounted up my 32" Cooper ATPs. Went for a cruise and I was extremely surprised at how she handled. Drove straight, no shimmies or vibrations and I hit 74mph in 5th gear and still had some left to give. Drove like a regular Jeep

87TPIYJ and NHfireLJ like this.
post #470 of 487 Old 03-24-2019, 06:40 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'd leave those wheels and just cruise da mall!!! I can't believe the twisting on your truss from the link mounts... nice catch...

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #471 of 487 Old 03-25-2019, 05:43 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
lol, Don't skip leg day!

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #472 of 487 Old 04-17-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Been knocking out some small things. I have a trip planned for the weekend of the 26th.

I got tired of bending my tub and rockers when things get rough in the rocks. I have bent in both sides so far so I decided to add some tube to the rockers to stiffen them up. I used 1.75x.188 DOM. I chose a little thicker wall thickness to hopefully make them last a little longer.

Bent them up then cut the to size and got them welded in. Having the air/hydraulic conversion on the bender is a lifesaver when it comes to thicker tube, in fact I guarantee I wouldn't even be able to bend the .188 wall by hand.

few pics

87TPIYJ and NashvilleTJ like this.
post #473 of 487 Old 04-17-2019, 07:57 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice addition...

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #474 of 487 Old 04-18-2019, 05:12 AM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Looks good. One of these days I will buy some tube and do the same.... and build some fenders... and a cage. When I do mine I was going to weld some expanded metal to the top for a step. I'm sure that tube will get a little slick with muddy boots.

post #475 of 487 Old 04-18-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
Nice addition...
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
Looks good. One of these days I will buy some tube and do the same.... and build some fenders... and a cage. When I do mine I was going to weld some expanded metal to the top for a step. I'm sure that tube will get a little slick with muddy boots.
I have some perforated sheet that I was going to weld in but I think it looks better without it. I also don't plan to use it as a step as much as I do for more body protection.
NHfireLJ likes this.
post #476 of 487 Old 04-25-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Uh oh. What's this...

87TPIYJ and Randonexplosion like this.
post #477 of 487 Old 04-25-2019, 07:09 PM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to wheeling pics!

Quick question, how long is your upper link vs your lowers up front? Pic of your frameside bracket?

post #478 of 487 Old 04-26-2019, 06:21 AM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Where ya goin?

post #479 of 487 Old 04-28-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Looking forward to wheeling pics!

Quick question, how long is your upper link vs your lowers up front? Pic of your frameside bracket?

All 3 of my links are the same length up front. I dont remember the measurements. I can grab those for you in a bit when I get some pics of the frame side brackets for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
Where ya goin?

Went to Icebreakers at Big dogs.
post #480 of 487 Old 04-28-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just got back from Icebreakers. Had a problem with my ARB so I was 3 wheeling it all weekend. I think when I had the axle removed for the 3 link something maybe when into the hole in the top of the housing and is causing a clog in the copper ail line inside. I get air all the way to the axle bulkhead fitting but I cant get it to lock. I need to tear open the axle and trouble shoot.

Besides 3 wheeling the Jeep performed great. The front 3 link was flawless and had no ill side effects. It didn't bounce at all or cause any unloading that I can see or feel yet. Even though I didn't have a front locker I still ran all the hard trails with my one ton buddies and only needed to pull cable twice to get past a section that kept denying me. Everyone including myself was surprised I kept up all weekend and didn't break anything in the process.

As always I only got a couple pictures to prove I actually took it out. Threw it on the ramp real quick to check clearances.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in