Project White Squid --- one ton YJ - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
 218Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #451 of 496 Old 02-10-2019, 08:51 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Holy cow, that’s bad a## Chris. Looks great. And 2 x .500? There’s the beef.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 496 Old 02-18-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Continuing to chip away at this thing on the weekends. Lots of progress done this weekend.

First order of business was to fix the giant hole cutout in my frame to my drag link and pandhard bar mounts. I first plated the bottom then I built some fish plates that mimic the cutout in hopes of regaining some strength. It is built around the shock hoop and fish plated on both sides of the frame. The shock hoop was also fulled welded to the top of the stock frame below all of the plating before I welded up the plating. This whole setup feels extremely strong to me. All of this was done with 3/16" plate.

You know how sometimes you have great ideas but they just don't pan out the way you wanted them to. That's basically the story of my bump stops. I had plans of running my bump stops behind the shocks and building the bump pad on top of my lower link mount. After spending half of the day building bump stops, mounts and lower bump pads then mocking everything up I ended up defeated. I tried to run them at the same angle as the shock and have everything jive but while the axle is drooping the shocks kept coming in contact with the bump cans. The picture below is as far back as I can move the mounts and still have the lower bump pad on the link mount. I finally called it quits and will revisit at another time. I think I will just have to have my pad come about 2" off the back of the link mount, which will require some creative reinforcing. I know in the pictures it looks like theres plenty of room but I run out quick.

Here's my attempt

After that I pulled the axle for final welding and started building my shock tower brace and reinforcing my shock tabs on the hoops.

One problem with the new shock hoops and brace is that my Airaid intake tube and filter no longer fits.

Can't fit here

Can't fit under

After a little online searching it looked like a TJ intake tube might work. So I promptly drove by my buddies house and stole the intake tube off his TJ sitting in his driveway while he was at work

This should work

And with a little PVC as an extension it fits perfect. I will need to add a 90 degree elbow to the PCV nipple and drill and insert my vacuum tube going to the charcoal canister but overall I think this will fit my needs. I am going to hop on Ebay when Im done writing this and snag one for myself and return Tyler's.

Now it was time to get everything finish welded and painted.

I love having taps in every size I need. I burned in all of my links and track bar in about 20 minutes. Cranked the welder all the way up and burned it in nice and hot without worrying about distorting the threads. Taps really aren't as expensive as everyone says. I have 1.25, 7/8 and 3/4 in both left and right thread for all my links, steering and track bar. I picked up the 1.25 for about $40 a piece on Ebay and the 7/8 were like $25 a piece.

I wanted to see what the difference in weight was between my lower link with the internal sleeve and the upper link which is 1.75x.120. I can tell you my upper link feels like a feather compared to the lower. All of my links are the same length so it's a pretty apple to apple comparison. To get the weight I did what any sensible person would do..... I brought them inside and put them on my wife's bathroom scale

The lower link weighed in at 17.2lbs

The upper link was too light for the scale to measure it.

So I took a before and after of my weight first not holding the link then holding the link. looks to be about 5.4lbs. A little less than 1/3 the weight of my lowers.

And then I finally started painting. You can also see in the backround the reason for the 3 link. All of those leaf springs have been bent during my 4 offroad trips since switching to tons.

87TPIYJ and Azhunter1 like this.
post #453 of 496 Old 02-18-2019, 06:55 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

WOW... Just WOW... Beefy.... Seriously good work there Chris

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake

post #454 of 496 Old 02-19-2019, 06:13 AM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I love how you tied the frame plate into the shock hoop. Not any overkill there at all.

Why don't you just put the Air Raid on your buddies Jeep and keep his intake?

post #455 of 496 Old 02-19-2019, 04:22 PM
Bong_Holyeo

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome work man, looking forward to more updates
post #456 of 496 Old 02-24-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
WOW... Just WOW... Beefy.... Seriously good work there Chris
Thank you. Just trying to make it strong. I love what you've been doing on your rig lately. So jealous of the new V8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
I love how you tied the frame plate into the shock hoop. Not any overkill there at all.

Why don't you just put the Air Raid on your buddies Jeep and keep his intake?
I love overkill. I didn't throw my Airaid setup on my buddies Jeep because he has a TJ with Metalcloak fenders and YJ setup wont fit. Its ok, the intake tube only cost me $28 on Ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong_Holyeo View Post
Awesome work man, looking forward to more updates
Thanks, Im looking forward to getting her finished up and off road.
post #457 of 496 Old 02-24-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wanted to start the weekend off by fabricating a new tool part. I have the HF 4x6 horizontal/vertical band saw that I got off craigslist. I can't use the vertical function of it because I don't have the table that it comes with, so I decided to fab up a table that way when I start reworking my exhaust I can use this. Also one of the biggest gripes about the HF band saw is the flimsy stand and how short it is. Well I solved that by welding some 3x4 .250 tube with casters on the bottom. It really stiffened the frame and made it more sturdy with some weight down below. I can also easily roll it around the shop without it constantly falling over unlike every time I tried to move it before.

Then I switched back to the Jeep and decided to drill out my steering arm and pitman arm. Pitman arm took about 45 seconds and the steering arm took about 2 hours because my pilot bit broke off inside the hole and I had to drill through it and hammer at it with a punch. I bent about 4 of my punches and broke 6 drill bits but I finally got it.

Hole looks oval in the picture but it's not

And now lets get a quick rough alignment

Now its time to throw the axle back under the Jeep and start reassembly. Didn't get too many pictures but it also wasn't anything exciting. Once I got everything re-installed I drooped it out again to setup my limit straps I got from Ruffstuff. I figure they'll stretch about 1-1.5" so I set them up at 12.5" of droop.

Then I threw a tire on and stuffed one side to see if I can run my current fenders or if Id need new ones again. With my old setup I would hit the back of the fender with my tire when I was stuffed and turned on one side. Because I didn't really stretch the front at all during the 3 link I figured I'd have to build new ones and even bought a stick of tube so do so.

Once I stuffed it up it looked like If I was able to get the axle forward by about 1/4" I'd be able to clear everything. So I did just that. I brought the axle to full stuff on both sides and moved it forward 1/4". Now my track bar clears my diff cover top bolt by about 1/8". Perfect. So now with the axle pushed forward I drooped one side again and left passenger stuffed. Now the tire just starts to hit right as the steering stop touches. Good enough for government work!!!

All I had to do now was hook up my hydro assist, fill my diff with fluid, bleed the brakes, get my front bumper back on and then it was time to charge the shocks.

Axle fully drooped out and tires are barely pulled off the ground

And BOOOM!!!!

currently the shocks are charged at 200 psi of NO2 and I have about 5 3/8" of up travel. I may lower it about an inch. Took it for a test drive and everything checks out. Felt great and have ZERO negative side effects. I didn't drive it too much because it's getting late and I have no exhaust right now, only a down pipe.

post #458 of 496 Old 02-24-2019, 08:00 PM
Azhunter1

I bought a wrecked 92yj one time for $500. Got the seats the roll bar, the doors the tires and wheels (almost new tires 31/10.5 bfg at) and the dash and turned around and sold it for $600. It had a 4cyl and front end damage. but the guy wanted the tub, axles, and motor for his rusted out jeep from Wisconsin, that was burning oil and had very little compression. He was happy and I was happier!
post #459 of 496 Old 02-24-2019, 08:09 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Looks awesome Chris.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #460 of 496 Old 02-24-2019, 10:18 PM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Damn dude, great work!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

post #461 of 496 Old 02-25-2019, 06:12 AM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Awesome.

post #462 of 496 Old 02-25-2019, 10:48 AM
Jakegrovephoto

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Project White Squid --- one ton YJ

Really coming along!

Side question: where’d you grab the rubber bottoms on those bumpstops?

Planning to go with a hydraulic stop in the future?

post #463 of 496 Old 02-26-2019, 09:25 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome Chris.... So jelly of your build.... Love the end result now... Whats next? V8?

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #464 of 496 Old 02-26-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhunter1 View Post
I bought a wrecked 92yj one time for $500. Got the seats the roll bar, the doors the tires and wheels (almost new tires 31/10.5 bfg at) and the dash and turned around and sold it for $600. It had a 4cyl and front end damage. but the guy wanted the tub, axles, and motor for his rusted out jeep from Wisconsin, that was burning oil and had very little compression. He was happy and I was happier!
Its always good when you can make a profit after taking what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Looks awesome Chris.
Thanks Jeff. Still a little more to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Damn dude, great work!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks Randon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakegrovephoto View Post
Really coming along!

Side question: where’d you grab the rubber bottoms on those bumpstops?

Planning to go with a hydraulic stop in the future?
They are from Prothane. Part number 19-1320-BL. The plan is to probably run a hydraulic bump in the future. Still need to figure out how I'm going to mound these a little later down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
Awesome Chris.... So jelly of your build.... Love the end result now... Whats next? V8?
Next? Hopefully wheel. I just got tired of bending leaf packs every single trip. Besides that I really didn't mind the leaf springs. I would love a V8 but think I will wait a little bit for that project. I will be deploying again later this year and just want to enjoy what I have for now.
post #465 of 496 Old 02-28-2019, 08:04 PM
Azhunter1

Awesome build!! You have definitely put a lot of time into it but the nice thing is, You built it and that makes it even better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in