Project: Underestimated - 2001 TJ LCG Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 71 Old 02-20-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
caronaxtr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
If your wife would not like driving with a lunch box, than I think she would likely not like driving with the Detroit either. That leaves the selectables, either the OX or the ARB. I'm partial to the ARB's myself. Cant's go wrong there, although the OX cable system is a bit less complex than the ARB with the associated air compressor.

I'm enjoying your build and the style of your write-up. Loved the post about the delivery driver...
NashvilleTJ; I had a Lunch Box (Lock Right) in my D35 on my 99TJ. I wasn't a fan of it at all, although they are so cheap their hard to pass up! I've never had an OX would kinda like to try one, but they really are quite pricey & I don't know about the diff cover actuator. I figure I'm going to need a compressor anyways so ARB's are probably the way I'll end up going.

Thanks for following, I like to keep the threads light and funny. Sometimes I get more followers.......

Random........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon26 View Post
Personally I build what I want, the wife can suck it. So for me, that means Detroit’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Crashalot
Recon26; "The Wife Can Suck It", I love it! My thoughts exactly.... I have a buddy that just swapped a 9" & a D44 into his YJ with a V8. He went Detroits front & rear and I can't wait to drive his Jeep to see what the Detroits are like. I'll hopefully pull the trigger on gears & lockers in 4-6 weeks. Only Time Will Tell.....

1) Should I grab a YJ HP D30, and tube it & locked or just stick with the LP D30 and lock it? I know the YJ is a leaf spring & I'd have to weld on all the spring buckets, control arm brackets, etc to it.

2) Anyone have any idea as to where to get TeraLow kit or similar kits for the NP231?

Stay tuned as Poops about to get real....

Builds:
2002 WJ-ARB's f/r, swapped D44A, 4.5" Clayton, 33" SST Pro's, winch, armor, and other doo-dads
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 TJ-T.B.D. as I'm still buildin' it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by caronaxtr2; 02-20-2019 at 06:14 PM. Reason: I'm a little slow after the day @ work I had today.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 Old 02-20-2019, 06:45 PM
Recon26

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Project: Underestimated - 2001 TJ LCG Build

Didnt certain year XJs have the HP30? That would bolt right in if Im not mistaken.

I think those Teralow kits are no longer a thing. Find a Rubicon transfercase and be ahead of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
Oh...and if you love your rig, do not buy rough country, or skyjacker anything :)
post #33 of 71 Old 02-20-2019, 07:13 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Project: Underestimated - 2001 TJ LCG Build

Quote:
I think those Teralow kits are no longer a thing. Find a Rubicon transfercase and be ahead of the game.

I agree with that one. I had the teralow kit prior to doing the Atlas, and that thing screamed in low range. The gear whine from the planetaries was loud enough to be embarrassing.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #34 of 71 Old 02-21-2019, 10:41 PM
tyvanwie

1993 XJ Cherokee 

92-99 XJ’s all had HP30 non-vacuum disconnect axles. Pickup one of those instead of a YJ axle. Pre-92 we’re vacuum disco, 99-01 were LP30.
post #35 of 71 Old 02-23-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
caronaxtr2

Quote:
Didnt certain year XJs have the HP30? That would bolt right in if Im not mistaken.

I should have clarified my past post about the HP D30 front axle. When I went to the P-N-P they had a 1996 Jeep XJ that I was gonna pull the front axle from &...... I can't believe it but it was a 2wd XJ..... All my years living in Buffalo NY, I have never seen a 2wd Jeep XJ & there one is...
So, all the P-N-P's i've called don't have any pre 1999 XJ's but the YJ HP D30's are everywhere around here.

Thanks for the heads up on the Tera Low, I'll keep searching for a Rubicon Transfer Case & see what I can come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
I agree with that one. I had the teralow kit prior to doing the Atlas, and that thing screamed in low range. The gear whine from the planetaries was loud enough to be embarrassing.
x2 on the info on the Tera Low. I just remember Fred on Dirt Every Day running the Tera Low kit & the low gearing sounded like a great idea. But now that you say it, his TJ "Tubesock" would scream like hell when he was hard on the skinny pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
92-99 XJs all had HP30 non-vacuum disconnect axles. Pickup one of those instead of a YJ axle. Pre-92 were vacuum disco, 99-01 were LP30.
Yep, I've got all that figured out. My 2001 XJ had the LP & I swapped in a HP D30 from a 96 XJ. It really treated me good & noticeable gain in ground clearance.

The only reason I really was searching for a HP is, since i'm only looking at a 2-2.5" lift I wanted all the clearance I could get. I'll keep searching, they pop up every now & then in the local P-N-P around here.

Meanwhile today while surfing the interweb, I placed a small order with Summit & add to the pile....

So Here's where I'm at as of now, My goal was to keep this build under $10,000, but as I'm moving forward along with eveyone's suggestions here it's growing slowly.....

Here's whats left to buy / sell to finish the build..

At some point i'll actually start installing these parts onto the Jeep....... Keep checking back because at some point the actual build will start...

Builds:
2002 WJ-ARB's f/r, swapped D44A, 4.5" Clayton, 33" SST Pro's, winch, armor, and other doo-dads

post #36 of 71 Old 02-23-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
caronaxtr2

Figured with the weather being not too bad today I figured I'd work on the grill & mount the blinkers.....

Started with the grill......

And had to decide where to mount the LED's, I looked to see where they were mounted on the YJ's & CJ's.

YJ: The blinkers are more centered vertically but are closer to the grill..

CJ: The blinkers are roughly centered below the headlights , Grill, Side of grill & bottom of the grill.

So I liked them closer to the grill rather than centered in the area below the headlight.

I centered them 2" off the grill & 4" up from the bottom..

Drilled out the 2.5" hole as the directions said to & inserted the Grommet & then the LED.

I'm not too happy with the outcome, the OD of the back of the Grommet is 2.25" and with the hole being 2.5" there is a lot of play. Not horrible, but also not Great.

I may buy the same LED's that have the flange that you screw down or see if I can't get some Stainless Steel screws & nuts and use them on these grommets. We'll see..

Here is what it looks like now.

I like it, just wish they mounted better.

As I'm working in the garage the mail man drops off a package....

Open the box & its' my Spare Tire Delete...

Really nice, Very pleased with this from TNT

Now unfortunatley I just purchased the Poison Spyder Brake/Blinker LEDS that mount the same way, I'm probably going to buy the same ones that mount with a flange that you screw in versus the ones I purchased that mount with the Grommet......

Progress is progress.......

Builds:

post #37 of 71 Old 02-23-2019, 05:15 PM
tyvanwie

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Check Craigslist. I’m seeing XJ part outs popping up all the time around me, a lot of which are still mostly complete.
post #38 of 71 Old 02-24-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
caronaxtr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Check Craigslist. Im seeing XJ part outs popping up all the time around me, a lot of which are still mostly complete.
Tyvanwie, I have been searching through Craigslist & Market Place. No one at the moment is parting out an XJ, I did find a HP D30 on Ebay for $375.00 +/- and $100.00 +/- for shipping....

Not sure if I want to get involved with all that, although it was form Utah & it would save me some money not having to replace rotted / rusted out control arm brackets & spring buckets.......

Still not sold on going HP if I don't have to.....

Builds:

post #39 of 71 Old 03-09-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
caronaxtr2

Sorry I haven't updated much recently, I was spending my Jeep fund on other toys. Cabela's was having a "can't pass up" sale on guns & I ended up picking up a new pistol to add to my small but growing collection...

Smith & Wesson M&P Full Size in .45 Caliber.

Oh ya, I picked up a flashlight / Laser combo for the pickatinny rail. The Lazer, ya, it's Green & not the standard Red. (SO COOL)

My collection so far....

Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm & Springfield Armory 1911 .45

Well back on track, today (3/9/19) the weather was above freezing & had the opportunity to get little Underestimated in the garage & get some work done.

Drilled out my TnT spare tire delete out for my 3rd break light mod.

Here's how she looked "Stock"..

All mounted up & wired up. On a side note, I purchased some black spray paint to paint the TnT bracket up & it must have been old @ Lowes and wouldn't mix. No matter how much I tried nothing..... I had some other black spray paint so I used that, and guess what. Yep the nozzle clogs up after I start...... Holy %*&#)[email protected]#$%! So I'll have to take it off later & respray it. Sorry for my little rant, here are the pictures.

& with the Brake Pedal depressed

I had 4 LED's, but decided to use only 3. I'm not sure that was a good decision or not. Still very happy to get that spare tire & mount off the back of the Jeep.

I still have to figure out how I'm going to mount the LED license plate light as the brake lights make contact when the door closes. No big deal, i'll figure it out.

I had some LED's left over form my WJ & decided to install them in the Cluster to brighten it up.

No Lights:

Lights turned on (old light bulbs):

Andddddd with the blue LED's installed:

Only downfall is the dimmer doesn't work anymore because of the LED's, but it's worth it. I think all I need is a resister or something & I'll search the web to see if I can't figure it out.

Other things that got done today, I've been pulling out the interior panels (dash & such) and scrubbing them down with Simple Green. They really aren't getting clean, but for a 21 year old Wrangler that probably had it's top off for a good portion of its life I guess it's to be expected.

So, the plan for tomorrow is to get the old license plate bracket off, pull the old brake lights off the rear & hopefully mount up the Poison Spyder lights. I'd also like to get to working on the switch pod i'm still working on.

All that after I get back from the local gun range. Me & some buddies are going to blow off a few rounds & by a few i'm thinking a few hundred!!!!

Builds:

post #40 of 71 Old 03-10-2019, 03:43 PM
Aardemae
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Digging the new dash lights! Also digging that stainless Colt!
caronaxtr2 likes this.
post #41 of 71 Old 03-17-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
caronaxtr2

So I can't just sit here & wait for New York State to send me my paperwork to get this thing inspected.

I ordered up a Tap & Die set to ream out the bolts for the front bumper. I only had 2 bolts holding the front bumper on & since the winch plate showed up the other day.

So I cleaned all the threads out & and installed some new Grade 8 Bolts.

This Raised Winch Plate is really nice, since it's raised up it fits over the swaybar & sits back further. I like that the winch will be set back.

Now that I had that done, I didn't know what else to do but twidle my thumbs.....

I figured I'd start working on the switch pod that I'm going to make. Started cutting out the ashtray in the center console.

Grabbed some cardboard and started making up a template.

The template all taped together.

Grabbed my sheet of Polystyrene, Acetone, Razor Blades, etc & got to work. After taking the mockup apart & cutting the same shapes out of the Polystyrene then gluing them together with the Acetone & this is what you end up with......

Test Fit.

Took some time off & went to our property with my father. Took the WJ out and as normal the WJ performed flawlessly! I can't get over how good my WJ performs. With the warmer weather we've had lately, there wasn't much snow but the ground was like soup. Had the front & rear ARB's locked in just about the whole time.

Afterwards, in our neighbors driveway....

When I got back home, I did some more work to the switch pod. Worked on the inserts where the switches will be mounted.

The face plate for the switches.

Anddddddd Test fit again.

I'm going to add a section the bottom where I'll put some USB charging ports & some 12v cigarette chargers.

I'm also going to add some LED strips for add'l interior lights when needed.

The Switches I'm planning on mounting are;
[Drivers Heated Seat] - [Winch Power] - [Winch In/out buttons] - [Front Locker] - [Rear Locker] - [ARB Comp.] - [Pass. Heated Seat]

In order to do the above, I went onto Amazon today & bought these:

[Winch Power]

[Winch In/Out buttons]

Since I was already on Amazon, I might as well buy my body lift.... It was cheaper here than on 4WD or Quadratec

Almost forgot to mention the Smokin deal I got today......

Received an email from 4WD.com for a tire sale.

Basically buy 3 & get 1 free! I think there was some other sales too....

Grabbed these

I've got to get some balance beads to mount them up. Regular price is $259.99/ea...... Sale price was $194.99/ea (bought 3 & got 4th FREE). All 4 tires came to $704.96. I've been wanting to try the Pro Comp Tires, but never did. Figured this would be a good time to try them out. Much cheaper than buying the BFG's I was going to buy......

Whelp, TAX Return is now spent.....

I'm sure the UPS delivery people are going to need to send a few people to unload those 35's......

Builds:

post #42 of 71 Old 03-18-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
caronaxtr2

Didn't get anything done today, but I did make another purchase today because of the ol St. Patricks Day Sales.

Morris 4x4 had a $100 off sale so I figured I'd pick this up today....

Figured what the "O" Hell I was going to buy it anyhow...

This is where I'm at now, the list of what I've bought is growing..

While the list of things I need is shrinking.

Builds:

post #43 of 71 Old 03-18-2019, 08:02 PM
Recon26

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I love that WJ, do you have a build for that, too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
Oh...and if you love your rig, do not buy rough country, or skyjacker anything :)
post #44 of 71 Old 03-19-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
caronaxtr2

Quote:
I love that WJ, do you have a build for that, too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I do in my signature there's a link, but i'll put it here too: https://www.jeepforum.com/#/topics/3831897

& thanks, I love my WJ. I built it the right way the first time (anyone on here should know what i'm talking about). Its unstopable for the kind of wheeling I do here in NY. No issues keeping up with built TJ's, JK's etc. Everyone points & laughs till they see it perform...... then they are amazed!
Attached Thumbnails
20180520_185523_1553015193769.jpg   20180609_162300_1553015304918.jpg  
NashvilleTJ likes this.

Builds:

post #45 of 71 Old 03-20-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
caronaxtr2

Well that was fast! Got home today to see this in front of the garage...

They are BIG. Think i'll need a bit of a lift to fit them under the lil' ol' TJ.

Also, as I walk around to the front door there's a little box waiting for me....

Body Lift showed up today too....

I'm dying to get this project underway. Wish Albany would just send me my paperwork!

Builds:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in