Project Predator - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 Old 04-21-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
PredatorNC

2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks!

Ya know when they tell ya that BS about if you won the lottery and you didn't need to make money, whatever you do as a hobby you should do as your job...this would be it for me! Working on vehicles, big or small is where I get my kicks! Everything I have ever done, since my first car... a 1970 VW bug, I have taught myself. The first few times on something new is somewhat scary, but being older and much more patient makes it much better! That and the fact that I have enough vehicles now, if I cant finish doing whatever to one I have another I can drive!

I do have to admit that doing the SYE was somewhat intimidating...as was the rear locker.

If in doubt...HIT THE GAS!! It may not always be the right decision, but it will end the suspense!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
PredatorNC

2010 JK Wrangler 

So long story short...I order some Rubicon Express upper rear control arms. When the UPS man handed me the box I already knew something was wrong...it was way too light. Sure enough, when I opened it there was only one control arm! So I slid it back into the box and call the place I had ordered it...Rockridge 4WD. Jeff, the owner, which I had placed a few orders with now couldn't believe that they shipped me one arm and promptly called the company that shipped it out and got the correct order sent. The kicker was when I looked to explain what I had to Jeff I started noticing how the arm really looked. There were not any Zerk fittings, a dent in the long part of the tube and black marks on the end with the bushing. Crazy...it almost looked like it was a reject or something, but the bag it was in was not opened or had any marks of re-sealing. This did make me question the quality control at Rubicon Express, but so many people think it's a good product I'll just have to see what it looks like when they get here tomorrow.

I will be excited to finally be able to get rid of the TC drop...its such a eyesore! Besides...I think I'll need the extra clearance for Uwharrie week after next! Pictures will follow that trip!!

If in doubt...HIT THE GAS!! It may not always be the right decision, but it will end the suspense!
post #33 of 37 Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
PredatorNC

2010 JK Wrangler 

I recieved the "pair" of RE upper control arms from UPS yesterday. I pulled them from the box to look them over. They seem stout and for all intents do the job I'll be asking them to do. For over-all fit and finish...Meh. Ding's, looks like one section of tube was globbed while welding, chipped paint, etc. The bushing end of one of them looked wore, paint-wise...just a lot things that take away from it esthetically. I don't know who does the quaility control down there at Rubicon Express...but they need some training.

post #34 of 37 Old 04-26-2012, 06:35 PM
JaikYJ

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great work so far. Sorry to hear about your control arms. Might be worth brining it to their attention again see if they can do anything else for you.
Hope you have have a good trip wheeling.

87 YJ(sold), 97 TJ(sold), 99 TJ(daily)
03 R1 (fun)68 Mustang Coupe(summer)
67 Fastback(resto)
post #35 of 37 Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
PredatorNC

2010 JK Wrangler 

Installed the rear upper control arms today. Quick enough work. I took out the stock ones, then jacked up the rear axle, with a screwdriver between the track bar and the gas tank skid plate. I took measurements then and made them that length.

After they were installed I disconnected the front sway bar and flexed it out. With the left rear flexed up it was rubbing on the tank skid, but not by much. With the right rear flexed up it still had at least a 1/4 inch between them so I am pretty happy with that.

Took it out for a test drive and no vibes up to 70 mph so again, I am happy with it.

I wasn't quite sure what i was suppose to do with the E brake lines so i loosely zip tied them to the new arms since they were bolted to the stock ones.

I will be going to Uwharrie this weekend so that will be the ultimate test of all the things I have done to it so far. My brother will be going with me and we will have cameras and a GoPro for videos so I'll try to post them up when I get things all sorted out.

post #36 of 37 Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
PredatorNC

2010 JK Wrangler 

Trip to Uwharrie...the ol' girl did great!

post #37 of 37 Old 10-07-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
PredatorNC

2010 JK Wrangler 

Update

So went wheelin' a few times now and the ol' girl has done me well. No additional mods for now due to lack of funds and relocating but she's still fun to drive, even if it is just back and forth to work!

Made a small video of us going up Hurricane Creek in September, but thanks to the wonder copyright laws youtube says it's "Blocked" in 228 countries!

Here it is...sans the original background music of Ozzy's Crazy Train!

And here is the edited version with youtube music... *sigh*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in