Project New Start - My 05 LJ build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 12-09-2014, 05:35 AM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I like what your doing with the LJ!

As you saw my thread.. I am in the same boat as you were having 2 jeeps and going to transfer parts from one to the other.

What did you exactly remove from your 98 to your LJ?

I was going to take my tires off for now put them on the canyon rims, take out my stereo as its a 1.5DIN GPS that fits the stock opening, and perhaps remove the 5.25" Front speakers along with NALIN plates. I already pulled the winch off as well as I am rebuilding that over winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 12-09-2014, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
I like what your doing with the LJ!
As you saw my thread.. I am in the same boat as you were having 2 jeeps and going to transfer parts from one to the other.
what did you exactly remove from your 98 to your LJ? .
Thanks! She's been "Done" for a couple months now, going to update this thread tonight. I basically swapped a few things I liked off my '98. My ecode headlights, battery, Alpine headunit with amp, tuffy center console, daylighters, grab handles, floor mats etc.

You have a nice clean slate to start from! You're going to love the LJ, the extra space is excellent, sometimes I do miss the swb, but I don't think I'd go back.

{Project
-'05 LJ build }~{SOLD '98 TJ -
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
post #33 of 39 Old 12-09-2014, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
The Build Continues!

With the BL/MML installed, and My wheels curing in my makeshift Paint booth, I began to install the goodies...
I went with Metalcloak Front LCA and Trac bar, Hopefully these suckers would kill the deathwobble

My New to me OME HD Springs, No spring compressor needed, Just Get those axles Droopin!

I want to say all 4 corners went on easily, but that would be a lie...Of course The rear upper shock bolt sheared off in the nutcert. This gave me a reason to go purchase the Dremel I've been eyeing for awhile, and with the 1" BL, access to the top of the spring bucket was not a huge deal.

Another night on jackstands for the LJ...

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...

post #34 of 39 Old 12-09-2014, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Back on all 4!

A few days went by, and I finally was able to get my wheels to the tireshop to get my 33's mounted

At This point, I could hardly wait, and got them mounted as quick As I could. I thought I bought enough lift to squeeze these tires in, but unfortunatly I ended up having to Trim some Fenders, added 5" bumpstop extensions and THEN add some 4" Wheel spacers to get the tires mounted.....But the Stance Was incredible!....................................... ..........

And that was the last time I was allowed to Borrow the Scion from my sister

I quickly realized My mistake, and Mounted the Tires into their rightful place.

Much Better!!!! With a quick tape measure alignment, and a double check Of all bolts, I was ready to see if I could get the Deathwobble to rear its ugly Head........And It Didn't!!!!! I was hitting all the usual suspects, and she didn't even wiggle!
I Could tell right away why people say The OME HD (934 & 949) is a heavy spring rate lift, Because it is!!! With no spare tire, and a hardtop, My stockish LJ was riding a little on the TOO stiff side. I could only imagine what this would have been like on a bare TJ!

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...
post #35 of 39 Old 12-09-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Add Some LED!

I wanted to mount the tire to the stock carrier, since these tires were only a few pounds heavier than stock tires. Also, I was never a fan of the stock 3rd brake light, and it was only in the way, So I ordered up a nice round LED to mount in the hub of the Spare. Much better!

And While I was at it, I snagged some pricey LED bulbs for the backup lights, hoping to get more output. The Color change was great, but the output wasn't exactly $45 worth(probably due to the stock reflectors sucking!) But I kept the bulbs just for the looks...

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...
post #36 of 39 Old 12-09-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
With only a day and a half of driving under the new lift, My dad and I packed the Jeep up and got ready to put it through Its final test...A Road Trip To Maryland that would be filled with beach, Camping and NCAA Lax finals

A bit nervous with the uneasy feeling of deathwobble still left in my stomach, I wasn't sure what to expect, but the Jeep handled it flawlessly.

We camped out at Assateague State park, Where wild horses run around in flocks. Very cool!

This was a great test for my new suspension, and it handled the choppy parts of the beach with ease!

The Ride with a load in the back was great, Nice and controlled! The jeep was no longer bottoming out at every bump

The weather was perfect the entire weekend, and the Lacrosse games were fun .What a great weekend it was! Besides the fact that the hardtop was dead silent on the highway, and it was nice to be able to lock the jeep up with all the camping gear in maryland, The only way it could have been better was if I had a soft top for the beach!

After putting well over a thousand miles on the jeep, I was a happy jeep owner once more. No longer afraid to drive down the highway knowing that a single bump could send me into violent oscillations off a bridge and or sudden death.

More to come.......

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...
post #37 of 39 Old 12-10-2014, 06:59 AM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Really like the look of the 33's with the Canyon wheels. I am laying out my plans for the spring on what I'm doing and I was going to take my 31's from the Ecco wheels (97 TJ) and just put them straight on the LJ, but looking at the Canyon wheels now and realizing that the ones on the LJ are in perfect condition I think Ill have to un-mount my 31s and mount them onto the Canyons.

Hows the LJ with the 33s? Any difficulty with stock gearing? I know my little 97, 4banger after I added 31s and a winch upfront, with a 2" lift I felt the struggle..

post #38 of 39 Old 12-10-2014, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post

Hows the LJ with the 33s? Any difficulty with stock gearing? I know my little 97, 4banger after I added 31s and a winch upfront, with a 2" lift I felt the struggle..
The gearing is very doable with 6 speed and 33" (bfg 33" is more like 32"). 1st gear is actually useful on the street, and I'm turning around 2500 rpm at 70ish in 6th. Off road I wish it was a little lower, but it's fine. I'm more concerned with brakes, come spring time I'll take care of that.
Also The wheels on my LJ are actually Ravines, not canyons, but I agree, love the look with 33x10.5 on them.

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...
post #39 of 39 Old 01-22-2015, 07:03 PM
TexasTJ
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Coming along nicely, I only wish I had an LJ.

If you can't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them!

May TJ of the Month 2015

Tags
build , lj , paint , silver , wobble

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in