Project New Start - My 05 LJ build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 39 Old 04-22-2014, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
Gorgeous LJ, Keep us posted on updates! BTW rust does suck. Glad we don't deal with it in Texas.
Thanks!! And I'm always jealouse looking at pictures of CJ's and Yj's from your area with less rust and corrosion most tj's have up here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Great work so far on the LJ. I really want to do the hood paint mod and paint my hardtop. Maybe seeing how good yours turned out will motivate me?
Go for it! It was a little time consuming, but if the weather is good the paint will dry fast!

I guess I should update this thread now. My deathwobble returned Last week .......annnnnnddddd the jeep has been under the knife since

{Project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-'05 LJ build }~{SOLD '98 TJ -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 Old 04-22-2014, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Preparing for its first winter

To fix the deathwobble That appeared After I bought it (didn't happen during test drive, or hour of highway driving home.....DOH) I got the tires balanced, and rotated the front cupped tires to the rear. The tires had likely never been rotated, and the rears were still prefectly square. I also replaced my loose steering, ZJ tie rod Upgrade FTW! This thing is beefy and the deathwobbles were gone!

And that was it for awhile! I got to enjoy my new jeep in a bunch of upstate NY snow storms during this great winter.

Also With my '98 Sold, and the tractor in the shop, there was plenty of room in the garage for the LJ. (Found out New owner fixed the '98 frame, she's on the road again)

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...
post #18 of 39 Old 04-22-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Throw all the RTV away!!!...or just store it somwhere

With my front and rear diff leaking oil, I decided to pick up a couple lubelocker seals and a pair of grab handles for the rear passengers.

Guess which diff cover is ready for the seal, and which one isn't

I used a razor, some steel wool and a little bit of 320 sandpaper to make both mounting surfaces Super clean

And a quick shot of paint to clean up the covers...Later I would pull the plugs and reinstall with teflon tape.

A nice cheap upgrade, I was itching to do work on the jeep all winter but was pretty broke and decided to wait. That didn't last too long, After I got my job this spring and my deathwobble has since returned, I found a great deal on a Used OME Lift and decided to kill deathwobble forever

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...

post #19 of 39 Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Boxes!

Since the tires had gone from "Perfect" to "Unbalanceable" in under 5k miles...The fronts were cupped badly, and what appeared to be a slice in one of the sidewalls?! I needed new tires!!! Got a good deal on some 33x10.5 BFg KO. Decided because 1st gear is basically useless, and since I want to lower my highway RPM in 6th from 3k down to mid 2k.
Annnddd It didn't help I had already starting piecing together parts for a lift (Ome springs and shocks!!!) and since I needed a new trackbar and LCA bushing, I was going to do the lift right!

And a box came in

But while I had a few days to wait..for more goodies to arrive, I decided to fix my wheels! Ravines that have probably been never been cleaned once, annndddd probably kissed a few curbs Decided to go with the Graphite and Silver colors, But it would prove to be a bit of a challenge for my painting skills

These pics were taken after Degreaser and scrubbing...The inside shot is after and a actually scraping brake dust, chunks of asphalt and who knows what with a razor, These were going to need some work!

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...
post #20 of 39 Old 04-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Tspit80
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Like the rig. Keep up the good work☺
post #21 of 39 Old 04-27-2014, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
This brings us to about a week and a half ago, I sanded the wheels down...and then I sanded...and then sanded some more...But The work was well worth the reward!

This is after after 2 hours worth of work, for two nights in a row. (Guess which wheel was the spare!!!)

Then this is what they looked like after a good 5 hours on Saturday...Surprisingly didn't find a lot of actual curb rash, so I didn't even have to use a file. I Started with a razor to remove any flaking clear coat. Used alot of 80 grit on the palm sander on the internal part of the wheels, I even Lightly used a flap disk of 120 grit on a couple areas around the rim. Basically didn't remove much of any material from the wheel. Hell, I Didn't even remove all the clearcoat, as I understand it, Clearcoat is simply another layer of paint. A lot of the finish on the wheels was solid, so only a quick scuffing with some 220-320 was necessary in those areas(or that's from what I've read!). At this point I washed the wheels and prepared them for primer......

But then Winter came back, and took away my only paint booth!
To be continued!

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...
post #22 of 39 Old 04-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Altonymous

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Saw your post in my build and figured I'd come take a look at yours. Looks like you are working hard on yours too. Good luck with the death wobble. I have a 97 TJ that didn't have it for the test drive but a week later when I was headed to go off-roading for the first time with it, the DW started 5 minutes from the house. I went anyway. :P It was wheels, passenger knuckle, & drag link. The wheels were bent to hell, the knuckle had wallowed out ruining the drag link too.. I didn't figure that out of course until I replaced the track bar.. which makes me wonder if the track bar was ever the problem. Anyway, good luck!
post #23 of 39 Old 04-28-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Damn snow go away, I need to paint!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonymous View Post
Saw your post in my build and figured I'd come take a look at yours. *snip* Anyway, good luck!
Thanks! Best of luck to you too! I know I can't wait to get rid of this damn wobble for good!

Annnddd time to continue!!!!!

After the snow melted, The temperatures began to rise...By late Saturday morning, It was a toasty *50 in the sun and Windy!.... Warm enough to paint?!?! We'll find out! ...

With my "paintbooth" set behind the garage (block the wind!) , I layed 1 can of self etching Primer down...Hindsight two would have been better, primer is necessary on any bare metal, but not necessarily on a clear!

20 Mins later, I wetsanded with 400 (Go light!)....Smooooth!

While I was waiting for the wheels to dry after a wetsand, I quickly wirewheeled my New to me OME Coils

after primer I ended up painting 3 of the wheels from start to finish, then later repeated the process for the last two. I was using a timer on my laptop to keep track of coat times, and ended up laying 4-5 coats of silver, then graphite.

silver was done with no masking, then masked off for graphite......

And before you know it....you have this!

Coils looked good too, and were pretty easy to paint, used 1 1/2 cans for all 4 coils. Glossy!!!

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...
post #24 of 39 Old 04-28-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
With saturday come and gone as an all day paintfest, My tires had arrived at Mavis but The wheels needed lots of time to dry....The solution to the 7 day drying time and the 30*-40* days/nights I came up with was this. A bunch of plastic Almost completely blocking off a section in my basement. I then Had a dehumidifier running constantly, although humidity was already low, A space heater was not necessary as the unit gave off enough heat to bring the temperature inside the booth to a balmy 70*

While the wheels cured, the jeep was on jacks for a bit...Sunday was the start time to start pulling parts

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...
post #25 of 39 Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 PM
NumbSkull
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice mods!

How did the lift turn out?

I just picked up an 05 LJ. Looking to put a lift into it, and have been thinking about the OME. Did you have any trouble's installing it? Did it solve your death wobble?
post #26 of 39 Old 08-13-2014, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbSkull View Post
Nice mods!
How did the lift turn out?
I just picked up an 05 LJ. Looking to put a lift into it, and have been thinking about the OME. Did you have any trouble's installing it? Did it solve your death wobble?
I can't believe I haven't updated this build thread! I'll have to finish the story when I get home, but I'll give you a quick update for now...
I absolutely love the OME lift, nice and firm without being harsh. Handles 4 people with gear, 4 bikes and hardtop nicely. With new metal cloak trac bar and front lower control arms, I no longer have death wobble. The only issues I had installing the lift was removing the passenger rear shock, both bolts sheared off in the nutcerts ..... The good news is I finally own a dremel!

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...
post #27 of 39 Old 08-13-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
The Story Continues!

As I tore the jeep apart, boxes Began to arrive...Filled with goodies!

I Would be swapping out the front LCA, Trac bar, while installing OME 2.5 HD coils (with the 49's in the back!) along with a JKS 1.25" BL + MML. Add a few odds and ends, such as swaybar links F/R and fuel filler hose fix, I had my work cut out for me. Having the parts stacked and ready for install kept me motivated, It's tough to work all day and then wrench into the night, but I wasn't complaining

Removing parts for the most part was smoth going, everything came off relatively easily with some PB blaster and beers...Although I was fooled into thinking this would go smoothly, I was soon brought back into reality when I snapped both the rear passenger side upper shock bolts.....

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...
post #28 of 39 Old 08-13-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
why wait....Start Installing!!!!

I kicked off the build by installing the bodylift and motor mount combo, The bodylift went smooth as butter, the Motor mount also was easy, except for re-aligning the through bolt on install, having another person is definitely useful!!!! You will need a cut off wheel for the motor mount, as you have to trim one of the studs and then install a stud extension (with red loctite) over it. Don't trim too much off the original stud! Read the directions!

Since I had to remove the Plastic fuel filler bezel to do the bodylift, Naturally the GM Flapper Filler hose was next

Sorry for the blurry install pic, the important part of the picture is showing the angle at which It sits. Be sure to mark where the top of the flapper is so that It sits upright, or else this mod will not work. Also, Trim teeny tiny bits at a time, I trimmed a little more from the bottom than the top, and ended up with a no kink bend....Sweet! (although I wouldn't know if it actually worked or not for another week or so!!!)
...To be Continued......

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...
post #29 of 39 Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Where did you buy the GM hose from?
Part number ?
I did this same lift and links except I am running Bilstein shocks.
As for the shocks bolts I used an air chisel it took me longer to fire the compressor up than to knock the nuts out.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #30 of 39 Old 08-13-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
Where did you buy the GM hose from?
Part number ?
I did this same lift and links except I am running Bilstein shocks.
As for the shocks bolts I used an air chisel it took me longer to fire the compressor up than to knock the nuts out.
Nice! I followed this thread, was able to pick up the hose off amazon for cheap. Some people had issues accessing the filler hose, but the LJ has plenty of room to work around up there.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/05...w-fix-1335243/
I can safetly say It has worked flawlessly so far. Great fix, Go now!!!!

An air chisel would have been great,Unfortunatly I don't have access to air tools. I ended up buying a dremel and using a regular chisel, But I'll go into detail about that later

{Project
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Mike318 Says...

Tags
build , lj , paint , silver , wobble

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in