LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-05-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
grantsjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Project Felicity: 06 TJ Wrangler RHD V2403 Kubota Diesel Swap

Hey Guys,

So first off here is a picture of my 2006 Jeep Wrangler Right Hand Drive:

My TJ is pretty much bone stock, has just over 200K, 4.0L, 42RLE auto with a NP231-J transfer case. Has factory air conditioning that works, power steering, and cruise control which I added after I bought the Wrangler. Currently has a Dana 44 in the rear with a factory LSD on Goodyear Wrangler 235/75r15 tires which are great year round and dirt cheap.

I bought the Wrangler last summer, it was my first Wrangler and I love it, except for gas mileage. My daily driver is a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2.8l turbo diesel, which gets fantastic mileage and has a ton of torque. The Wrangler gets around 15 ~ 17 mpg, my Liberty gets just above 30mph highway, consistently 28 ~ 30mpg. Here's a picture of my Liberty:

The transmission I will be using is an AW4 out of a Cherokee.

I'm going with the AW4 for multiple reasons. First I injured my left knee a few years ago, and while I love manual transmission, an automatic makes off-roading so much more fun for me personally. Also has the added benefit that my kids prefer it as well, so they go on more wheeling adventures when we are in my automatic Wrangler.

Second I can just manual shift the AW4 by controlling two solenoids. Third I don't have to get an adapter from my NP231-J transfer case which is a huge cost savings as well. Really the main issue is there is no aftermarket transmission controller for the 42RLE transmission that is currently in my TJ, plus it has over 200K on it.

I'm going to be controlling the AW4 automatic transmission with an Arduino setup so hopefully later on I can program the Arduino to shift the AW4 automatically, but at the beginning it will just be a manual shift.

For transfer case I'm going to re-using my NP231-J, though I will be adding Teraflex's 2 Low kit, and I'll be adding an Extreme Short SYE kit on the back as well.

The Kubota V2403 Diesel engine should be perfect for this swap. I will have the horsepower of the 2.5L and way more torque than the 4.0!

I'm getting my adapter from Ken at KubotaSwappers.com. He is making me an adapter plate and accessory brackets and motor mounts so I can still have my Air Conditioning and Power Steering on my TJ.

In talking to Ken, he tells me I'll probably be closer to 110hp, and 300ish /lb once I dial in the turbo and the fuel pump on the V2403. The Kubota's from the factory were really detuned for reliability so they are running around 30% of their max fuel settings.

Now for the important bit! In talking with Ken from KubotaSwappers, from his experience in swapping these Kubota engines into XJ Cherokees, he said I should get into the mid 30s for MPG, depending on speed and gearing.

Right now I have 3.73 gears, which I'm going to leave alone until after I get the TJ running and see how it does. I might be doing a gear swap to 3.55s later on, not sure yet. My goal for my mileage will be 30 ~ 34mpg, effectively doubling my current MPG. However I'm really hoping to tune the turbo and fuel pump to get my closer to the 40mpg mark but really anything over 30mpg is going to be a win.

So to answer a few questions I know I'm going to get:

Why am I not lifting my Wrangler? I might in the future but I was my Wrangler back on the road asap!

Why not get a Honda if your worried about MPG? I really hate this question, but get asked constantly about it from co-workers and family. I'm 6'5", I don't fit in a Honda. I love my Jeeps, I own way too many, but having owned my Liberty CRD, it has shown me there is no reason why a Wrangler can't get decent fuel mileage and have a ton of torque at the same time.

Let me know what you think! I'm currently in the phase of getting all the parts I need, which has already been more than I was initially thinking. I will be posing updates each day I get new parts in or when I start getting the Wrangler torn done for the swap!

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Thanks
Grant

chris87xj and oldsalty like this.

1947 CJ-2A, 2006 Liberty CRD, 2006 RHD TJ Wrangler, 2006 Wrangler Golden Eagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-07-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
grantsjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
So UPS just came today and I have first shipment of parts that will be needed for this diesel swap. So I knew from reading several other swaps that trying to get my stock gauges to work on my TJ was going to be more of a headache than I was wanting to tackle. So I'm going to be putting Autometer gauges into my TJ.

My other goal with all my instrumentation is maximum resolution on all the information that is being presented to me. In short I want to have gauges in my TJ where I'm going to be using 70% ~ 80% of the gauges at all time.

To house the gauges I'm going with Autometer's Direct Fit Dash Panel #90011 for a TJ. I will have 2x 3-3/8 gauges and 4x 2-1/16 gauges. Here's a picture of the dash panel:

Here are some of the other gauges I got, an Autometer boost gauge and Autometer Quad Fuel, Volts, Oil Pressure and Water Temperature gauge.

I had a Transmission Temperature gauges that I never used from another project, because I want to keep a close watch on my AW4 so that will be going in my Dash Panel as well:

As I mentioned earlier, maximum resolution of information is one of the more important aspects of this build for me. The Kubota V1903 diesel engine will spin up to 3,000rpm, but not much higher, I've heard you can take them to 3,300 rpm but they start to float the valves, and you really aren't making more horsepower or torque. Trying to find a low RPM tachometer that was going to have good resolution was more difficult than I was expecting. Originally I wanted a 3-3/8 tachometer to sit next to the speedometer I have coming in, but the lowest RPM 3-3/8 tachometer Autometer had 6,000rpm.

I ended up getting an Autometer 2-5/8 4,000 RPM pedestal mount tachometer. This allow me to have a very clear and accurate reading on how fast my Kubota V1903 is spinning.

I haven't quick figured out where I'm going to be mounting the pedestal tach yet, but I was thinking on the top of the center of the dash pointing at me. The Right Hand Drive Wrangler really prevents me from buying A-pillar mounts, and even Autometer's TJ Wrangler Dash Top Mount, they point to the driver on a standard Left Hand Drive. So right now here is where I'm considering mounting the pedesal mount:

I've been testing fitting my gauges I currently have in the dash panel, the Boost gauge doesn't seem to want to fight, it's a hair to large, so I'm going to have to sand down the hole but heres how the cluster is looking:

The other gauges that are coming are a pyrometer, a Marine GPS Speedometer and an air intake temperature gauge.

As I get more parts and work done on my TJ I'll keep posting!

Thanks
Grant
oldsalty likes this.

post #3 of 18 Old 06-21-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
grantsjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well another month has passed and I'm still gathering parts, which seems to take forever. Also work has just obliterated any of my free time in the last month. However I have the first two weeks of July off so I will be doing the majority of the conversion on the Wrangler then!!!

First new parts!!! I got a flywheel, bolts, torque converter and GPS Speedometer gauge in for my Wrangler, all took longer to find and source than I was expecting:

I knew my Ken at KubotaSwappers was backed up but found out today most of my parts shipped!!! Not all of them, will still be waiting on some, but the parts I need to get the V1903 in the Wrangler and mated to my AW4 are coming!!! Here are some of the pictures I got from Ken!!!

Also I'm getting to the point where I think I'm going to run at least 3 separate Arduino system on the Wrangler. I'm going to run my AW4 with an Arduino, a separate Arduino for Cruise Control, and now I'm debating keeping my stock gauges and running them with Arduino. Not sure on the last one, I have another project all my gauges can go into so it won't be a lose just still not sure how I want to tackle the project yet!

I do have a GoPro Hero5 Session coming in from Amazon, so I was thinking about doing a time lapse of the entire project and posting it daily to youtube if anyone is interested!

Thank you so much!
Grant
oldsalty likes this.

post #4 of 18 Old 06-22-2018, 09:01 PM
oldsalty

Looks great Grant. Looking forward to the finished Jeep . Those parts from Ken look amazing. Incredibly well built. Love a well made part. The GPS speedometer is Nice! Definitely put the build on YouTube be interesting to watch. Looking like you've got a lot of work ahead. But working on our jeeps is not really work. Nothing like fixing up something others didn't think could be done. They just don't understand the the Jeeper life. Well cheers for now Grant will be looking in on your future posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-03-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
grantsjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalty View Post
Looks great Grant. Looking forward to the finished Jeep . Those parts from Ken look amazing. Incredibly well built. Love a well made part. The GPS speedometer is Nice! Definitely put the build on YouTube be interesting to watch. Looking like you've got a lot of work ahead. But working on our jeeps is not really work. Nothing like fixing up something others didn't think could be done. They just don't understand the the Jeeper life. Well cheers for now Grant will be looking in on your future posts.
Yup not sure I'm going with those gauges yet, I really like my stock gauges, but time will tell! I found a Kubota V2403 engine which I'm going to be using instead for this build! I got the engine to run yesterday! Checkout the video here!

Project Felicity - Kubota V2403 Engine Test

-GrantsJeep

post #6 of 18 Old 10-03-2018, 08:21 PM
G Beasley

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You're not far from me , I would love to check out the diesel swap sometime.

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
post #7 of 18 Old 10-04-2018, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
grantsjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
You're not far from me , I would love to check out the diesel swap sometime.
Yeah Eden only like 10 mights from me, I go through Eden all the time to visit family in Reidsville! Feel free to come by anytime to check out the progress, I just can guarantee how clean the shop will be

-Grantsjeep

post #8 of 18 Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome project. Nothing wrong with adding torque and mileage. But the “cool factor” is off the charts!

Jeff

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-09-2018, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
grantsjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Awesome project. Nothing wrong with adding torque and mileage. But the “cool factor” is off the charts!

Jeff
Thanks Jeff!!!

I really love my Wrangler, but I end up driving my 2006 Liberty CRD everywhere because of the 31mpg with an eco-tune I'm getting! Looking to replace my Liberty as my daily with this Wrangler!!!

So I've gotten two more youtube videos up! A quick video about all the parts I have so far and my next episode as well check them out!

Project Felicity - 01a - Quick Overview of Parts

Project Felicity - 02 - Cleaning the Wrangler and installing the adapter onto the Kubota V2403

Let me know what you think, my goal going forward is to work on this project once to twice a week and to get video's of my progress up the next day. I'll also be shifting to less talking and utilizing timelapse to make editing the video on my aging Mac easier.

Thanks
Grant

post #10 of 18 Old 11-09-2018, 08:47 AM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks awesome.
I will get to my computer and post you a picture of the guard I made for that cooler.
The one thing that I did not like about the cooler was the hardware for the frame bracket.
I replaced those 2 bolts with grade 8 with Nylocs.
I just didn't like how far the grade 5 bolts stretched while tightening.
Parker Push-Loc -AN fittings and hose with sleeve will make your plumbing bullet proof.
I also went with an external filter and thermostat that left me with the ability to have real time hot and cold temperature ports.
I also have a valve on the filter head for oil changes.
Your swap looks like it's well thought out and researched, looking forward to seeing it all come together.
Attached Thumbnails
20180708_164905_1541778408672.jpg   20180708_124621_1541778680040.jpg   20180708_164913_1541778698725.jpg  

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #11 of 18 Old 11-09-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
grantsjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Nice and thank you for the information about the cooler!!! I hadn't even opened the package up yet so I hadn't had a chance to look at the hardware but thank you for the tips!!!

post #12 of 18 Old 11-09-2018, 12:02 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsjeep View Post
Nice and thank you for the information about the cooler!!! I hadn't even opened the package up yet so I hadn't had a chance to look at the hardware but thank you for the tips!!!
If you want send me a PM and I'll give you my number.
It's a lot easier to just talk things over.
I have a lot to tell you.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #13 of 18 Old 11-14-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
grantsjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Hey TJers,

I got another video up! I'm still trying to learn this videography stuff as well as the video editing but I'm getting quicker and should have another episode up in another few days!

In this video I decided to go over all the gauges that I will be using in my TJ Wrangler for the this Kubota V2403 Diesel Swap. I had considered keeping the stock gauges but I go over why I decided to replace all the gauges! Originally I was planning on using the Autometer gauges that I had posted above but I kept running into issues of not being able to get the resolution of data that I wanted from the gauges which I go over in my video.

​Project Felicity - 02a - Overview of the Intellitronix Digital Gauges​​​

Thanks
Grant
07wurubi likes this.

post #14 of 18 Old 11-18-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
grantsjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Hey TJers,

I've officially started disassembling the TJ! Here's the next video I posted on Youtube today! I'm actually working on getting the engine, transmission and transfer case out of the Wrangler today and hope to have that video posted in the next few days!

Project Felicity - 03 - Disassembly Begins!

Thanks
Grant

post #15 of 18 Old 08-02-2019, 08:36 AM
chrisml
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have any pictures/video of the gauge cluster installed? I jumped through your videos quickly and I couldn't find it. It's very possible I just missed it. I'm really curious about the fitment of that autometer panel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in