Project Corveep - Page 32 - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #466 of 501 Old 09-25-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Added a link to this in the first post of this thread. It works great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Just found out about an add on through the chrome web store that allows you to see photobucket photos again. Just installed it and now i can see everything again. This is going to make web wheeling fun again haha.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...icjjgj/related

Andy, KD8EIA
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #467 of 501 Old 11-13-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Not much to update here since the last post, mainly because I bought a slide-in camper and have been working on getting it ready for wheeling season. It's a 1999 Skyline Weekender, and has everything inside I want and more. The first thing I did to it was install a pair of vent fans, one in the bathroom and one above the bed. The old ones were just vents, these make a huge difference. I'm contemplating removing the air conditioner and installing another fan in its place. That way I could have in / out airflow. Next up is a new roof, and maybe some solar panels. I installed some Timbren bump stops on the truck to help with the spring sag, which they accomplished. It's still sitting pretty low, and the springs are nearly flat, but they aren't negative. So I suppose that's a plus.

Anyway, on with the show! We went out to Cougar Buttes this weekend, a small offshoot from Johnson Valley. There aren't very many actual trails, just huge boulders all over the place that people crawl on. It's a really fun place.

Since the camper is only 8 ft and doesn't hang down past the bumper, I'm able to get away without a hitch extension. This was a big reason I liked this camper over others. As an added bonus, the trailer box is the perfect distance for a step to get out of the camper!

We stopped to wait on Kevin, he had to pee.

Made it to camp!

I brought Dakota out for the first time in a few years. Since she's getting old she hasn't been much of a Jeeping fan. Now that I have the camper, I decided to bring her and let her stay inside with the fans turned on. Other than when the fireworks went off, she did really well, thankfully.

Most of the Buttes look like this, just open space with large rocks everywhere

Found a good spot for a glamour shot!

Gonna have to chop the hood soon...

Found some weird rock formations

These are all over the place, some large enough to park a Jeep inside. They're carved out by the wind and sand

A few videos I took, @jbolty likes to make U-turns on top of obstacles

Kevin really wanted to push that rock with his axle

Didn't get much of me, as usual. Hopefully will grab some from the guys once they upload and I'll post some here.

Overall, the Jeep performed really well. My steering still sucks, I think I'm going to install some spacers that I have sitting in the garage. I did notice while parking the Jeep at home that the power steering reservoir was spitting a decent amount of fluid out the lid. I'll check the level once I get back over there, but I can't think of much that would make it do that.
Cooling is still worrisome, it got up to 230* / 240* pretty regularly all weekend. I'll probably start with the thermostat and go from there.
Saw one of the bumpstops in the rear has ripped. Not sure how, but I was never really a fan of them anyway. Just a bandaid till I get something better. I've been keeping my eye on Pirate for some Air bumps.

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
post #468 of 501 Old 01-10-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Not much to update, I flushed the cooling system with a Prestone flush / cleaner kit. Seems to have worked, can't get the temp above 195* while sitting in the yard. Drove it around town a bit and it only got up to 210*. Heading out to Superstition tomorrow so we'll see how it does! I also installed the spacers on the front axle and re-adjusted my steering stops, it seems that I can make a u-turn now!! Don't know if I'll still fit on the trailer or not lol. Might have to build some drive over fenders soon. Speaking of trailer, picked up some spare tire winches from the junkyard and put them on the trailer. Also got 6 new tires mounted and balanced. Old ones were realllly bad.

These are in nearly every SUV we saw in the junkyard. Not too sure why, but I wanted to make them removeable if need be. So I drilled a hole through some pipe and used the hitch pin to hold it on. Welded some rebar in to the other end so I could drill a smaller hole through the frame.

Used some galvanized carriage bolts, since this is almost exactly where I park the Jeep

Welded a 3/4" nut on the outside, same size as the lug nuts. Impact drives it up and down nice and easy!

Also spent some time getting the new roof together on the camper. The old rubber roof has turned to dust, literally. All of the black is what was under the white rubber. Paint won't stick to it, so covered it with some 4x8 sheets of FRP. Sealed seams and edges with 4" eternabond tape. Then covered it all with some elastomeric roof paint and Dicor lap sealant around all the bolts.

Here's how it looked when I bought it

You can really see how bad it is here... The white under the TV antenna is pristine. I think the sun just eroded it away and the black is what was underneath. The black dust stuck to everything, I ended up throwing these boots away after I finished.

Got rid of the A/C since we're always remote camping and I don't have a generator. Plus we never really go out when it's hot enough to warrant it.

Finished with the FRP

Cleaned and taped

Painted and sealed! We just had a bunch of rain yesterday and no signs of leaks. Might have to re-do the lap sealant, I put it on right before it rained so it may not cure correctly now.

You may have noticed the solar panel, well here's my charge controller and inverter. Each has it's own 30A circuit breaker, all the wiring is 6 AWG. The panel isn't connected in this picture, but is now. And working great.

Here's the display for the charge controller, this is with a tiny little 10W panel connected. The one on the roof now is 135W.

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:

post #469 of 501 Old 01-24-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
A little late with the uploads, but here they are! Went wheeling last weekend and had a good time. Jeep did well until I laid on the throttle while climbing like an idiot.

Success

Followed by failure

Aftermath

Those of you back east, it's a whole different experience out here...

More glamour shots haha

And of course shenanigans in camp

Overall a pretty good trip. I broke Saturday morning so sat in camp the rest of the day, and rode with a buddy on Sunday. Steering seems to be much better now, still not what I'd call "street safe." After the trip I found every single bolt on the steering box mount was loose. One broke the weld on the nut inside the frame, so I'm down to 4 now instead of 5. Will see what I can do about fixing that. Cooling seems to be fixed, stuck around 210 most of the time, occasionally got a little high around 220, but nothing too crazy. I'll likely flush the system one more time before the next trip out. Other than that, ordered a new yoke from Advance Adapters, and having a whole new driveshaft built with 1350s instead of 1310s.

New compared to old

Also noticed the front driveshaft is not only hitting the bellhousing, it's also rubbing the oil level sensor. I ordered a plug to replace the sensor, and am going to start thinking about lifting my motor mounts an inch or two.

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
post #470 of 501 Old 01-24-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Been slacking on updates, finals are over and summer is here! A few weeks ago I finally started getting my winch and mounting plate installed.
Where I left off:
Ah yes, the old 8274 install. Been staring at it for almost a year now. Figured it's time to get it installed.

I decided I'm going to mount it with a plate on the crossmember instead of tying it into the tube. I only wanted to tie it into the tube to make it all one big piece if I ever end up pulling the motor again. Figured I'd start with cleaning up the bars.

Decided the mounting plate was much too wide. trimmed off about 3" per side

Used a small piece of wood and a magnet to get the new angled braces squared up

Prepped the bumper / crossmember

Grabbed a piece of 3/16ths, measured it out, and started making cuts

Drilled 5 holes in the back / sides to bolt it to the plate / crossmember. The crossmember got welded in the front but not in the back since I didn't want to pull the whole grille, so bolts it is.

Held it all in place with the 5 bolts, just in case anything moved while welding. Welds are slowly improving

A little bit of rattle can... ok maybe a lot

All locked in place! Used 1/2" holes and 7/16" bolts with nyloc nuts. Should hopefully keep it in place. Plenty of hardware left over to drill a few more holes

Tucked the cables behind the grille for now, will get it wired up later. Hopefully it still works after sitting out for a year!

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
post #471 of 501 Old 08-28-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Long time no update! Had a pretty warm summer here in San Diego, so didn't get much done on the CJ till recently. Was pretty focused on finding a job after graduation in the spring, so now I've finally got in some Jeep time!

Picking up right where I left off, I mentioned wanting to lift the motor mounts... Here's why:

Apparently the front driveshaft is contacting the bell housing and the HP60 yoke is contacting the oil pan when under sideways load, off camber on the passenger side:

First up was to buy a new bell housing, and paint it shiny sparkly blue:

Next I decided to install a 1" body lift to accommodate a motor / transmission mount lift. Body lift got done this past weekend:

I had to replace 2 of the frame body mounts as well as both rear cross member mounts. About 5 years ago, I snapped one of the body bolts so I finally got to replace that as well. All 11 are replaced now

Next step will be to install the bell housing, and fabricate some new motor mounts. Hopefully this will help get the driveshaft away from the bell housing. Priority one after this will be to get bump stops installed in the front.

Once this is done, I'd like to move my steering shaft so it is no longer contacting the driver side header under motor torque. That's somewhat of a back burner item.

Higher on the list is correcting the sideways axle shifting so my oil pan can survive a little longer. I'm looking into panhard bars on leaf spring vehicles, if anyone has any good threads, feel free to drop them here for me to read.

I'll also have the opportunity to either modify my current transmission skid or make a new one. I will look into clocking my Dana 300, if I can clock it any higher, I might try to fab a whole new skid. Otherwise I will just modify this one to get the drivetrain up against the tub again after the body lift.

Finally, I am still having fuel starvation issues. The sump in my fuel cell is in the very front, so it's no wonder. I want to either french a new tall / skinny fuel cell into the tub, or cut out the rear frame crossmember and try to utilize a stock style tank moved all the way back to the bumper. I've had these thoughts / plans before, but I'm really really tired of stalling on climbs now.

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
post #472 of 501 Old 08-28-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
I made the bad decision of going wheeling without fixing these problems, and made most of them worse. I couldn't even make it onto the trailer before finding a gushing leak in the Dana 300:

The smashed tube is from a BFH when the motor first got installed. Since then, the motor has moved backwards about an inch, which has pushed the transfercase pan into the skid plate. Note the shiny tube

A few more BFH swings and a ton of RTV and it was good enough for 1 more trip. I'll need to fix this for good before another trip out. Hence my earlier statement about wanting a new skid plate...

Moral of the story: Fix stuff after you break it instead of leaving it till the last second before your next trip.

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
post #473 of 501 Old 08-28-2018, 08:00 PM
Black Hills TJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to see you are still around, man. I've been on a bit of a hiatus, but am more or less on my way back into the game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenwr
My mouth still has funky taste in it, so I am doin alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out
!
post #474 of 501 Old 11-14-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills TJ View Post
Glad to see you are still around, man. I've been on a bit of a hiatus, but am more or less on my way back into the game!
It's been a long road! Still have your TJ?

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
post #475 of 501 Old 06-10-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Anyone still around here want any updates? I've replaced the bellhousing and clutch, replaced the motor oil pan gasket, broke the D300 for good and installed an Atlas, ARB in the rear, and last but not least I painted the whole damn thing sparkly metallic blue. Hopefully going to get a gas tank / fuel cell installed between the frame rails this summer.
Bong_Holyeo likes this.

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
post #476 of 501 Old 06-11-2019, 09:54 AM
dokonewski

Garage
Hell yeah, one of the few build threads I've read from start to finish.
post #477 of 501 Old 06-11-2019, 04:36 PM
lovett86

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd like some updates as well

its a rusty one

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
post #478 of 501 Old 06-13-2019, 02:46 PM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Lets see this sparkly metallic blue Jeep already.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

post #479 of 501 Old 06-14-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Alright then, you guys asked for it! Here we go!

As you can see a few posts back, my bell housing was cracked due to the driveshaft hitting it, and the oil pan gouged by the HP60 yoke. I'm using the Novak motor mounts, which have a ton of adjustment in them, however they keep the motor pretty low. So I got some 3" square tube and lifted the motor! I used a pretty good sized bolt, probably 1/2"-ish to hold it together and a small bead of weld to keep it from twisting. The plates on the sides are just to fill the gap from the frame brackets.

Got a plug for the oil level sensor, since the driveshaft also seemed to not like it.

Now that the motor got lifted, the Trans-Am location for the alternator wasn't going to work anymore, it was hitting the frame. Picked up a fancy relocator kit that moves it from low driver side to high passenger side from Goat built. I had to trim the corner of the motor cover, remove the elbow for the oil fill cap and put the cap directly on the valve cover, and had to trim the alternator's air duct. Stay tuned for more on this one later.

Next up was to raise the transmission mount to match the motor mount lift. I could only get about 1/2" - 3/4" out of it, even though I've got a 1" body lift now. I'm sure this is probably due to the motor being higher up front and the bell housing hitting the firewall. So I got it up as high as I could, chopped the old mount out and welded a new one back in a bit higher. I used some thicker steel this time, I think about 1/4" or more, where the old one was 3/16".

Not sure how / when this happened, but I found a missing cap on the passenger side axle u-joint. Ordered up some non-greaseable spicers and threw them in both sides. The second picture below looks like something was stuck in there, probably picked up a rock and it got wedged. Glad it didn't break a shaft!

Figured since I had the shafts out, I might as well fix the leaking seal at the diff. Glad I did, because I found some clutch teeth from the detroit in the bottom of the housing. Ordered a new clutch disc and got it all put back together. In the third image, the clutch disc on the left has zero teeth left on the inside.

Also ordered some Ruff Stuff 3/8" shackles since my old 3/16" ones were bent to hell. These are I think about 5" long, which gave me a 2" lift over stock shackles. Also installed new bushings in the leaf springs, have had these sitting around for years just never installed them. Glad I did, old ones were almost non-existent. Also threw some paint on the tie rod and diff cover since I had them off.

During that last trip out, I sheared 3 of 4 leaf spring center pins, so replaced them with some grade 8. Opened up the u-bolt plates a bit to fit them instead of rounding the hex off. This is the only one that survived.

Also got rid of the stupid 3/16" u-bolt plates I was using and replaced them with some normal 3/8" ones from Ruff Stuff. These are what caused the center pins to shear; they bent and eventually wouldn't hold the u-bolts tight anymore. Goodbye!

In the front I already had the passenger side mounted with square u-bolts since the crappy high clearance u-bolt plates wouldn't fit so close to the diff. I made some retainer plates and put square u-bolts on the driver side also to get the nuts out of the rocks, and gain a tiny bit more clearance.

Last but not least, I installed a (yes, only one) bumpstop to keep the driveshaft out of the oil pan any more. I spray painted the oil pan to check for any new hits after the motor lift, one wheeling trip is all it took for me to realize i need a bumpstop... You can see the aluminum stuck to the axle yoke in the second picture.

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
post #480 of 501 Old 06-14-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Went wheeling and overheated a few times due to my fan relay not kicking on. Finished the day by just wiring the fan directly to the battery. Sadly this was not a new problem, in the past the fuel pump relay would only work sometimes. Could never figure it out so decided to just gut it all and replace everything. Bought myself some fancy wire crimping tools and sat down over Christmas break to get it done.

Tried a few different options before I found one that will work.

Other than the oil dipstick, it worked great!

Chopped it down to 2 relay panels instead of 3 and burned it in.

Got everything back together just in time for wheeling in January!

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in