I think it looks great, keep up the good work

its a rusty one

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 07-01-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
KristPJ
1976 CJ7 

Some of you might think I regressed on my build seeing the following pictures. But in fact, it is a major step forward what I accomplished in the past month! Last time I posted, you could see the front end standing on its ''own''. Well since I was not confident enough for welding on the frame vertically, I removed the tub, placed it on a home made cart to move it around, then took the mechanics off as well. Having the frame undressed from all its components (makes me feel like I am starting over) I got the buffer, grinder, wire brush and welder set and started doing all the final welds on the frame, flipping it on its 4 sides so I could always weld flat.

I had to remove the transmission flat mount/cross member, I had a tension in the bushings on it, (the frame is straight, I know the mistake I did... using a cargo strap is not always good ... but probleme solved)

The final welding on it was done, but I realized afterwards that I had a wrong measurement. So I had to carefully cut the welds so I can reinstall it eventually soon with out the forcing in the bushings.

Since I was around the transmission mount. I added a few little gussets to add some contact to the frame on the side mounts for this crossmember.

I need to do a little buffing this week. I hate when things don't look as clean as I want on it.
I also placed and welded the gussets on the rear shock mounts. I did give it a try on vertical welds on one on them (you will not see it i buffed and started over and no pictures was taken not to show my talent)

The rear under frame on the driver side was in bad condition, so I took 1/8 plating and rebuild the bad part. it looks ok I might or might not add the leaf spring mount holes. I am not sure yet since I don't need them anymore. (just for the ''original'' look)

For what is left, here are a few more pictures of the welding. If weather allows it this week I will sand Blast the whole frame and give it a small zinc primer waiting for the reinforcement plating from M.O.R.E and the epoxy primer.

Enjoy and feel free to comment!

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-cj7-pj-edition-complete-rebuild-1628105
post #63 of 85 Old 07-24-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
KristPJ
1976 CJ7 

Last week I sandblasted my frame, It took a few bags of sand, but I got the job done. Having the rear cross member removed helped to air out the sand and junk that was hidden inside the frame. No holes or bad frame parts appeared in the process. It revealed the frame I found was really clean in the end. Once the cleaning was done I applied a good Zinc based can primer on it. This only to prevent any chances of rust to appear. I then cut out all the frame body mounts, only the holes where the metal was corroded. These will get rebuild during my summer holidays. I also did cardboard templates for the frame with all the factory holes. These will get cut out of 3/16 metal plate and get welded in place to solidify the frame. Price to order them here in Canada was expensive, I should manage to get them done for about 1/2 the price.

here are a few pictures !

[IMG=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/923/GA6gow.jpg][/IMG]

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-cj7-pj-edition-complete-rebuild-1628105

post #64 of 85 Old 09-23-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
KristPJ
1976 CJ7 

I haven't posted anything on here all summer, work kept me very busy, so the Jeep build was a little slow. It took for ever to receive my reinforcement plates for the frame. Once I got them they were not perfect either, made me a little disappointed. I am still waiting for the frame body mount replacements I sent to get cut at the same time as my other parts...

Anyway, the important is I got some of these and did a little progress. Here it goes, 1 image worth's a 1000 words, so enjoy!

Here are the Frame reinforcement plates in 6 pieces (3 on each side) most holes are aligned, but some of them are a little offset so some little trimming has to be done.

I started by aligning the front ones with the motor mount holes and with the big holes for the rear, then I tack welded them in place on all sides, top and bottom. Once this was done, some trimming got done on some of the holes and the full welding followed. Not to have the frame twist with the heat, I did passes of about 4 inches then would move to the opposite side and do 4 more inches, playing back and forth like this till all was done.

Then the ''fun'' part of buffing the welds started.(I still have some to do ... it is some how long and boring) If you look closely you will see I still have touch-ups to do and a few more welds on the sides... this will be done soon, I do not like welding vertically.

So this is what it should look like once all done. I need to reinstall the suspension (then take it off again) so I can place the rear sway bar in place. I will order some inner frame primer cans from Eastwood some times soon. I expect to need about 5 cans to cover all the inner frame. them I can will do the epoxy primer coat on the frame. All I am not sure about yet is the bumpstops. I do not know if I want the through the frame in cans, or mounted to the side... I still got a little time to figure this one out. Any suggestion on this matter would be appreciated!

post #65 of 85 Old 09-29-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
KristPJ
1976 CJ7 

This week, I went and finished the buffing job on the welds done last Saturday. Since the shop cutting my body mount replacements for the frame did not call back yet, I decided to go forward and set the axles and links back under the frame. Once everything was leveled and at ride height, I mounted the rear tracbar in place.

The tube is fully welded, but the side mounts are only tacked so I can do corrections if necessary.

This weekend, if I get my but parts missing, I will have a little more welding and buffing to do. I also want to ''close'' and raise the cut out area on the frame crossmember.(picture below) I did cut a hole so the links on the rear axle would not hit them at full compression. but the cut probably made it a little weak... raising and closing it should give it a little more strength.

I also found this week a guy willing to sell me his old 40x14.5 r 17 tires. They are almost finished but still a little good... since i am not at the point of driving it around yet, buying them new would be a dumb expense at the moment. These should be plenty good to to the final tests and adjustments on the coil overs. It will also get my rolling chassis around with out having that dragster look, big rear wheels and small front ones. I will need to order the two other wheel for the tires and to have similar ones at the 4 wheels. Hopefully get to sell m two 37's I have on the rear at the moment.

So things are starting to look good. I started looking at the different primers on paint products. Before Christmas, I want my frame done with the Eastwood inner frame coating, and a good primer epoxy for the axles and frame. When time comes, I will paint it with the Eastwood 2K frame paint to.(unless anyone here can provide me a better product)

post #66 of 85 Old 11-13-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
KristPJ
1976 CJ7 

It took a while for the machine shop to finally get my missing parts cut out. I had them do them over about 6 times... every time they would cut them out something would be wrong! During this waiting time I got to fix the cut out part on the rear center cross member, I had to raise it a little so the rear upper axle links would not hit the frame at full compression.

After about 3 months waiting for the last missing parts, I finally got them all and welded everything in place. Last time I had the frame reinforcements, a few frame body mount "plates" and now I got to install the 2 missing ones. All the frame body mount holes are now replaced with new, rust free and solide ones!

I also received my two other wheels for the 40'' tires. So I now have a rolling chassis ! It has been about 7 years since last time this Jeep sat on its own wheels!!

The tractor plow is a little in the way, tomorrow I will move it out the way. I will be placing the tub back on the frame. I need to order the bump stops and mounting cans, but this will go for after Christmas, for now I need to get all the primer and painting stuff needed for the frame and axles. I will be taking a pause on the build so I can gather all what is needed to Have a clean painted rolling chassis for next spring. Then I will need to start work on the body!

post #67 of 85 Old 11-14-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
KristPJ
1976 CJ7 

As mentioned yesterday, today I put back the tub on the rolling chassis! Being able to move the frame around on its wheels made the job really easy. With a chain block I pulled the tub up high enough to roll the frame under then I slowly lowered it back in place! Here are a few pictures!

Tomorrow I will bolt it back in place, then get the front grill on! I thought with the tub on the shocks would of compressed a little more. If it does not get back to the ride height on I want, I might need to change the spring rates, lowering them a little! I will see this once all on back on!

post #68 of 85 Old 12-02-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
KristPJ
1976 CJ7 

It's been a little over 1 year since I last worked on the CJ, was away most of that time... however, I did place a few orders for parts. I got my four bump stop mounting sleeves with two king 2.0 x 2 hydraulic bump stops (2 for now, two others will come later). I also got TMR clevis adjusters for my limiting straps, these will allow me to fin tune them.

Once these 8 last parts will be welded in place on the frame, and the four bump stop bumper plates on the axles all should be ready to receive the Eastwood inner frame zinc primer, the epoxy primer followed by the 2K ceramic Black Satin frame paint.I was hoping to finish all this before Christmas, but the first order had wrong parts. I got the 2.5 x 4 mounting sleeves... the 2.0 x 2 bump stops would hide completely in them.

So today I got back on the Jeep, lowered the suspension to its lowest point, realized it i want the most up travel I might have to trim my driver side motor mount a little, and I will need to bend the trac bar so the axle does not smash on it.
Once this was noticed, I tack welded both front bump stop mounting sleeves, after testing the proper height and angle were they should be located.

I got a few measurements on the rear. I need to get the sway bar arms bent to clear the bump stops and clevis adjusters for the limiting straps.
This week I will blueprint some bumper plats for front and rear axle. I want to have the limiting straps combined on them. I will post these up once they are made.

That is about it for my day today. This week will have more progress done.

post #69 of 85 Old 12-09-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
KristPJ
1976 CJ7 

Today I got one side done for the rear bump stops. Cutting in the frame always freaks me out, it is not like if you get many chances if you mistake... So once more, there was some cycling of the suspension to get the full compression, 2 and 3 measuring of the same readings before getting the cutting disc even near the frame.
With Axle at full compression, I took a bump stop sleeve with a bump stop bolted into it. got the proper angle and distance to get it in. Rear frame tubing is 3 1/2 inches wide, to keep proper clearance, and limit the bends on the sway bar arms, I chose to french the cans in the frame half way. So I made the first cut line, then traced the 1 1/8'' half circle to fit the sleeve in. I used a cutting disc then a buffer to smooth the area where it would be mounted.

Once the proper width was cut and the sleeve was tested on to top portion, I worked the bottom of the frame until all was even and got the good angle. For now all is spot welded in place. I don't like doing vertical welds, Now that all will be in place, before getting the frame in for paint, I will flip in on its side so finish these welds.

I have to admit, I find this looks very good, I can't wait to see it all cleaned up, painted and mounted up. I have a feeling it will look solid and good.

The other side will be done one evening this week. I really want to have all finished on the frame before Christmas, so when I get back in January all I have to do is clean up and Finally paint.

I made a few templates for the bump stop strike plates (if this is how they are called). The front are pretty straight forward, however, for the rear I am trying to integrate the limiting strap mount, bump stop strike plate and sway bar link mount all on the same axle mount. more to come on this.

post #70 of 85 Old 02-25-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
KristPJ
1976 CJ7 

I am being a little lazy on the forum, however, in the past few weeks, I have been working lots and not having much free time. I placed more orders, and once again, I’ve been having hard time receiving what I asked for. I did receive most of what I asked for. My Eastwood.products, ordered from Federal muffles, in Montreal, who had great customer service, contained the necessary for the frame and axles paint job. I got the rust converter for inside the frame, the inner frame zinc paint, the epoxy primer and the 2K ceramic Satin black paint…

I also placed an order in a machine shop in Quebec City for my bump stop striker towers and plates… but once again, this shop messed up my measurements. They were supposed to be 3” x 2 ¾’’ wide on the outside. The 2 ¾” was ok but the 3” ended up being 3 3/8”. It is not a big deal, but it is not what I was hoping.

I need to get the sway bar arms bent, but seeing how they work now, I will find some other shop that can do this job. ¾” While I was waiting for this order to be ready, I installed the limiting straps on my frame and axle. I will need to get four new ones, as the ones I received in the kit do not work; they are either to short or too long. I did install them temporarily.

I also put up the Genright front mounts on the CJ frame to be able to install YJ bumpers. It appears there are more choices of them for YJ’s, with these mounts on they will be bolt mods.

One more thing I got for my AMC 360 is the oil by pass mod, I need to tap the block to ad this oiling hose for the rear of the engine. They say it helps on preserving the engine if it goes in high RPM’s

To the lowest point at 4 wheels this is what the CJ would look like.

So now, I can say I am really in the last stretch on the frame work before tearing all apart again to prepare frame and axle for the paint. All what is left is to do final welds for the bump stop striker plates and finalize the welds on all the latest parts I tacked in place.(bump stop cans , limiting strap adjusters, bumper mounts). With this done I can now clean up the frame and axles, clean up the welds, buff them nice, and bring it in the paint room.

post #71 of 85 Old 05-18-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
KristPJ
1976 CJ7 

I’ve been away on a course for the past two months, once again this put me a little back on what I wanted to have done by now. I still managed to accomplish a few things before leaving on course, and on my return. I will be getting a few more pics in the following month, next stop the frame should be sand blasted again and the paint job on it should be done.
So last post I was telling about that Oil bypass mod, well here it is…

I did get kinda lucky while drilling the block. The small drill bit broke in the block, lucky for me, with a dremel I managed to grind just enough around it to be able to remove it and clean up the hole.

With this done, next job on the engine it getting it soaked and cleaned. I got the full gasket kit so rebuild it before the paint job. This will be done sometimes soon I hope. I am still thinking about the Comp Cam kit. We sometimes think big expenses are finally done while building, but then we always find something else to do or modify…

Meanwhile, I disassembled my spare Dana300 and T5, I had them washed in a parts hot washer so I can do the rebuild on them to. The T5 I did receive the kit for it. The Dana 300, I will be modifying this one so I might have to wait a little for it. I want the 4:1 kit and maybe the short output from Novak Conversions. I plan to have this case ready to fit a NV3550 tranny. My weak link is the T5, although I do have 2, I rather plan for a quick swap down the road than have to do the full conversion then.

Back on the axles now. Previously I got the bump stop striker mounts/plates cut, I had placed them on axles with the proper angle and in the right locations, then I spot welded them in place. Well, now I got the axles out starting with the rear and did the final welds, after having cycling the suspension to see if all was properly adjusted. You can see on the following picture, I kept some play between bump stops and coilovers. I figure with time the pad under the bumpstop will wear out and the coil over will be able to compress more. I rather lose a little articulation than destroy parts, if that sounds logic. Here are a few pictures on this progress.

The front axle was a little harder to set, I only need on striker plate and mount for the driver side. The passenger side I got to use the original surface where the leaf springs would sit on the Dana 60. When cycling the suspension, I also realized I would not have the same play on both sides. The passenger side interferes with the track bar, I need to get this one bent so it does not hit the housing on the front axle and to gain a few inches of travel. For the driver side, my 3 link upper link would hit on the motor mount. After doing a little trimming on it I gained some articulation to the point that the drag link would interfere with the pitman arm. So this is where I gaged myself for the striker plate and mount setup.

Back on the rear now, if you remember, I had to get my sway bar arm bent to clear the bump stop cans and limiting straps. After plenty of measurements, I found a shop with a high tech digital bender. This did a very clean job. Both arms are now identical. They clear just enough room so nothing binds or impacts. I might need to get new tubing for my links as they seem to be about 1 inch short, if I want the proper angle on my arms. I will be able to say for sure once the build is sitting at its real ride height. For now it always seems to stay about 1 ½ inch to high. This might be solved adjusting the coilovers, or by getting lighter weight springs.

With all this completed, what I also did last time I worked on the CJ, was take all the body-mounting bolts off. Next time on it, I want to strip the frame from the body and mechanics. This way I can do the few last welds on last parts that were added. Then I can clean up a few of these welds, sandblast both axles, and frame from the little can primer I temporarily put on it last year. Then get the frame in the paint shop to shoot the inner frame stuff and epoxy primer, before painting them with the 2K ceramic frame paint from Eastwood I got. Ideally, the engine, transmission, and T-case will be ready at the same moment so I can prime these to.

I guess next post will be showing some good progress. I am being optimist about it

Enjoy the reading and don’t be shy to share and comment my build.

post #72 of 85 Old 10-11-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
KristPJ
1976 CJ7 

What a crazy year I am having again... I have all the intentions in the world to accomplish more work and reach set goals I have for the CJ. However the job that allows me to have the funds for this is keeping me lots busy, I was away more often than I was asking for in the past few months. The few times I got to work, I actually got lots done. So this September. I tore down the whole jeep , again, but with a purpose to it. I finaly got the frame ready for paint, and did the shooting.

I disassembled every possible nut and bold from the frame and axles, did the last few welds on the frame then brought everything out and sandblasted the parts.

With axles and frame all nice and clean, down to the bare metal, I could start doing the inner frame. Like mentionned in my previous posts, I purchased Eastwood products. I started with Fast etch, then a rust encapsulator and finished with the special inner frame zinc based primer. Making sure everything dried properly between every coat.
This job was a little sloppy/messy, but did hell of a good job isolating and protecting the inside of the frame.

With all my pieces and parts of the axles and frame setup properly in the paint room, I then gave 2 good epoxy primer coats to all the parts.

I let the primer dry the proper time then got ready to shoot the frame 2K ceramic satin paint on the frame and axles. I got lucky in a bad luck... I only had 2 quarts of paint for everythin, so I did not have that much extra. As I was stiring the paint to dispers evenly the ceramic particles, the freaken can slipped and went airborn falling to the floor. Lucky for me, the can fell straight and only spiled about 1/10th of its content... it still made a mess but at least I did not loose it all. That would of made problems.

With everything painted and dry, reassebling the axles and suspension could start. In theory, I do not need to do take all apart again.

I then placed the mechanics back on, the fuel cell and skid plate. Then sat the tub on the frame. It now looks way better even though it isn't finished. It is now stored for a few months, upon my retune I will begin the work on my axle gears, brake and fuel lines. Custom drive shafts will need to be made. Then I can start doing the tub work and get this jeep clean and street ready.

post #73 of 85 Old 10-12-2018, 04:08 PM
TxTJ32

Wow, that's a ton of work. Brings back memories of the Jeeps we built in high school. Congrats on a great project.
post #74 of 85 Old 10-12-2018, 06:01 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTJ32 View Post
Wow, that's a ton of work. Brings back memories of the Jeeps we built in high school. Congrats on a great project.
I don't know about you, but the Jeep I built in High School was certainly not running on $3,000 worth of shocks! Or nearly this nice...

Great work KristPJ. I'm really enjoying your build.

Jeff

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #75 of 85 Old 01-21-2019, 01:55 PM
lovett86

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to some more posts. I just got back on mine from basically a year plus of no work

its a rusty one

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in