LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-05-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Tectron

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Not so free CJ7

Hello everyone,
Going to start off with a long story

I acquired a 80 cj7 some months ago, I live near Heber, AZ. on 160 acres, all lots are 40 acres and its 20 miles as the crow flies to the nearest town and 50 to drive it. I was out looking a septic install job and saw this cj sitting on 1 of the 40 acre lots here, it was on blocks, I got the lot number along with some paperwork out of the jeep, came to find out the lot owner who is an investor didn't want the jeep and told me to take it and that he had got the property on a foreclosure, I thanked him and took it. Next step was to get the jeep in my name, I got a number off a tire sale receipt in the jeep, number turned out to be good and the owner of the jeep said take it, took a while but finally got the jeep in my name and so the project begins.

I tried to fill out the jeep build area on the site but it only let me input 3 basic pieces of info so Ill list it here for those interested.

1980 CJ7, 304 v8 with Edelbrock AMC Performance kit (carb, intake and cam ) , HEI distributor conversion, t4 with dana 300, 33x12.5x15 BFG MT K03, on board mechanical air, family roll cage, Lockrite in rear, unknown in front yet, diffs are stock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-05-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Tectron

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Not so free continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectron View Post
Hello everyone,
Going to start off with a long story

I acquired a 80 cj7 some months ago, I live near Heber, AZ. on 160 acres, all lots are 40 acres and its 20 miles as the crow flies to the nearest town and 50 to drive it. I was out looking a septic install job and saw this cj sitting on 1 of the 40 acre lots here, it was on blocks, I got the lot number along with some paperwork out of the jeep, came to find out the lot owner who is an investor didn't want the jeep and told me to take it and that he had got the property on a foreclosure, I thanked him and took it. Next step was to get the jeep in my name, I got a number off a tire sale receipt in the jeep, number turned out to be good and the owner of the jeep said take it, took a while but finally got the jeep in my name and so the project begins.

I tried to fill out the jeep build area on the site but it only let me input 3 basic pieces of info so Ill list it here for those interested.

1980 CJ7, 304 v8 with Edelbrock AMC Performance kit (carb, intake and cam ) , Headers, HEI distributor conversion, t4 with dana 300, 33x12.5x15 BFG MT K03, on board mechanical air, family roll cage, Lockrite in rear, unknown in front yet, diffs are stock.
Some things I've done so far:

First thing I did was to try and find the engine, It was hidden underneath a 1foot plus pile of critter dung, so out came the scraper and pressure washer, I forget how many days it took me to clean it all up. Almost all the wires were chewed to bits so I got on that and made good progress considering Im color blind, I then did a fuel tank flush, had to replace fuel lines, electric fuel pump, filter and wiring to it. Cleaned up the distributor witch was stock and bought a cheap set of plug wires just to see if this thing would fire. Couldn't get it to go and with some research and investigation I decided it was the ignition system, so out came all the stock ignition and I stuck a HEI from summit in, I did do a compression check to see if it was in range and it was, bought the 100 dollar set of plug wires installed them and gave the engine a go, to my delight after a few cranks it fired up. Wiring continues as behind the das was a real mess from critters and the previous owners work.

as of now these are in progress:

Fuel gauge - factory not working, found out that's going to be a problem, might add aftermarket

Temp Gauge - factory one is linked to fuel gauge to get 5v so its bad too, it has an aftermarket one also not working, its a mechanical and the tube was chewed in half, new one in the mail.

Speedo cable was broke, now replaced.

New tires and rims - pro comp rims and 33x12.5x15 BFG MT K03, now installed

transmission mount shot, torque plate mount shot, torque plate bent. On wish list.

Front driveline - Shot, new one in the mail from Tom Woods.

Steering - all tie ends bad shape, Ordered Moog total replacement parts, in the mail now.

Roll cage - Family type, removed so tub can be fixed as it was cracking through the tub everywhere it was mounted.

Skid plate/crossmember - Skid plate will have to be straightened to allow for a straight torque plate, also need to weld a nut in frame at one of the skid plate mounting holes.

Reverse Lights - Has none, thinking the 2 inch LED flush mounts.

Brake/turn/run Lights - got 4 1/2 inch LED flush mount, Installed.

As of now the CJ is on jacks awaiting the Driveline, steering parts, transmission mount, torque plate and mount.

Pretty sure that's enough for now on my FREE CJ7

Almost forgot to mention that this Jeep had been sitting on that Lot for 8 years.
JasonCroasdale likes this.

Last edited by Tectron; 05-05-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-08-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Tectron

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Well got a bunch of parts in the mail yesterday and more coming today and anxious to get working on the CJ, but mother nature wants me to stay inside today, rain and Hail . Got the new steering parts in as well as the seals for the output shafts on everything. Driveline should be here today.

post #4 of 17 Old 05-09-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Tectron

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Well got a bunch of parts in the mail yesterday and more coming today and anxious to get working on the CJ, but mother nature wants me to stay inside today, rain and Hail . Got the new steering parts in as well as the seals for the output shafts on everything. Driveline should be here today.
Seems UPS doesn't like coming out to my place in the rain, it's only 22 miles of dirt road . Anyway no driveline, hopefully today.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-09-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Tectron

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Can Anyone identify this locker ? And is my pinion gear not in far enough looking at the wear marks.
Attached Thumbnails
20190509_112607.jpg  
post #6 of 17 Old 05-09-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Tectron

1980 CJ7 

Garage
I did manage to get the Drag link and ends installed today b4 the rain started, and looking at my last post you can see I took the diff cover off because it was leaking, that's how I found out this thing has a front locker on it, just don't know what kind, also got the pinion seal removed as it was leaking also.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-10-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Tectron

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Another day of rain, UGH!
post #8 of 17 Old 05-11-2019, 11:35 AM
ShowAndGoCJ

Most people would pay for a Jeep and then spend a ton of money. You're still miles ahead of the rest of us money wise.
Congrats on the find. Sounds like even though it will be a bunch of work, it came with a lot of good stuff. Took me forever to find one with a 304, most seem to be six cyl.

Not sure on the locker, but it looks very similar to a Lockright.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-12-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Tectron

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowAndGoCJ View Post
Most people would pay for a Jeep and then spend a ton of money. You're still miles ahead of the rest of us money wise.
Congrats on the find. Sounds like even though it will be a bunch of work, it came with a lot of good stuff. Took me forever to find one with a 304, most seem to be six cyl.

That seems to be what most think, But there is no Brand called Lockright, seems to be a type, Lockright is what powertrax calls there product but say that the one I have is not there's, they claim that all of theirs have the overlapping double diamond logo on them, I may never find out what its, if it breaks i'll get another one.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-13-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Tectron

1980 CJ7 

Garage
So back to the Jepp, I had torn the pinion seal and diff cover off to reseal it all, I had noticed that the pinion nut on the d-30 was not very tight, after re-sealing everything I went to tighten the pinion nut to spec and as I got closer and b4 200 lbs the pinion won't spin anymore, out of 4 wheel and hubs unlocked, I'm really not sure how to proceed at this point, can anyone help on this matter ?
post #11 of 17 Old 05-15-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Tectron

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
So back to the Jepp, I had torn the pinion seal and diff cover off to reseal it all, I had noticed that the pinion nut on the d-30 was not very tight, after re-sealing everything I went to tighten the pinion nut to spec and as I got closer and b4 200 lbs the pinion won't spin anymore, out of 4 wheel and hubs unlocked, I'm really not sure how to proceed at this point, can anyone help on this matter ?
So I'm kinda overwhelmed at the response on all this I'm going to chalk it up as me being a newbee.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-15-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Tectron

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowAndGoCJ View Post

Want to thank you on your response.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-15-2019, 09:47 PM
Eazyrider805

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Welcome to the jeep life. What are your plans with the jeep? Lift? Tires? 4wheelin? Street machine? Sounds like you got a good project to start with. I would get some expert advice on the pinion. The pattern on the ring gear doesn't look right to me. Gears are not something you want to tackle on your own. Also take into consideration what the gear ratio is and if in the future you want to get a lift and bigger tires. You may want to just get new gears installed to accommodate tires now. The locker is some sort of lunch box locker spartan? Aussie? Not sure maybe the numbers on the locker will give you some idea of which manufacturer. Pinion nut should be torqued down not loose. Sounds like someone got into the axle maybe for a rebuild and never finished. Your lucky being in Arizona tons of good places to get parts and get work done. You might even be able to find an axle in a junk yard for cheaper than rebuilding with the correct gearing you need. Post some pictures of your rig.

1996 jeep XJ (sold)
2006 jeep LJ (sold)
1987 jeep yj (project)
post #14 of 17 Old 05-17-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Tectron

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyrider805 View Post
Welcome to the jeep life. What are your plans with the jeep? Lift? Tires? 4wheelin? Street machine? Sounds like you got a good project to start with. I would get some expert advice on the pinion. The pattern on the ring gear doesn't look right to me. Gears are not something you want to tackle on your own. Also take into consideration what the gear ratio is and if in the future you want to get a lift and bigger tires. You may want to just get new gears installed to accommodate tires now. The locker is some sort of lunch box locker spartan? Aussie? Not sure maybe the numbers on the locker will give you some idea of which manufacturer. Pinion nut should be torqued down not loose. Sounds like someone got into the axle maybe for a rebuild and never finished. Your lucky being in Arizona tons of good places to get parts and get work done. You might even be able to find an axle in a junk yard for cheaper than rebuilding with the correct gearing you need. Post some pictures of your rig.
I'm on a 4" lift and 33x12.5x15 rubber. Here is a current pic: Also the gears were replaced to 4-56, I think that's why things are wrong, just wasn't done right.
Attached Thumbnails
20190502_070948.jpg  
b1bjetmech likes this.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-18-2019, 11:33 PM
Eazyrider805

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Looks really solid. Wonder what the original color was. Some of these jeeps had some cool colors. Mine was originally cinnamon metallic. Kind of a funky color. Man I really like the way the BFG Muds look on CJ7s besides the KO2s no better looking tires. Looks good with the bumper too. I would say 4.56 gears is going to be crap on the highway. Unless you are planning on making it a trail rig then that is perfect you will have tons of low end on the trail. I drive my CJ7 to my offroad destination and around town. On the freeway its pretty high RPMs at 65 with 3.73 and 32” tires. I would say keep the gears and take it to someone reputable to get the pattern done right. Thats the cheapest route. Or if you plan to drive it around town and on the freeway maybe go with 4.11 gears best performance and mpg. As far as the locker goes I tried to do some research with the numbers and couldnt come up with anything. Keep us posted on your progress and any questions you might have.

1996 jeep XJ (sold)
2006 jeep LJ (sold)
1987 jeep yj (project)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in