Nashville TJ's Coilover Build - Page 216 - JeepForum.com
 1916Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3226 of 3238 Old 10-20-2021, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Also broke out the label maker and updated my PDC lid to reflect the wiring changes I made for the new fan.

jeep-spal-fan-10-13-2021.jpg

wildman4x4nut and 07wurubi like this.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3227 of 3238 Old 10-21-2021, 09:59 PM
Big4x4ride

New member here (definitely not new to Jeeps), this thread alone made me pay my $29.95 premium membership. One of the best build threads I've ever seen, and I'm only on page 20 LoL.
daddyjeep87 likes this.
post #3228 of 3238 Old 10-22-2021, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big4x4ride View Post
New member here (definitely not new to Jeeps), this thread alone made me pay my $29.95 premium membership. One of the best build threads I've ever seen, and I'm only on page 20 LoL.

Thanks - thatís quite a complement. Welcome to the forum.
TJosh02 likes this.

Build Thread:

post #3229 of 3238 Old 10-30-2021, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

About 2 minutes after I completed wiring up the new fan and buttoning up all the panels a couple of weeks ago, I realized that I had forgotten to wire in the override for the A/C. Wonderful. So once again, I tore into my old friend the PDC...

jeep-spal-fan-10-13-2021-32-.jpg

In the old setup, engaging the A/C triggered a relay in the PDC sending a ground to the fan relay (also in the PDC), which in turn triggered the fan. Since there is no fan relay in the new setup, I modified the A/C trigger relay to pass a 12V current directly to the fan controller. I added a 3amp fuse to the PDC to provide the power for the relay.

There is a single circuit on the Spal fan controller which overrides the temperature switch and engages the fan at full turbo-jet speed when you pass it 12 volts. Since I had already wired this circuit to the fan override switch on the dash, adding the A/C trigger relay to this circuit means that there are two 12v sources feeding the override circuit on the controller.

It worked perfectly. Turn the A/C on, and the fan spins up to full. Hit the override switch, and the fan spins up to full. And no problem at all if they are both engaged at the same time....

Build Thread:

post #3230 of 3238 Old 10-30-2021, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

When I was testing the new configuration, I saw a minor issue - and you know how much those minor issues bother me...

There is an indicator light on the fan override switch which illuminates when you engage the switch. It's a quick visual reference when you have the fan override turned on. Here it is:

jeep-spal-fan-10-13-2021-35-.jpg

Notice in this picture that the switch is in the off position - but the A/C is on and that is triggering the indicator light.

Yeah, a little thing but it bothered me. I want that light to tell me that the switch is engaged - but it was telling me when the fan was being overridden.

The way this switch works is that the light is located on the cold side of the switch. When you turn it on, and send current to the cold side of the switch and on to its destination, the light illuminates.

Since I connected the A/C override relay to this same circuit, when that relay triggered 12 volts also comes back down to this switch and lights the light.

To rectify the light issue (pun intended), I added a rectifier diode the circuit. A rectifier diode allows electricity to only flow in one direction. I had a box of these things in my electrical stuff. The trigger circuit I added was 3amps, and I had a 3amp / 400 volt rectifier diode in the kit.

jeep-spal-fan-10-13-2021-40-.jpg

Then it was just a matter of pulling the dash apart (yet again), and adding in the rectifier to the outbound side of the override switch.

jeep-spal-fan-10-13-2021-47-.jpg

And then covering it with heat shrink. The rectifier prevents the current from flowing back to the switch (and the light) when 12 volts hits the circuit from the A/C trigger relay.

jeep-spal-fan-10-13-2021-48-.jpg

Now as I understand it, one consequence of using a rectifier diode is that they generate heat - especially as they approach the rated capacity. This circuit is drawing way less than 1 amp, so I don't think heat is going to be an issue.

But, if you are ever wheelin' with me and suddenly the rig bursts into flames - you will know why...

Anyway, it worked. Now the light comes on only when I hit the switch. Once again I can sleep at night (yeah, I've got problems...).

Build Thread:

post #3231 of 3238 Old 11-02-2021, 12:10 PM
caulk04
2008 WK 

All in the details, Jeff. It really makes a difference.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #3232 of 3238 Old 11-05-2021, 08:40 PM
xjloverforlife8

Wow you've been putting your work in here!
post #3233 of 3238 Old 11-10-2021, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Those of you who have followed my build over the years will recall occasionally seeing me pull out my big Laguna Band Saw. Another of my hobbies is wood working (I occasionally build fine furniture - I'm also a hack at that hobby) and for woodworking this band saw is about the best. 18", 4.5 Horse Power Baldor motor running on 220, and a 155" blade. I've resawn 16" oak on this thing. It weighs over 500 pounds - it's a beast.

img_9764.jpg

But, it's a single speed at 3500 feet per minute, and because of that it cannot be used for ferrous metals like steel (although I have used it to cut aluminum). There have been countless times I've wished I could use it to make a cut in steel.

Over the years I've considered many ways to make it a variable speed saw, including gearing or running a variable frequency drive, but none would have been practical on this saw. So, I decided to sell it and replace it with a vertical band saw which could also cut steel.

It's a pretty expensive and specialized piece of machinery, so I figured it would take a while to find a buyer. It sold in 2 hours on Facebook Marketplace. I bought it new in 2006 - and I sold it for more than I paid for it. I can't believe how fast it sold. I'm also sad to see it go.

Meanwhile, after a bunch of research I've ordered a new Jet VBS-18MWEVS 18" Metal / Woodworking saw which should be very close to the Laguna in wood, and very good with metal. It will run from 100 fps up to 3600 fps. It's also a beast. As with everything else right now, there is a bit of a delay - but it should be here in early January.

jet-band-saw.jpg

Build Thread:

post #3234 of 3238 Old 11-13-2021, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

My newest addition to the big KTM.

img_9806.jpg

We shall see who gets the reference....
87TPIYJ likes this.

Build Thread:

post #3235 of 3238 Old Today, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

If you have followed me for a while you know that I have a Grandson named Luke (I call him LJ - but no one else does...). I believe reading is very important for a developing mind, so I picked up a book for LJ for Christmas.

It is a heartwarming story about a snow plow and a tow truck who save Christmas.

bdlc8548.jpg
07wurubi likes this.

Build Thread:

post #3236 of 3238 Old Today, 09:33 AM
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
If you have followed me for a while you know that I have a Grandson named Luke (I call him LJ - but no one else does...). I believe reading is very important for a developing mind, so I picked up a book for LJ for Christmas.

It is a heartwarming story about a snow plow and a tow truck who save Christmas.

Attachment 4021099
post #3237 of 3238 Old Today, 09:54 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Now thatís funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #3238 of 3238 Old Today, 01:40 PM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Now that's funny.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in