Nashville TJ's Coilover Build - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
 506Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 2256 Old 10-21-2016, 08:32 AM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Just do the canister delete like everyone else with a stretch and the parts you still need can fit in the stock location.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
Bought/Wheeled/Sold: 85 CJ, 79 FSJ, 05 LJ, 06 WK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 2256 Old 10-21-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Just do the canister delete like everyone else with a stretch and the parts you still need can fit in the stock location.

My plan with the rig has always been to keep all the emissions equipment in place, but if I can't make my current plan work that would be the fallback. Although far from a daily driver I still like it to be comfortable on the street - which at least until now it has been. I've heard from several folks who have removed the canister, and now complain of gas fumes.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #303 of 2256 Old 10-21-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Spent a little time last night positioning the coil bracket and marking the frame for the cut. It's definitely a lot easier the second time...

First thing tomorrow I'll cut into it, and some time tomorrow I should have it sitting on it own weight on all four coilovers.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 953.jpg   Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 954.jpg  

Build Thread:

post #304 of 2256 Old 10-22-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Started out this morning cutting the frame. It took 4 hours to complete the cut, but it was very straight....
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 965.jpg  

Build Thread:

post #305 of 2256 Old 10-22-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Just kidding. I just used the air saw for the corners. As usual, the grinder made short work of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 968.jpg   Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 967.jpg  
TJYankee likes this.

Build Thread:

post #306 of 2256 Old 10-22-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I've been using .045" wheels, and they go pretty fast. I wish I had kept track of the number of cutting wheels and flap disks I've gone through so far. I should have bought stock in SAIT.

I keep a good stock of them - but I blow through the 24 grit flap wheels and the cutting discs. I've been back to Volunteer Welding Supply several time to replenish my stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 966.jpg  

Build Thread:

post #307 of 2256 Old 10-22-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Anyway, back to the project. I cleaned up the edges of the cut with yet another flap disc, painted the inside of the frame and the back of the coilover mount with weld-through primer, and tacked it in place. Then a quick flex test to check for clearance of the spring, and all looked fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 969.jpg   Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 970.jpg   Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 972.jpg   Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 973.jpg   Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 974.jpg  

Build Thread:

post #308 of 2256 Old 10-22-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I installed the passenger side tire and double checked my clearance with the coilover at full stuff / full droop and everything looks good. It certainly went a lot faster than the driver side.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 981.jpg  

Build Thread:

post #309 of 2256 Old 10-22-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Then I installed the springs on both sides, and you know what's coming next.....
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 993.jpg  

Build Thread:

post #310 of 2256 Old 10-22-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

After a quick adjustment on the preload, here it is sitting on all fours. First time without jack-stands in a while - and sitting at my planned ride height.

I had to put 4" of preload to get to the right ride height. I'm a bit concerned that the spring combination may be just a bit soft, but I'll deal with that later if need be. I'm running 200's over 250's.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 987.jpg  

Build Thread:

post #311 of 2256 Old 10-22-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Finally today I started mocking up the bump stops for the rear. When I'm comfortable with the location I'll cut some gussets and burn it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep - Coilover Suspension - Two - 7-5-2016 995.jpg  

Build Thread:

post #312 of 2256 Old 10-22-2016, 10:13 PM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The stance looks great, as does the work on the frame. Those bump stops sure seem to be far outboard.

OlllllllO

IndyORV
post #313 of 2256 Old 10-22-2016, 11:19 PM
pcoplin
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
After a quick adjustment on the preload, here it is sitting on all fours. First time without jack-stands in a while - and sitting at my planned ride height.

I had to put 4" of preload to get to the right ride height. I'm a bit concerned that the spring combination may be just a bit soft, but I'll deal with that later if need be. I'm running 200's over 250's.
Looks great.

Your springs aren't likely too soft (maybe too stiff actually), but they appear to be short. Are they both 14 inch springs?

edit: For comparo, I'm running 150/150 in the rear (14/16 inch springs), 2.5 inches of preload.

FullStack MotorSports
post #314 of 2256 Old 10-23-2016, 09:02 AM
hulud44

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice clean work man. Whats the wheel base?

post #315 of 2256 Old 10-23-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
The stance looks great, as does the work on the frame. Those bump stops sure seem to be far outboard.

Perhaps it does not look like it in the picture, but the bumpstops are flush against the frame. I'm trying to avoid frenching them into the frame if I can get away with it.

My thought is that the farther out on the axle the bumpstops are - assuming they clear everything - the less difference between full stuff / full droop and full stuff / full stuff. If the driver side bumpstop is mounted more inboard, and set to stop the top of the driver side tire just at the fender when the passenger side is at full droop, when the passenger side is brought up to full stuff the driver side will drop farther away from the fender. The farther outboard the bumpstop is mounted the less difference between the two. My logic may be flawed - someone please correct me if I am missing something.

The way it is currently mocked up, I've set it such that at full stuff / full stuff, the upper control arm mounts on the axle just clear the tub, and the tires have a couple inches of clearance to the fender. But at full stuff / full droop, I get about an inch of clearance - which was deliberate because I'm giving some thought to going to 42's.

I'm planning to spend some time flexing it today to check everything.

Build Thread:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in