Nashville TJ's Coilover Build - Page 204 - JeepForum.com
 1715Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3046 of 3105 Old 05-06-2021, 08:37 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for sharing Jeff. Too bad we missed you by a couple/3 weeks. Leaving in a week and a half! Good to see some up to date video's!
I was surprised to see the waterfall on Gold bar has changed a bit. Might get up it this time... usually pull line.
Still chicken to try Hells gate and Escalator... pulled the top for this trip... might grow a pair... we'll see.
Pritchett is off the list... I'm not that hard core.
MM is a fun trail. Widowmaker is insane crazy. Drove the YJ up it as far as I could just to get the feel, then backed down. Lol.
Except I almost got divorced on MM. Took the wifey and my sister on that one a few years ago. I pretended to lose the trial and drove up to the edge of the cliff as a joke (but pointing up the hill so as to be safe) since they had never seen it. My wife DOES NOT LIKE HEIGHTS! She freaked out and tried to get out of the Jeep... ON THE CLIFF SIDE!~ Oh $h!t, I had to grab her arm and keep her in. So much for jokes... wont do that again.
The year before last, my buddy talked me in to doing Moab Rim on our last day... which was raining. We waited until it stopped, and still a bit wet, and we got up ok, but it totally scared the freak out of me coming down the off camber sections. Ironically, a Yota truck had just rolled in the same spot 5 minutes earlier and luckily came to a stop just 10 feet from the edge! No injuries, but me thinks I had one of the worst anxiety attacks ever getting off that thing!
Good times.

NashvilleTJ likes this.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3047 of 3105 Old 05-06-2021, 01:15 PM
Tommy R

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Man, I can absolutely relate to your thankless efforts with that JKU. In my case we were wheelin' with our club and some doofus in a YJ decided to skinny-pedal up a loose hill. His c-clipped Dana 35 was not long for this world. It was the first trail of the day and my friend and I literally spent the entire day wrenching on his rig while he did nothing and my gf entertained his little daughter. We even missed dinner back at camp. He offered us nothing and literally didn't even thank us. And did I mention it was in the middle of the summer and we'd run out of water and had no shade? Yeah, it was one for the books.

Glad you still had a great trip!

Tommy
wildman4x4nut and NashvilleTJ like this.

2001 Wrangler stretched 99" WB, ARBs, alloys, ORIs, 4.88s, 37" Nittos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3048 of 3105 Old 05-06-2021, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Nashville TJ's Coilover Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
That looks like it was a fun trip, I bet some of those iconic trails get your heart pumping...thanks for sharing the videos.

What is your wheelbase? It seems like with a little more you would have made it up that widow maker obstacle.

Itís 115Ē. Iíd have needed another foot. The big problem is that there is a crazy undercut on the driverís side at the bottom. You have to throttle in to carry enough momentum to get the rear tire over that, but then you are very likely to go over backwards as you bounce off the face. You can see how light then front end gets. Iíve gotten up once before, but that was strapped to another rig to keep the front end down.
wildman4x4nut and CJWoodman like this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #3049 of 3105 Old 05-06-2021, 09:41 PM
gerryandkaren

Garage
Looks like all the work paid off ! Thanks for posting the videos they're a inspiration/motivation to get there.
NashvilleTJ likes this.
post #3050 of 3105 Old 05-10-2021, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

After the failure of those three shackles on the trailer on the way back from Moab, I thought it best to replace all of them with a heavier version.

First up, pulled off the sissy shackles:

img_0001.jpg

The original shackles were made from 3/16" x 1.25" steel. To make the replacements I used 1/4" x 1.5" steel.

img_0002.jpg

After cutting eight sections to length on the dry cut saw, I drilled 16 pilot holes, and then 16 9/16" holes on the drill press.

img_0004.jpg

Then a little round over work with the flap disk. I deliberately left more meat around each of the holes as that is where the other shackles failed.

img_0005.jpg

A quick paint job...

img_0006.jpg

And reinstalled.

img_0008.jpg

Overall, between the axle failure and the two flats, I'm not happy with how the trailer did on this trip. It's a custom 10,000 pound Kaufman, and this was the fourth time I've made the trip to Moab with no previous problems. Between the rig and the trailer tool box with about half a ton of of spare parts, CO2 tanks, fluids, straps, and the like, I think I may be pushing these 5200 pound axles a bit too close to the capacity limit. I'm giving some thought to going with a larger, 8 lug axle which would also allow me to run higher load rated tires. Or, I could just trade up to a 14,000 pound trailer. Just thinking at this point...
07wurubi and Axhammer like this.

Build Thread:

post #3051 of 3105 Old 05-11-2021, 07:59 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I have towed a lot since I bought my car trailer in 2000, at least 20 events a year, most drag strips are at least a couple hours drive one way. I donít recall ever changing a trailer tire for wear, they like to fail long before they wear out, at least thatís been my experience.

Were those tires that delaminated Goodyear Marathons? I believe they had a bad reputation several years ago. I lost a Goodyear Wrangler tire on my new CJ-7 back in 1986. It blew out the sidewall, when the Jeep probably has less than 10K on it. I went to the local Goodyear dealer, and they told me sidewalls werenít covered under warranty. I have never bought a Goodyear tire since.

When I was stationed in Savannah I used to go through trailer tires much more frequently than since I moved to NC. I lost one on the first day I was in GA, driving cross country, when I was going around Atlanta one blew. I believe the heat in GA was the reason for going through so many trailer tires there.

Why do I own a CJ? I like to ďBalance the wrench and the steering wheelĒ
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35ís on 2Ē Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #3052 of 3105 Old 05-11-2021, 08:52 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I may be interested in your trailer if you sell. Whatís the specs? Iím running 3500lb axles and I know Iím maxing them out. I have been buying the cheapo D rated powerking tires. I do keep two spares just in case. I just had one separate (didnít let go) on my way back from Daytona. My trailer hates me lol.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #3053 of 3105 Old 05-11-2021, 12:48 PM
jmart2119
Send It!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nashville TJ's Coilover Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
On Tuesday we were planning to do Moab Rim, but it was raining. You do not want to do Moab Rim when it is wet - you could easily slide off the cliff into the Colorado River many hundreds of feet down. Instead, my brother and I spent the day going through Arches National Park, and Dead Horse Point National Park. Still a good day.

On Wednesday - it was Pritchett Canyon. I've done Pritchett before, but nobody else in the group had done so, so I was the trail leader. I was looking forward to Pritchett - it is the main reason I went to Moab this year. It was great - for a while.

It's a beautiful canyon, but it's rated a 9 for a reason. Even the trail between the obstacles is tough. Here is a ledge that does not even have a name (that I know of), but was a challenge with a real chance of an off camber roll over to the right.

Chewy is no joke. We watched a group of Bronco's - and this happened to their trail leader:

We watched a bunch of crazy-built Bronco's have to winch up Chewy. The pics and vids don't do it justice - it's steep, slick, and off camber. In other words, crazy fun.
Been MIA on the forum lately, catching up. Good ole Pritchett is what forced my tub swap lol.

Bummer you didnít get to finish it up. We started at 9am and didnít get back to town until midnight.

Still need to get back out there and run it again.
wildman4x4nut likes this.

2018 YJ of the Year
YJOTM | Aug'15 | Dec'16 | Jan'18

1989 YJ - 98 5.7L Vortec, 4L60E, NP241, D30+8.8, 5.13's, 35" ProComp MT2's
post #3054 of 3105 Old 05-11-2021, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
I have towed a lot since I bought my car trailer in 2000, at least 20 events a year, most drag strips are at least a couple hours drive one way. I donít recall ever changing a trailer tire for wear, they like to fail long before they wear out, at least thatís been my experience.

Were those tires that delaminated Goodyear Marathons? I believe they had a bad reputation several years ago. I lost a Goodyear Wrangler tire on my new CJ-7 back in 1986. It blew out the sidewall, when the Jeep probably has less than 10K on it. I went to the local Goodyear dealer, and they told me sidewalls werenít covered under warranty. I have never bought a Goodyear tire since.

When I was stationed in Savannah I used to go through trailer tires much more frequently than since I moved to NC. I lost one on the first day I was in GA, driving cross country, when I was going around Atlanta one blew. I believe the heat in GA was the reason for going through so many trailer tires there.

Yup, Marathons. I got them through Discount Tire, and they replaced both of them for me. Did not know that about the delam issue. Iíve always heard and read good things. Iím pretty sure my issue is carrying weight too close to the capacity - and doing a consistent 85. But that said, I was running the 8 ply version and the capacity of the tires well exceeded the 10k of the trailer.

Build Thread:

post #3055 of 3105 Old 05-11-2021, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
I may be interested in your trailer if you sell. Whatís the specs? Iím running 3500lb axles and I know Iím maxing them out. I have been buying the cheapo D rated powerking tires. I do keep two spares just in case. I just had one separate (didnít let go) on my way back from Daytona. My trailer hates me lol.

Iíll keep that in mind John. 10k trailer, 5200 pound axles. Extra wide with drive over fenders and custom ramps built by me - which is why Iím hesitant to consider parting with it. I like the layout a lot, and if I can resolve the axle / tires issues, I may go that route.

Build Thread:

post #3056 of 3105 Old 05-11-2021, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart2119 View Post
Been MIA on the forum lately, catching up. Good ole Pritchett is what forced my tub swap lol.

Bummer you didnít get to finish it up. We started at 9am and didnít get back to town until midnight.

Still need to get back out there and run it again.

The worst part was that I have done Pritchett before, so I knew exactly what I was missing.
wildman4x4nut and jmart2119 like this.

Build Thread:

post #3057 of 3105 Old 05-23-2021, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Even though I replaced the shackles on the trailer, when I pulled it all apart I discovered that most of the bushings were shot - all worn though on one side. So, I went ahead and ordered a Dexter heavy duty suspension kit. Much beefier 3/8" shackles, and bronze bushings. All the bolts are greaseable as well. I'm doing a short wheelin' trip down to AOP with Chris and John next weekend, so I'll get this done this week.

img_7458.jpg

Build Thread:

post #3058 of 3105 Old 05-23-2021, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

One significant issue with the 115 volt AC feed from my on-board welder is that because of the nature of the AC generated, you can't use any power tools which have a variable speed trigger. If you do so, the trigger burns out almost immediately - with lots of cool smoke. The reason is that the unit creates voltage which alternates at 7,000 hertz - compared to 60 hertz from regular US AC lines. This is also the reason the welder works to well.

I was reminded of this during my recent trailer repair coming back from Moab. I didn't mention it, but the trigger on the drill we used burned out almost immediately when we tried to use it. After which, it would go wide open as soon as you plugged it in. We got it to work by my holding the drill, and my brother plugging and unplugging the thing to drill the holes on those shackles.

I like to carry corded tools on the rig and not have to worry about batteries, so I went looking for a new drill. But I could not find a decent single speed corded 1/2" drill (why would you need one of those?). So, picked up a Dewalt 1/2" variable speed corded drill, and figured I would rewire it for single speed. Here it is:

vshu6179.jpg

So I tore it apart and carefully opened up the trigger mechanism - these things really are not made to be serviced, so that took some doing. Turns out that the way it operates worked to my advantage. There is a chip in there that engages first and creates the reduced current flow for the variable speed control. This is the part which gets fried when you plug it into the Power Welder. But then when the trigger is fully engaged, it makes a pure mechanical connection between the inbound AC line and the motor.

img_7434.jpg

So after the challenge of getting the switch apart, the mod turned out to be easy. All I had to do was cut all the connections to the chipset, reassemble to trigger, and put it all back together.

img_7431.jpg

And just like that, I had a single speed 1/2" corded drill - without any smoke...

Build Thread:

post #3059 of 3105 Old 05-23-2021, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

This week I went through the 30 or 40 hours of GoPro video I have from the Moab Trip. I'll post a few here:

Here is a full clip of going up The Escalator on Hell's Revenge.

Build Thread:

post #3060 of 3105 Old 05-23-2021, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Here is a nasty little optional Hill Climb that my brother Dave did on Hell's Revenge.

Build Thread:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in