Nashville TJ's Coilover Build - Page 152 - JeepForum.com
 648Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2266 of 2410 Old 03-16-2020, 10:52 AM
snobrder540

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
I've had a yellow top in my Subaru WRX for about 3 years that works great. I originally bought a red top probably just short of a year before I got the engine done. It was drained flat a few times as I did all the electrical work on the car. After parking it for the first winter that spring the red top just couldn't start the engine. That car sits most of the winter aside from the occasional spin around the block on a warm day. I'm sure the red top went bad because of running it flat a few times but the guy at advanced said the yellow top should handle a full drain better than the red top. I have a Bosch in my LJ but I drive that at least once a week and haven't had any issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2267 of 2410 Old 03-17-2020, 03:30 PM
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I picked up an AGM last year from Oreilly's when my Diehard took a dump.
post #2268 of 2410 Old 03-17-2020, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I have to admit to just a bit of trolling here. Ive posted many times over the years about my disappointment with the Optima batteries since Johnson Controls purchased them and moved production to Mehico. Ive always recommended the Odyssey - I run a couple in my truck - especially after running the Diehard Platinum AGM in the LJ for so many years.

So I took my own advice (and JJVWs) and ordered the Odyssey from Amazon. So I guess after all I did get the Red Top.

Should be here on Friday.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #2269 of 2410 Old 03-17-2020, 08:37 PM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Avoid the risk. YA done good. LOL

As hard as I tried, I could not make this work:

Had to "keep em separated":

Got them buried so deep, it would tick me off to pull a yellow top.

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

post #2270 of 2410 Old 03-18-2020, 08:52 AM
RKKRAWL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Thanks guys. I have to admit to just a bit of trolling here. Ive posted many times over the years about my disappointment with the Optima batteries since Johnson Controls purchased them and moved production to Mehico. Ive always recommended the Odyssey - I run a couple in my truck - especially after running the Diehard Platinum AGM in the LJ for so many years.

So I took my own advice (and JJVWs) and ordered the Odyssey from Amazon. So I guess after all I did get the Red Top.

Should be here on Friday.

Since you have the welder, adjust your charging voltage up to 14.3 or just below what the PCM will tolerate without giving you a "check gauges" warning. The AGM batteries like a little higher charging voltage to be happy, I verified this with Odyssey and went with their recommendations.
post #2271 of 2410 Old 03-19-2020, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKKRAWL View Post
Since you have the welder, adjust your charging voltage up to 14.3 or just below what the PCM will tolerate without giving you a "check gauges" warning. The AGM batteries like a little higher charging voltage to be happy, I verified this with Odyssey and went with their recommendations.
Not sure what you mean here, RK. How do you adjust the charging voltage?

Build Thread:

post #2272 of 2410 Old 03-19-2020, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I received the Odyssey today - I do not recall ordering the extra clearance option on the positive terminal....

img_5008.jpg

Other than the color, it is identical to the Diehard.

Amazon is sending a replacement, and I keep the damaged unit. Do you think the terminal can be straightened?
wildman4x4nut and 87TPIYJ like this.

Build Thread:

post #2273 of 2410 Old 03-19-2020, 06:44 PM
RKKRAWL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Not sure what you mean here, RK. How do you adjust the charging voltage?

You should have a Harley voltage regulator (silver rectangular box) on the bottom of the control box, it has a little pot screw on the bottom of it to adjust the voltage output.
wildman4x4nut likes this.
post #2274 of 2410 Old 03-19-2020, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKKRAWL View Post
You should have a Harley voltage regulator (silver rectangular box) on the bottom of the control box, it has a little pot screw on the bottom of it to adjust the voltage output.

Good to know - thanks.

Build Thread:

post #2275 of 2410 Old 03-19-2020, 11:45 PM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You may be able to salvage it. The case splits at the red/black but not like you think. A die grinder can be used to grind the red down on the edge to till you see the black lip, then peel off the red strip remaining and carefully break the glued seal ( it is probably a MEK bond your fighting). Once you have the cap separated, open carefully to see what is in there. If it is just a lead lug, you may be able to bend it back to shape and use some epoxy around the stud to hold in place. If it is a cable leading from the lug to the cells, you may be lucky and just push it back. It is dangerous work , so wear a face mask as you never know what internal damage was done on the drop. Worth a try I think. I have repaired lifepo4's before, they have a cable inside the case.

The family TJ build:

non stock CJ's:

My CJ5 Build:

post #2276 of 2410 Old 03-21-2020, 07:52 PM
wildman4x4nut

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you are asking these questions about the batteries...… I'm going to need TWO (2) new ones since both of my Yellow Top Optima batteries are toast now. Had one fail after only 2 years and replaced it and now both at bad. So like you I am going to Odyssey batteries.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #2277 of 2410 Old 03-24-2020, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Today the replacement Odyssey was delivered, and apparently UPS followed their rule to "drop packages no more than 10 feet" because it showed up in good shape.

Side by side, there is no doubt who manufactured the Diehard...

img_0056.jpg
07wurubi and 87TPIYJ like this.

Build Thread:

post #2278 of 2410 Old 03-24-2020, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

The battery tray in the rig was designed to hold an Optima - snug. The Odyssey 34 is a bit larger than the Optima (and much heavier, as I recall), and out of the box it does not fit down into the tray. The base of the battery fits into the tray, but about half way up there are fins that increase the width. To get the Diehard to fit, you can see here where I had to trim those fins.

img_0057.jpg

With a chisel and a hammer, I made quick work of the modification to the Odyssey.

img_0062.jpg

And after the cut:

img_0063.jpg
07wurubi likes this.

Build Thread:

post #2279 of 2410 Old 03-24-2020, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

And then it was a simple trip into the Jeep. So, I guess that I did get a Red-Top after all...

img_0064.jpg
07wurubi likes this.

Build Thread:

post #2280 of 2410 Old 03-24-2020, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

...and by the way, I did take a shot at straightening the positive terminal on the damaged Odyssey using a couple of clamps. It did go back into shape, and I was even able to reinstall the red trim ring which goes around the terminal.

img_0053.jpg

Because of the damage, I would not trust it as my primary battery. However, I usually keep a spare battery around the shop for use when I'm working with or testing 12 volt stuff, so this will be fine for that purpose. And it measures 12.8 volts, so at least the positive terminal is still making contact.

Build Thread:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in