My Surgical TJ-6 Build - Page 34 - JeepForum.com
 154Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #496 of 525 Old 01-09-2020, 06:55 PM
Kalten
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Did you change your image host? The pictures are not showing up for your new tunnel press idea.

06 LJ Auto, 4" SL, Synergy Adj CA & Trackbar, 33x10.5 AT KO,
231 w/(WC,2lo,6pinion & JB-C SSYE)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 525 Old 01-09-2020, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalten View Post
Did you change your image host? The pictures are not showing up for your new tunnel press idea.
Nope. Same host. I use Google Photos. Are you on a desktop, or a cell phone?

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #498 of 525 Old 01-10-2020, 10:22 AM
07wurubi
2006 LJ Rubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can't see your latest image you posted either on my desktop at work. I can see your other images however from before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Jay View Post

Mike Fox

My Jeep:
06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon
work in progress.

post #499 of 525 Old 01-11-2020, 06:17 PM
Kalten
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The last post of yours that I can view pictures is #493 on either my iPhone/Safari or my Windows 10/Firefox PC

06 LJ Auto, 4" SL, Synergy Adj CA & Trackbar, 33x10.5 AT KO,
231 w/(WC,2lo,6pinion & JB-C SSYE)
post #500 of 525 Old 01-12-2020, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Repost. Hopefully the photo links don't break this time. Thanks for the heads up

I'm back in the throws of another transmission tunnel binge.
I've decided to retired my O.G. lo-tech wooden tunnel press. It served me well and helped bang out a few dozen tunnel orders, and would probably hold for a few dozen more. However I wanted to build something a bit more sophisticated. Something a bit less labor intensive. The first press required 2 hands, two feet, a bottle jack, and the weight of a Jeep. The new design should only require a few zips of an impact wrench. I went through several drafts and stages with it and I'm happy to say it's finally done. I should have all the parts back from the machine shop in a week or so. I'm really looking forward to final assembly. I've been brushing up on my welding skills in anticipation. I've decided that this will be my first project welded entirely by me.

VIDEO OF THE PRESSING PROCESS
https://photos.app.goo.gl/imebymzq6AzRH7LX8

Study model:

The new design will incorporate roller bearings to reduce surface friction between the tubes and the sheet metal. They should also help reduce overall stress on the base of the press. (in theory anyway...) The tubing is also beefier on this one with a 3mm wall. I got all nostalgic walking around in the locale skateboard shop. I actually considered buying one to play around with my daughter. They actually had a reproduction Rob Roskopp deck hanging on the wall behind the register (you'll understand if you skated back in the 80s)

Sorry if the photos are giant. I use to be able to resize them to something more reasonable in the script of the links but that doesn't seem to work anymore. Hence the issues with my previous post.
07wurubi, 87TPIYJ and a48jeep like this.

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #501 of 525 Old 01-13-2020, 09:37 AM
07wurubi
2006 LJ Rubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Still no pics visible for this post. I even tried the original post at home and seen no pics, too.

Quote:
Repost. Hopefully the photo links don't break this time. Thanks for the heads up

I'm back in the throws of another transmission tunnel binge.
I've decided to retired my O.G. lo-tech wooden tunnel press. It served me well and helped bang out a few dozen tunnel orders, and would probably hold for a few dozen more. However I wanted to build something a bit more sophisticated. Something a bit less labor intensive. The first press required 2 hands, two feet, a bottle jack, and the weight of a Jeep. The new design should only require a few zips of an impact wrench. I went through several drafts and stages with it and I'm happy to say it's finally done. I should have all the parts back from the machine shop in a week or so. I'm really looking forward to final assembly. I've been brushing up on my welding skills in anticipation. I've decided that this will be my first project welded entirely by me.

VIDEO OF THE PRESSING PROCESS
https://photos.app.goo.gl/imebymzq6AzRH7LX8

Study model:

The new design will incorporate roller bearings to reduce surface friction between the tubes and the sheet metal. They should also help reduce overall stress on the base of the press. (in theory anyway...) The tubing is also beefier on this one with a 3mm wall. I got all nostalgic walking around in the locale skateboard shop. I actually considered buying one to play around with my daughter. They actually had a reproduction Rob Roskopp deck hanging on the wall behind the register (you'll understand if you skated back in the 80s)

Sorry if the photos are giant. I use to be able to resize them to something more reasonable in the script of the links but that doesn't seem to work anymore. Hence the issues with my previous post.

Mike Fox

My Jeep:
06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon
work in progress.
post #502 of 525 Old 01-13-2020, 10:33 AM
Tommy R
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Jay, I've got the same issue as Mike. Lots of your recent pics aren't showing up.

2001 Wrangler stretched 99" WB, ARBs, alloys, ORIs, 4.88s, 37" Nittos

post #503 of 525 Old 01-13-2020, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Really?!?

I'm at a loss on this one. I can see ALL the pictures from both of my office desk tops. They're even showing up in Mike's quote up above. I just now renewed my JF subscription. Maybe that will fix it. I don't remember the last time I actually renewed it. However I don't remember an expired subscription ever causing this problem. At this point I have no idea what's going on. I'll try and pm. the moderators and see what they say. Thanks for blowing the whistle for me again.

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

post #504 of 525 Old 01-14-2020, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Posting in the dark here for now I guess. Hopefully a mod can figure out the problem.

I got all my parts back from the machine shop.

Photo-1
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ja...w1635-h1226-no

Photo-2
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/5U...w1635-h1226-no

Photo-3
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/QR...=w920-h1226-no
07wurubi likes this.

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

post #505 of 525 Old 01-14-2020, 09:42 AM
07wurubi
2006 LJ Rubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can see all the recent pics now. Whatever or whomever fixed it, it works now.

Mike Fox

My Jeep:
06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon
work in progress.
post #506 of 525 Old 01-20-2020, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
So I got this far and had to leave on a 3 day nature retreat with the family. It killed me to walk away from it without having had the chance to weld anything lol. And my parents will be visiting for the next two and a half weeks so who knows when Iíll be able to sneak back into the garage. I canít wait to try this thing out.

I ordered some sheet metal to do some test presses to. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

post #507 of 525 Old 01-23-2020, 09:20 AM
97TJGUZZY

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I read through your thread a few times before starting my TJ6 project a few weeks ago. Thanks for all of your very specific documentation!

For info on outdoor adventures in South Carolina check out
post #508 of 525 Old 02-10-2020, 03:38 AM
auiwdhoi123

I have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler Yj. It is a manual. I have done nothing to the motor / transmission etc. I am planning on converting it to a 5.3. What do I have to switch out in order for the 5.3 to work properly on the Jeep?
post #509 of 525 Old 02-10-2020, 11:47 AM
Tommy R
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auiwdhoi123 View Post
I have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler Yj. It is a manual. I have done nothing to the motor / transmission etc. I am planning on converting it to a 5.3. What do I have to switch out in order for the 5.3 to work properly on the Jeep?

You may be better off posting in a thread where someone has swapped an LS into a Jeep with a manual. This one has neither.

2001 Wrangler stretched 99" WB, ARBs, alloys, ORIs, 4.88s, 37" Nittos

post #510 of 525 Old 02-10-2020, 11:12 PM
DaleII

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Jay, as an LJ owner I can definitely say if I was looking for another I would highly consider building a TJ-6. The placement of the extra space, I believe, is far more off road friendly than the factory. The stretch location is a dead giveaway to me though, but I have a few spots I know are different that I watch for.

Having used SolidWorks, AutoDesk Inventor and Fusion 360, I can say that I prefer SolidWorks over them all. Maybe it's because what I learned on.

I love your attention to detail and quality work. You make me want to model every project I plan on doing, rather than just doing it. I'm assuming you don't have any models of the fenders and front of the Jeep? I want to model a set of highline fenders and it's nice to have something to start with.

2005 Silver LJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in