My Jeep and Trailer Build - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 02-03-2020, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
fishinjeeper

2001 TJ Wrangler 

My Jeep and Trailer Build

So, I’m starting this write up pretty late into my me building this up over the years. In a nut shell, I bought this jeep right out of high school, and been building up over time. A bit over 4 years ago, I broke my back in an industrial work accident. Years later, I have shed the walker, the cane, and decided to keep working on the Jeep instead in getting a newer, comfier vehicle. I didn’t drive the jeep for almost three years while I recovered.
Right before I got hurt, I rebuilt a Jeep Cherokee HP Dana 30, and installed it.
I recently changed out the winch in the front end from an old Ramsey, to a Warn VR8000. I also changed out the old Warn rock crawler bumper and put on a Quadratec tube bumper.
Back when I got this jeep, I had no Idea that I was going to have a family, so I removed the back and tossed it. Well, I got a little man and we need a tired seat. So, this weekend, I went to the junk yard and got two rear captains chairs out of a 2006 (I think) Ford Explorer. The seat configuration in the rear seat was a 40/20/40 set up. I used both the 40 sections. I also ordered new rear seat belts from seatbeltsplus.com. Shipped to the house is around $170 for new belts, buckles, and retractor for both sides. Pretty good because the dude at the junk yard tired to sell me that same set-up for $250.
So, this week’s project (back and weather permitting) will be installing the rear seats.
After that Project, I’m going to install a new alternator. Specifically, I’m looking at getting the 04 Dodge Durango snow plow model. From what I read, that alternator is a 160-amp alt. It appears to be a bolt in, but my only issue is that it comes with a 7-grove pully, and my jeep runs a 6-grove pulley. I gotta figure out how to change the pulley, which I have never done before…. I hope it can’t be too hard. Ha.

The trailer
Along with my Jeep, I had the dream of having a Jeep trailer to tow along. It comes in real handy because as we all know; Jeeps have no room. Before I got injured, I purchased a ArmorRex 62x50 trailer. It has a 1980 Lb capacity, which is great. I think I picked that trailer up for $600ish bucks. I later added the sheet metal sides which are nice, but they are sheet metal so there is no strength for adding things like jerry cans a such. I would imagine over time, the sides would prove to not be strong enough and fail. I do have some ideas in the works, mainly adding some ply wood on the tongue, moving the spare to a horizontal mount, and then attaching jerry can mounts against the siding, supported by the tongue.
About 4-5 years ago, I changed the tire size on the trailer. My old man decided to sell his old explorer to a junk yard, so I grabbed 3 tires off of it before he did. These tires had too much back spacing (I think that’s the right term), So I had to change out the axle. I ended up getting it from Etrailers.com. I was able to mount it right on to the existing leaf springs. I just had to drill 2 holes for mounting. The longer axle allowed the tires to sit out further, not letting them rub on the frame.
My future mod’s (hopefully in the near future) include adding jerry cans, remounting the spare tire, adding wheel wells, and stabling jacks.
Here is the link to the trailer http://www.longchih.com.tw/en/produc...LCI-745TC.html

Anyway, I’m trying to get all this fixed up ASAP. It appears that I will be moving to Nevada this summer and I need the beast to be ready.

Find God, your gonna need him.
Captain of the Little Liberator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-03-2020, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
fishinjeeper

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some of the pictures as of lately, as the work goes on.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3607.jpg   IMG_3609.jpg   IMG_3602.jpg   IMG_3603.jpg  
Attached Images

07wurubi and TripLeader like this.

post #3 of 27 Old 02-03-2020, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
fishinjeeper

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the trailer. This one is one the back burner for another month or two. My plan is to paint the sides green. I'm going to remount the tire on the tongue somehow. Then add two Jerry cans on the tongue against siding, and fender flares....so far.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3611.jpg  

post #4 of 27 Old 02-04-2020, 09:48 AM
07wurubi
2006 LJ Rubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Like the idea of the rear seats. Seen another do something similar in a 2 dr JK with Volvo seats. Do the Explorer seats just fold down or also tumble forward?

Mike Fox

My Jeep:
06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon
work in progress.
post #5 of 27 Old 02-04-2020, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
fishinjeeper

2001 TJ Wrangler 

They do...but you need to have the front seats pushed pretty far forward, so its kind of pointless. I haven't tried it with out the head rests, it might have more room then. With no rain in the forecast, I will be back at it this weekend. Ill post some pictures of how it folds.
07wurubi likes this.

post #6 of 27 Old 02-04-2020, 02:36 PM
JarheadAl

For some neat ideas with your trailer, read this

Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/show....php?t=1180456

It is VERY LENGTHY. So, pick a week where you don't have much else to do. Keep a pencil and a pad nearby when you do. Download the pics that speak to you. It will be hard to find them later.
Again, it's long but cool. Amazing the things people come up with.
post #7 of 27 Old 02-08-2020, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
fishinjeeper

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarheadAl View Post
For some neat ideas with your trailer, read this

Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180456

It is VERY LENGTHY. So, pick a week where you don't have much else to do. Keep a pencil and a pad nearby when you do. Download the pics that speak to you. It will be hard to find them later.
Again, it's long but cool. Amazing the things people come up with.
Thanks. I have been picking over it. There are a ton of idea in there.

Here is a picture today of the seat, finally installed. It does tumble forward, but you need the passenger seat folded forward also.20200208_094345_1581219477428.jpg
20200208_094342_1581219492923.jpg
Here it is tumbled forward.20200208_094338_1581219584889.jpg
20200208_105710_1581219600737.jpg
07wurubi likes this.

post #8 of 27 Old 02-11-2020, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
fishinjeeper

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Put some new timken bearing assemblies in over the weekend. I also took out my drive shaft and I was going to have it rebuilt. Turns out that it is more expensive to have it rebuilt then it is to have Tom Woods make you a new one.
Attached Thumbnails
20200209_112447_1581463587752.jpg   20200209_112600_1581463605553.jpg   20200209_112605_1581463658045.jpg  

post #9 of 27 Old 02-15-2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
fishinjeeper

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sooo, what are your thoughts on lifting the trailer? Laying around the house, I have these two large squares of aluminum. They are 1.25" thick.

The mounts on the front leaf is 5.5"x2". The back is 7"x2". Each mount Is secured with two carriage bolts. So, I was thinking of cutting the solid aluminum and putting it as a spacer between the spring mount and frame. I would think that with some grade 8 bolts, it should be plenty strong and safe. What is everyone's thoughts on this?
Aluminum bricks
20200215_110939_1581794045801.jpg
Front mount
20200215_110735_1581794097874.jpg
Front underside
20200215_110800_1581794089979.jpg
Rear mount
20200215_110728_1581794110178.jpg
Rear underside
20200215_110825_1581794082929.jpg

post #10 of 27 Old 02-18-2020, 10:11 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper View Post
Sooo, what are your thoughts on lifting the trailer?

I did a spring over on my cargo trailer and put 33s on it. I still had to trim the fender a bit.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #11 of 27 Old 02-19-2020, 12:14 PM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Swap out the overly-stiff factory slipper springs for some longer, softer springs with a shackle at the back end. It is written up in the link below in my signature (which I think you've already been looking at). You'll get a better ride, and even if you leave the axle on top of the springs you'll get some lift. Put the axle below the spring and you'll get even more lift.

Figure about $100 for the springs and mounts and hardware (if that). It'll all bolt to the frame.

Heck - I'll even give you the set of springs I originally used for this if you'll pay for shipping.

I'll even do one better - I'll pay for shipping if you promise me you'll buy the mounting brackets, get it mounted up (sooner vs. later), and post it with pictures on your thread here. Send me a PM.

Here's what you need to do the spring swap: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...l#post32123674
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer suspension mounted up.1 - Copy.jpg  

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 27 Old 03-05-2020, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
fishinjeeper

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Soo, over the last few weeks, I changed the injectors from stock single port, to 12 port injectors. I also changed the plugs and boots. I can say that I got a significant amount of power, and fuel economy I have not seen in years.

Took it for a little test drive up north. It did pretty good. I gotta change the races on all the Control Arm Heim Joints as they are all pretty work. I think its a factor in a shake in the front end when you hit a bump. Almost death wobble, but not quite. Should be in next week, so we will see how much that improves the ride.

I also mounted an old Chainsaw Scabbard I had laying around to the tire carrier.

After I get the new Control Arm Joints in there, I think it will be time to start on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
jeep injector.jpg   jeep 1.jpg   jeep 2.jpg  

post #13 of 27 Old 03-05-2020, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
fishinjeeper

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Swap out the overly-stiff factory slipper springs for some longer, softer springs with a shackle at the back end. It is written up in the link below in my signature (which I think you've already been looking at). You'll get a better ride, and even if you leave the axle on top of the springs you'll get some lift. Put the axle below the spring and you'll get even more lift.

Figure about $100 for the springs and mounts and hardware (if that). It'll all bolt to the frame.

Heck - I'll even give you the set of springs I originally used for this if you'll pay for shipping.

I'll even do one better - I'll pay for shipping if you promise me you'll buy the mounting brackets, get it mounted up (sooner vs. later), and post it with pictures on your thread here. Send me a PM.

Here's what you need to do the spring swap: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...l#post32123674
Thanks again for the springs. Did you move the tongue forward at all? My buddy is a mechanic and suggested I move the tongue forward 4ish inches, that way I keep the weight more centered and less weight on the tongue.

post #14 of 27 Old 03-05-2020, 10:40 PM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I did move the tongue forward... twice.

The first time was when I put the tray up front of the tub for the cooler. When I put the cooler tray up front, I couldn't swing the trailer 90-degrees to the back of the Jeep without hitting something (I call it "The 90-degree test"). So I extended it about 10 inches. You should be able to have your trailer 90-degrees to your tow vehicle without it hitting anything.

Years later, I put a new rear bumper on the back with a swing-away spare tire carrier. I couldn't swing open the spare tire carrier all the way - it hit the little ammo can I had mounted in front of the cooler. So I extended it another few inches. Now I can actually see the trailer tires in my side-view mirrors since the trailer is a little further back now.
Attached Thumbnails
tongue.3.jpg   tongue.30.1.jpg  

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 27 Old 03-06-2020, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
fishinjeeper

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Whoa, way different then I was thinking......hmmm, Do you think it would be a bad idea to replace the tongue by removing the old one, and adding a single square, or rectangular tube. Maybe like an 8ft beam (I'm at work so I cant measure) welded to the bottom. 4ft under the trailer, and 4ft tongue. I would think that would be strong enough in lieu to the A-frame style tongue. what do you think?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in