My Girl... a Boston Jeep Build - Page 9 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 1986 Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Mudmouse990

1990 YJ Wrangler 

i would say stick with the "jeep" "wrangler" may be a bit to much squeezed on there

90 yj 2.5l or pure power,thrush turbo, gutted cat, RC 4in lift,1" boom shackles, 33" BFG A/T's, outlaw alum rims,Rhino lined interior,overhead lights,connex 3300 cb, Homemade disco's, no rear trackbar
future mods- diamond plate rocker gaurds, fold down bus steps,home made front and rear bumpers , tube fenders, paint my doors red,possibly a winch, 302 ford or a 350 chevy, ford 8.8, cv style shaft and much more

Check out my build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Home made Quick Disconnects Write up
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1986 Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 AM
midnight_f150

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmouse990 View Post
i would say stick with the "jeep" "wrangler" may be a bit to much squeezed on there
x2!!!
post #123 of 1986 Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Amills

2000 TJ Wrangler 

or if your going to have 2 brackets, put jeep on one and wrangler on the other

post #124 of 1986 Old 02-03-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
djflyy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys,

So I think I'm going to stick with "JEEP" on both sides. I talked to Travis, who is a member on here by a user name that escapes me at the moment, and he said that JEEP would fit better. I saw some work he's done before, and he actually punches out the letters, so it should look pretty cool. I attached at the bottom of this post a photo of some light brackets he made for a TJ, with the letters TJ punched in.

I've been ordering parts for my awesomely awesome electrical rebuild, and so far have gotten 10 SPST on/off toggles with red rubber covers, to match my Jeep. I've been trying to come up with a decision as to where I want to mount my switches, and as we all know the space in the cab is extremely limited. My first idea was to put a switch panel in down by the old cigarette ash tray that I don't use. A piece of aluminum in there would look nice and be low down so as to not be distracting, but I fear it being too low, and the chance of the shifter knocking some switches inadvertently. These switches are NOT lit (by choice) because my other thought was to cut out the little coin tray/phone holder/pen tray type thing on the top of the dashboard center bezel, and make a switch panel into that. I would dremmel out the tray itself, and mount an aluminum box of small size (but running the width and depth of the tray) into that area. Then the switches would be directly in front of me, and not down low. This is why I opted for non-glowing switches as that might be dangerous at night to have multiple glowing red lights in front of my eyes.

Since I am in Orlando and the Jeep is in Boston, might anyone on here with a TJ be able to tell me the dimensions of the bottom and top of that little dish/tray? This will help in my decision making process.

Also, a cool little update, I posted a thread in the Fabrication section asking about welding classes in Orlando. I'm very interested in learning to weld but would rather be taught first than to just jump in and try my hand at it without any prior knowledge. Turns out (although there are no classes offered locally) that a guy on here who wants to learn as well has a friend with a fabrication shop! So, for $50, we're gathering up 10 guys to go and learn how. That $50 will get 3 hours/night on 3 separate nights to learn how to do things the welding way! I'm pretty stoked.

CTCustom Metal Light Bracket:

Also, a picture of my switches that I bought for $13 (10 switches included, 6 amp, 12v):

'17 WK2 Trailhawk Expedition Build

e-mail me -
post #125 of 1986 Old 02-03-2011, 02:41 PM
95riograndeman
2015 JK Wrangler 

Looks good. Good luck on the welding class I can only soder but wish I could try to weld. I also like that you went with "Jeep" on both sides because if it was my Jeep, my OCD that I don't have would kick in and want it even. Can't wait to see them mounted.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport
SOLD: 1995 Jeep Wrangler
post #126 of 1986 Old 02-03-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
djflyy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm working on some 3D drawings of the dash panel, I'll show you guys tomorrow.

I do have another question though, does anyone know where to get the little red lights that turn on with the toggle switches? Usually they're mounted above or below the switch itself. I have googled my heart out and can't find the right keyword to find them.

Thanks!

e-mail me -
post #127 of 1986 Old 02-05-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
djflyy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, after some very simple CAD work, here's a model of what will be on the dashboard. This will be made from 14 or 18 gauge aluminum, that will be bent into shape. Since I don't have any welding knowledge or aluminum welding knowledge for that matter, I plan on bending and then riveting the box into shape. To describe the photos below, there will be 6 switches across the front... one of them will be a master kill-all switch, so that when I leave the Jeep for extended periods of time I can shut them all off with one easy kill. There will be one light put on that, to verify power to the unit.

On the underneath/back side, there will be an Ethernet port. The Ethernet wiring will allow 6 (of the 8) strands of wire in one housing. This will be the relay control, as it's minimal voltage. The only other wire running into the cab will be 14 gauge power, and 14 gauge ground. I'm happy about this, as my original plans were to run 6x14 gauge control wires back to the relay box. Ethernet should clean it up really well.

Again, if anyone wants to send me the dimensions of that top phone/pen/etc tray, I'd really be grateful. As always, suggestions on the control box are welcome!

e-mail me -
post #128 of 1986 Old 02-05-2011, 07:22 PM
95riograndeman
2015 JK Wrangler 

Looks really nice and clean. Are you going to leave the names over the top for each switch? I think you should have someone cut them out because that would look really nice. Looking forward to see final product.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport
post #129 of 1986 Old 02-05-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
djflyy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95riograndeman View Post
Looks really nice and clean. Are you going to leave the names over the top for each switch? I think you should have someone cut them out because that would look really nice. Looking forward to see final product.
Thanks man. Yeah I was trying to figure out how to go about getting that done, and I'm not entirely sure. I suppose there's a list of small-town people that could... even something as simple as a place that makes fake dog-tags and has an engraving machine. Same to be said for key-manufacturers?

All places to look for!

e-mail me -
post #130 of 1986 Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Tyler_C_Perry
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Love the light bar!
I'm definitely gonna try and do the same thing, but mounted at the top of the windshield
post #131 of 1986 Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
djflyy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_C_Perry View Post
Love the light bar!
I'm definitely gonna try and do the same thing, but mounted at the top of the windshield
Thanks for the compliment man!!

You might want to do a search for a user by the name of minges14... he built a windshield version of what I build for his TJ using the same lighting and same hardware equipment. I had mentioned his build earlier on page 4 or 5 of this one as the inspiration for my idea. I couldn't find his exact thread for you, but I know it's on here somewhere. Use keywords like his name, the phrase "northern tool lights" and "light bar" and I'm sure you'll find it in no time!

Here's a pic of what he did:

e-mail me -
post #132 of 1986 Old 02-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Tyler_C_Perry
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Found it, although he wasn't as discriptive as you were as far as mounting it and putting it together. So i'll have to bounce back and forth between ya'lls threads to get this going where i want it to.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...17/index7.html

Thanks man!
post #133 of 1986 Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
djflyy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Can anyone give me the dimensions of that dashboard tray?

Thanks!

e-mail me -
post #134 of 1986 Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
djflyy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Alrighty, got the info on my own

Here's a hack photochopped job of what it will look like. Please excuse it as I didn't bother to spend the time to get a CAD export at the right angle for the Jeep photo. This is an idea as to what it will look like, if I go with the dashboard design. The benefits to going here (over other locations, like the hook some guys tie CB brackets onto over the rearview mirror) is the ease and ability to hide the wiring.

Dimensions for the trapezoidal tray are as follows, for anyone who cares - Measurements from the bottom/inside, instead of the top rim:
  • Rear length- 9.25"
  • Front length- 8.26"
  • Width both sides- 3.54" diagonally
  • Depth- .51"

e-mail me -
post #135 of 1986 Old 02-08-2011, 05:21 AM
95riograndeman
2015 JK Wrangler 

Great Positioning. I love it! Cant wait to see it in place.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Tags
35s , boston , built tj , chili pepper pearl , north shore jeeps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in