My 1998 TJ build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 03-15-2019, 05:28 AM
snobrder540

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
If you are getting a vibration from the clutch it would be most prevalent when engaging or disengaging the clutch. Getting the flywheel resurfaced would be a really good idea. I've done a number of clutch jobs on both jeeps and subarus and I typically get a new flywheel with the clutch to avoid those headaches.

tristin5199 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 03-16-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
tristin5199

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrder540 View Post
If you are getting a vibration from the clutch it would be most prevalent when engaging or disengaging the clutch. Getting the flywheel resurfaced would be a really good idea. I've done a number of clutch jobs on both jeeps and subarus and I typically get a new flywheel with the clutch to avoid those headaches.

Well I actually found the issue. The last two times I’ve done this clutch, I had the same machine shop resurface the flywheel. Since I’ve run into nothing but issues dealing with them, I decided to go elsewhere. When the new shop went to go balance and resurface the flywheel, they saw that the whole surface job on it before was a hack job. There was over a 1/4” difference on one side of the flywheel. The video he sent me of it on the jig looked ridiculous.

He told me that the average flywheel asks for about 8 grams when balancing. His balancer said it needed 160 grams...

There were no other issues that I found that could cause a vibration in the driveline. Therefore, everything should be fine once I put in my new clutch, pressure plate, and new flywheel.

The old flywheel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #33 of 39 Old 03-18-2019, 10:31 AM
snobrder540

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristin5199 View Post
He told me that the average flywheel asks for about 8 grams when balancing. His balancer said it needed 160 grams...
just WOW... That would cause a massive vibration or two!

Glad to hear that was the issue
tristin5199 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 39 Old 03-19-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
tristin5199

Got the Jeep finished up yesterday. It’s a night and day difference in how the ride is inside now. No rough idling Or at high RPMs. The clutch feels nice and smooth. I’m happy to have my Jeep back so I can just enjoy it now. This money pit has me struggling sometimes lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #35 of 39 Old 08-14-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
tristin5199

Hey guys, sorry I haven’t posted in the past few months. Time flies by when you’re having fun. Earlier this year in April me and my friend took a trip up to big bear. We ran dishpan springs and Holcomb creek with no major issues. My friends front ARB locker was leaking and acting up for some reason when he was going up the mid line on the dishpan waterfall. So he backed down and took the left side route. I was going to try it but my rear locker was not really working as I got hung up 5 minutes earlier. Holcomb was fun and not too challenging.

post #36 of 39 Old 08-14-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
tristin5199

Back in June we also took a morning trip to cleghorn trail. This is a fun trail for all, bypasses for stockers but hard lines for those looking for a challenge. I took all the “hard” lines. Fun day

post #37 of 39 Old 08-14-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
tristin5199

Recently, I took a trip up to big bear, planning to run Holcomb creek and John Bull. It was starting out as a bad day though because in the first turn into big bear I had no power steering. This was the third pump and was only in for a month. Cardone is the crappiest company I’ve ever dealt with but it’s the only pumps any store has on hand. I ended up running Holcomb creek with no PS. Long story short I stuffed my passenger tire on lower larga flats going at a pretty quick speed and kinked my track bar. I had limited steering to the driver side and my axle sat 2 inches offset to the driver side. It was not the greatest day to say the least

post #38 of 39 Old 08-14-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
tristin5199

Fast forward a couple weeks, I did some maintenance, replaced the track bar, replaced the PS....twice... I didn’t have time to order another brand so cardone is was again. The first one literally ran for 10 seconds and then took a ****. Tried to get any air pockets out and still nothing. Went back and got another. Second one worked...kind of lol. It was super whiny no matter what fluid I tried. Also got the air out.
I also opened up the rear end to see what was making a bunch of noise. The fluid looked broken down for some reason. Anyways, this locker has been a battle ever since I put it in, not really working when I need it. We took a test light that you can put 12v to and plugged it directly into the locker wires. Well no sh*t the clutch pack sucked over and the locker finally locked. One stupid little plug gave me many headaches. It’s always the little things. And the chattering noise went away as well.
All of this was prep to head up to big bear again. We planned to do Gold mountain and John Bull.
Needless to say it was a great day with no breakage. I even did the hard line on John Bull. Enjoy the pics A nice little CJ with 33s and posis He made it through both trails not problem.

Hard line

This was an awesome trip up to big bear. I love my Jeep so far and it’s coming together well. I could seriously use a 4:1 or atlas 5:1 because this little 4 cylinder doesn’t have enough torque for the 4:88s to crawl nice and slow. Time to save up lol. I also plan on getting a LS power steering pump and fabbing up some brackets.

post #39 of 39 Old 06-26-2020, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
tristin5199

WOW has it been a long time since I’ve been on here. Much has happened in the past year for me and the Jeep. Most noted is that I did the dusy-ershim trail back in October. Lots of prep went into the trip including a hand me down winch, new psc pump which hasn’t skipped a beat since. Here’s some pics:

Also, I took this Jeep out to Glamis sand dunes and all I gotta say is the little 4 cylinder rips! Just gotta keep your foot to the floor and drive the piss out of it. I even made it up olds

In the big bowls

And I towed for the first time going out there! It handled great no issues. Did 55-60 no problem

Most recently I hit up dishpan springs for round 2 and almost rolled on the first obstacle, rollcage time!

So I’ve had these 35” milestar Patagonias for about a year now, and they have been through more trails than I can count, I have abused them, ran the sidewalks on sharp rock, jumped the Jeep, etc. and all I gotta say is this has by far been the best bang for buck on my build. The tires are sticky on the rocks, float on top of snow, ride quiet and there’s plenty of tread left on them. They are also wearing pretty well.

I have a couple upgrades coming up, like reinforcing the stock cage, a superwinch talon, and some taller front coil springs. More on that later.

NashvilleTJ likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in