My '14 JKU Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 68 Old 09-19-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
dangerz

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar View Post
Lookin good, I think I saw your wife driving that little yellow box down Altamesa today.
Ha, awesome. She got a flat right after that. I'm on a plane right now so I'm not sure how it turned out. If you see a little yellow box on the side of the road, feel free to say hi.

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 10-11-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
dangerz

2014 JK Wrangler 

Hosted by JeepParking.com

Just a shot from last Saturday. Nothing fancy. I almost purchased an xd9000i winch again in the hopes of restoring it, but it didn't work out. I'm really tempted to get the Smittybilt x20-10. I normally wouldn't have considered much of anything but Warn, but the SB has a lifetime warranty on it and the price is pretty freakin good for a synthetic line winch. $580 for a synthetic, 10k, waterproof winch (smittybilt) - or $900 for a synthetic, not-waterproof, 8k winch (m8000-s)?

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~
post #33 of 68 Old 11-16-2015, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
dangerz

2014 JK Wrangler 

I picked up a used M10000 off of craigslist the other day. I got it for $400 which I thought was a pretty decent price. It didn't come with a remote and it needs a new cable, but I was wanting to go synthetic anyway so that's not a big deal. I'm hoping after rebuilding it I can be ~$900 in. Here are the pictures from the seller:

Story is that the winch was used on a farmer's trailer. It was rigged to a post that picked up hay. Seller purchased the trailer but didn't want the winch, so I got it.

I started by inspecting the winch as is.

Date code shows that it was made in 1993.

Wires are in decent shape.

Time to take the wire rope off and see what the drum looks like.

Not too bad. A bit of surface rust, but nothing I can't take off. You can also see that I taped up the winch and marked it up. With the clutch handle backwards, I won't be able to mount it on the Jeep. It already barely fits. The markings show how far forward I need to turn the drum.

I also went ahead and pulled the solenoid housing off as I'll be relocating that into the engine bay.

Make sure to mark the cable when you do this as it'll make it easier to put back together. Next step was to clean the whole thing.

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~

post #34 of 68 Old 11-16-2015, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
dangerz

2014 JK Wrangler 

Let's start by inspecting the solenoids.

Not too bad really. Just a bit of Texas dirt. Let's get the gear housing off.

It actually looks like it's been cleaned and maintained. This is a good sign, but I still want to replace the gear grease. I ended up ordering some Aeroshell 33MS. Let's get all the pieces off.

I didn't realize that there was a piece with like 30 ball bearings. Fortunately the gear grease held them in place, so I was able to get them all into a jar. Using some Simple Green, I was able to get the parts pretty clean.

In cleaning everything up, I found that the Stage 3 Carrier Assembly had broken at some point and the previous owner had tried to fix it.

I'm debating on whether or not I want to buy a new one. I'm finding it hard to find online. It's part #18257. I'll email Warn and see what they can find me.

So far I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not sure of what I want to paint it when all is said and done. I'm thinking a satin black with a red Warn logo. I also still need to figure out what kind of rope I want to get. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Cost so far:
Winch: $400
New Remote Plug: $20
Aeroshell 33MS: $28
Total: $448

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~
post #35 of 68 Old 11-17-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
dangerz

2014 JK Wrangler 

So unfortunately Warn doesn't make that piece anymore and they don't have any suggestions for Synth Rope for this winch. Looks like I'm going to just go forward with the piece as is and hope for the best. I also asked them for a decal kit for the M12000 so I could make it work for my M10000, but they were reluctant to send it to me. I'll just go without decals for now.

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~
post #36 of 68 Old 11-20-2015, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
dangerz

2014 JK Wrangler 

Had some fun on the way to work

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~
post #37 of 68 Old 11-20-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
dangerz

2014 JK Wrangler 

Ordered a few parts for the winch.

Set of Zeon Winch Spacer Plates for my bumper. These will lift the winch up 1/8", which is enough for me to install my next purchase.
Warn 11078 Universal Flatbed Winch Mount - Foot Forward Kit. This will let me mount the winch foot forward, which is the correct way to mount this thing and not risking it blowing up. I spoke to PSC and Warn about this and Warn agreed it'd work, while PSC agreed that I'd have to cut holes for the bolts on the outside but it shouldn't be a problem.
Lastly, I ordered a new Socket kit for the Solenoid holder. The older socket wasn't in bad shape, but the connecting rubber piece that closes it when the controller isn't attached was broken. The piece was cheap enough for me to fully replace.

Between the paint and all those new parts, I'm now $488 into the rebuild. I'm not counting the mounting plate or the spacer plates since those were needed due to my Jeep setup.

I still need to determine what I want to do for winch controls. I'd like in-cabin controls as well as a remote. I don't feel like paying $70 for a new Warn remote, which is the equivalent of $20 of parts. I think the best of both worlds would be a wireless controller. I might just make my own, even though I found a wireless controller for $15. I think I can make one that won't require additional wires. You would be able to just plug it directly into the receiver socket when needed.

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~
post #38 of 68 Old 11-22-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
dangerz

2014 JK Wrangler 

Got the rest of the winch apart.

I really don't want to touch the brake assembly. I remember how much of a pain it was to get back together after I took it apart on my xd9000i, so I'm gonna leave it and hope for the best there. From what I could see, it seemed fine in there.

I cleaned the supports as best as I could. Motor looks clean, almost new. The cross-beams were a pain to get off. There was a lot of rust, but I ended up freeing them using a lot of PB Blaster and my vice grips. They'll get cleaned and painted so you won't be able to see any marks that I left. I also picked up new bolts for them.

Overall, I'm really happy with the condition of this winch. I can't wait to start painting. I think I'm gonna go with a stealth look. Dark metallic gray, gloss black cross-beams and bolts. Only coloring will be the red Warn logo. Since Warn doesn't make stickers for this guy anymore, there won't be much on there.

Last things left to buy are remote and winch rope. I'm hoping there will be a black Friday sale for that so I can save some money there. I'm also looking at getting a 25" light bar for the winch mount up front.

That's all I have for now.

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~
post #39 of 68 Old 11-25-2015, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
dangerz

2014 JK Wrangler 

Parts are primered and ready for paint. Aeroshell grease came in earlier this week along with the mount and some other misc pieces. I got a good deal on a remote as well. All that's left is the rope and I should be done buying what I need.

I should be able to finish painting and getting everything back together this week.

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~
post #40 of 68 Old 11-25-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
dangerz

2014 JK Wrangler 

Found a used Zeon 8 for $300 on craigslist tonight! I almost picked it up, but it had already been sold. Also found a Zeon 10-s for $1000. Almost grabbed that guy too, but alas, it was sold. The only reason I'm remotely reluctant to mount this winch is I don't want to drill additional holes in my bumper for the winch mount For some reason I didn't care at all about drilling holes for the hood and other no-going-back changes I've done, but holes in my bumper are not something I'm excited about.

Anyway, I'm pressing forward with the rebuild. Parts are painted

It came out a little more gold than I had wanted, but I'm hoping that's just because it hasn't dried yet. The cap was pretty dark. If it stays this gold, I might rethink the color of the cross-beams. They're currently a satin black which doesn't really match.

I don't think I'll have time to get the winch back together this weekend, but hopefully by next week I should be good to go. Just need to order the rope now.

Total so far for the rebuild is $515. Not too bad seeing as how the only thing I have left to buy is the rope.

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~
post #41 of 68 Old 11-29-2015, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
dangerz

2014 JK Wrangler 

Now that the parts are painted, it's time to get them together. Let's start with the motor.

This part is easy. You can orient the motor in whatever direction you want, as long as you take into account your control box wires. I'm mounting my control box off of the motor, so I faced the Warn label out.

With the motor on, start to put your bolts in. I took the opportunity to put never-seize on the bolts.

Apparently I didn't take a picture of it, but I also used some gasket maker from Autozone between the motor and drum support.

With the motor on, it's time to go to the other side. Let's get the gear housing done.

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~
post #42 of 68 Old 11-29-2015, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
dangerz

2014 JK Wrangler 

To make things easier, let's mount the drum on the support. Make sure to put some grease on the drum ends when you do this. It's pretty straight forward, so I didn't take many pictures.

Don't forget the nylon washers that go on the ends too.

Next is the hardest part, getting the gear box back together. It's hard and super easy at the same time. It's easy in the sense that it's not many parts and hard to mess up. The hard part is getting all the gears aligned so they drop in correctly. This part is also very messy, so you'll have to forgive me for my lack of pictures.

For those that have the earlier M10000, it's easiest to get the ball bearings back on if you grease up the gear first. They will just stick to the side and not fall off. With everything back on, put some grease on the end support and get the gear box attached.

Ta-da! And with all the parts together.

All that's left is to get the rope on and get everything mounted. Unfortunately the winch doesn't line up perfectly with the mount, so I'll have to make the holes slightly bigger. No biggie.

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~
post #43 of 68 Old 11-30-2015, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
dangerz

2014 JK Wrangler 

Look what I picked up

Now to decide on which winch to put on, the M10k or the Zeon 8.

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~
post #44 of 68 Old 12-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Nice job on the rebuild, and nice score on the Zeon! The M10K is probably a better match for a JKU than an 8K is, but those Zeons just look so dang cool, haha.

Jason West -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 JKUR Hard Rock, RE/Synergy 3.5", 37" GY MTR/Ks
'95 XJ, RE 5.5", 35" MT/Rs, D30 w/hubs & ARB, D44 w/Detroit, 4.56s, C4x4 bumpers, etc, etc.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

post #45 of 68 Old 12-02-2015, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
dangerz

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason, aka: Jeepin.com View Post
Nice job on the rebuild, and nice score on the Zeon! The M10K is probably a better match for a JKU than an 8K is, but those Zeons just look so dang cool, haha.
Thanks! Yeah, I agree about the looks. I'm debating on reselling both and then just buying a Zeon 10. Best of both worlds.

'14 JKU
JeepParking.com
~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in