LJ on a budget - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 213 Old 10-20-2015, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I was there 3 weeks ago. Going back 11/5 - 11/7. We'll be on the trio and either Metal Masher or Hells Revenge.

Tim S.
My build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 213 Old 10-20-2015, 05:15 PM
w0280093
1978 CJ7 

nice!
post #48 of 213 Old 11-03-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I decided to chop my front bumper and add some d-ring tabs I picked up from my local buggy fab shop. I snagged them for $9 and borrowed my neighbor's cheap welder. Don't mock my welds. I never claimed to be a welder. I'm liking the stubby profile.

Finished its about 5" shorter on each side.

Tim S.
My build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 213 Old 11-03-2015, 11:29 AM
kvesi122
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Welds came out great
post #50 of 213 Old 11-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah dude I would not be disappointed in those welds...way better than mine haha stubby bumper looks way better

06 LJ Rubicon

post #51 of 213 Old 11-03-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

We have a trip to Moab this weekend, and I had hoped to have lockers and gears done before we left. I didn't consider the time and mileage it takes to break in the new gears. But I was able to get a basic lockrite installed in the front for almost nothing. I remembered I had a friend down the street who pulled his lockrite out when he did his gears and upgraded to an OX locker. He told me a couple years ago that I could have it, but I never considered not having a selectable locker up front. But, since I was able to have it installed for almost nothing, I snagged a new set of springs for the locker and had a local gear dude throw it in, for the time being. The thing looks brand new too. It shows no signs of wear at all. I seriously doubt this will be my permanent locker, but I figured it didn't cost me hardly anything, so why not run it until I'm ready to do gears and better lockers next year. I'm excited to see how it handles in Moab in a couple days. I'm a little worried about the steering, but we shall see.

I also swapped out my rear control arms with some super cheap adjustable control arms. The Core 4x4 arms you see on ebay are made by a local crew here in Utah. I wanted to square up my pinion angle without spending a butt load, but I soon realized the poly bushings in these arms are not worthy of me. It turned into an extremely rough ride, just going down typical paved roads. Literally painful. I pulled the lower arms out and but the stock arms back in. It is almost as smooth as stock, and I got rid of 95% of my freeway vibes with the adjustable uppers. I still think it is only a temporary fix though. I think I'll have better ride quality and definitely more flex with some higher quality arms all around.

Tim S.
My build:
post #52 of 213 Old 12-02-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

It has been a couple weeks since we were in Moab, and i was missing it so much already, I keep finding myself flipping through the photos. I thought I would post a few. I recently added a LockRite in the front. Not my ideal set up for the front, but I had a neighbor with a brand new one just sitting in his garage. He let me have it for noting, so I figured I might as well run it, until I re-gear and/or break something. I'm happy with the way it performed.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/d01u1QneD28Uk3zPuTNCgqrsvDpbWzFyO_QMGPjeYCWtvx_Pc0 cFB8LnaJTdwp11cRDoJ0yFfCyNGZMMJy4i5XK_X04R23mCbWjG 1HF8GM-g98hYBpoDnqwYWs8oTZo3njPVfXELMGF01tyOU2s9zQVQjxTxa xsI9cktU7Wbrj4D9QDhye1THn7ZoBwNK-BhE04RWBpx7hEGcCom1IvXxI5YpUj4yv5yYNujiR9wekp-u0kVQ9ECDM2B3GPMznet863YTdm2eOU2KBxYqiJRpz_j13SVzv b5bRmGbTQj0Loh_gC30RVTUTbKtTq9U8EZFxSehyUUNOzIhD2_ W2_ne7veGxDQHAkWljZS4KNzKPRWoj4xsmk9hGs7PkyfeVz-Y8xTu6fDz6emy6sd3yAuHNgAqIvK0jD-iyk****0NGN6E-JXP0Ar4G7APyAAYQDqVq40x3txYdeFS89Ttfi1FfbPtvolpWqY TBNECCaYwuk0msSNcLOKQSvnRTf7mFT3FEZNPmxXDFTRBlzZhW pa6ftA49r6v3OBpVIM_v7RkYWRxmoBT-ShkyJIO2RHoXxFRZSh1gAHjDEDsy7E9ARCm1Ll6xX3PyVBQ-ESXvnxdD942MsJSjOxSg1GZwNnY0-N9znttWs0Gf5O3ybElgYXwNh0m0Qln-Bp=w1024-h683-no[/IMG]

Tim S.
My build:
post #53 of 213 Old 12-03-2015, 07:19 AM
citykitty23
2004 LJ Wrangler 

it looks so beautiful out there! nice work on the build!
post #54 of 213 Old 01-20-2016, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I did a few minor things to the jeep lately. All have been inexpensive and effective.

1. I replaced my crappy headlights with KC Hilites. Best 30 minute upgrade yet. My old lights were seriously worthless on the road.
2. I replaced the steering stabilizer. This made a small impact, but noticeable none the less. There is definitely less subtle wiggling cruising down the highway.
3. Also installed a Novak cable shift linkage for the transfer case. After my 1" body lift, getting it in 4low has been pretty stubborn. It would often pop out of gear in inconvenient times too. Scary. The Novak is great. Slips right in gear nice and smooth.
4. Last thing was a ZJ tie rod conversion. I'm shocked at the difference this made. Overall steering is MUCH tighter. Didn't spend much $ and feels like a whole new steering system.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7875.jpg   IMG_7876.jpg   IMG_7941.jpg   IMG_7942.jpg  

Tim S.
My build:
post #55 of 213 Old 01-30-2016, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I've had some locals keep asking about my bump stop set up, so I thought I would post a photo, just so I have some record of it somewhere. I have 2 hockey pucks bolted on the bottom, and a set up Daystar extended stops that I have trimmed down to about 2" from the cup. Sorry for the salt. Tis the season.
Attached Thumbnails
12662629_1109276652439461_699696203735748069_n.jpg  

Tim S.
My build:
post #56 of 213 Old 02-17-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

We had another successful trip to Sand Hollow. On our way down, I picked up a Currie Antirock for the front. I threw it on the night before we hit the trails. Overall, I am happy with the product. Installation was straight forward. It is a little stiff for my style. I think I will back it all the way to the softest mounting hole. Below are some pics from the trip.

I also just picked up a HP Dana 30 with 4.88's in it. I've been saving for lockers for a while and will be dropping this axle in as well as lockers for the front and rear and new gears for the rear in a couple weeks. Pics will come when the makeover goes down.

Tim S.
My build:
post #57 of 213 Old 02-19-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Pretty excited about what this next few weeks will bring. I picked up an HP Dana 30 with 4.88's for dirt cheap. So I'll be picking up gears for the rear and OX air lockers for both. Adding some gussets as well. Just finished cleaning it all up and re-sprayed. I didn't worry about the cover, since they will be replaced by the OX covers. Crossing my fingers the new gears and the high pinion doesn't introduce any new vibes.

Oh, and I picked up some floor mats. Should help it perform much better.

Tim S.
My build:
post #58 of 213 Old 03-25-2016, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The LJ just finished some fairly significant workovers. First was a new soft top for the summer. I'll be keepin the hard top for the colder months. I love the Bestop, but I'm concerned it won't be as easy and convenient to break down on the trail as I had hoped. We'll see though.

As previously posted, the HP30 I scored had mini gussets welded to the C's, upper and lower brackets.

I also added OX air lockers to the front and rear. After adding 4.88 gears to the rear to match the new front axle, I added chromo shafts to the rear.

I routed the switches to the front control area near the t-case lever. I ran a hose to the switches from a paintball air tank I have mounted to the roll bar behind the drivers seat. I couldn't be happier with the OX lockers. They engage instantly and use very little air.

I also installed my CB that I have had sitting around. My buddy and I are communicating very well. Nice and clear. But I hear it is important to tune my antenna, so that's next on the to do list.

We have a trip to Moab in 2 weeks. I'm excited to put the lockers to the test. This will be the first time I have ever had front and rear lockers.

Tim S.
My build:
post #59 of 213 Old 04-06-2016, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Here's my slightly ghetto cargo rack.

Tim S.
My build:
post #60 of 213 Old 04-27-2016, 12:58 AM
blazenorange
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Very nice budget build!! Very capable w/o the high $$$ cost of most rigs. How is the ride on the street? With every build thread I read, makes me want to get back and start wrenching more and more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in