LJ on a budget - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #196 of 221 Old 07-11-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Great trip. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Id like to get out there some day. And the rig looks great. I love the stance with the stretch.
Thanks dude. The stretch is my favorite modification yet.

Tim S.
My build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 221 Old 08-13-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I just completed my rear axle swap, 4-link, and while I had it over to my friend Jeromy's shop, I had him add some stuff to my cage that I had sitting in my garage for the past few months. I ended up with a Teraflext semi float CRD60. The process of getting this axle built for my set up was amazing. I was able to take my jeep to the shop and Corbin took measurements so we would have the correct pinion angle and correct shock mount spacing and angles (since I already had outboarded my shocks and used the high clearance, correct oriented Artec axle mounts). I can't thank the axle team enough for the amazing job they did, and they cranked it out for me in lightning speed.

I am also using custom built links using Metalcloak joints. My initial plan was to use OEM JL front lowers for the lowers on this project as they are close to the same length Savvy and Rokmen are using for their mid-arm set ups. I had planned on doing a mid-arm set up all along, and since it's pretty easy to score JL arms for free, I figured that would be a great option for the lowers. It turned out, because the Artec frame mounts put the lower mounts inboard quite a bit, there is too much binding using the JL arms. So we went with a matching custom set of adjustable lowers using the Metalcloak joints.

There was quite a bit of measuring before and after the old axle was pulled, in attempt to get the same ride height and axle position. Due to the HUGE axle tube, a couple of those measurements ended up being changed slightly. I think I ended up with 1/2" extra height in the rear, which I may adjust at some point, but it doesn't bother me a ton.

The triangulated upper links makes a super solid set up. I was delighted to eliminate the rear track bar, as I have never enjoyed how the jeep drives with the track bar. Dips in the roads at 40+ have always felt weird, and the rear end always dropped more on one side than the other. With the 4-link set up, it tracks evenly and has no odd manners on the road anymore, regardless of the speed.

Tim S.
My build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #198 of 221 Old 08-13-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

While I had access to the plasma table, I decided I would shorten my front bumper since I was rubbing my tires on the ends in certain situations.

Tim S.
My build:

post #199 of 221 Old 08-13-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

With the paint all dry on the brackets and links, it was time to flex it on the forklift. I can now justify longer shocks in the rear. The front will still remain as my short t-rex arms for the time being. It is time to take a break from building.

Tim S.
My build:
post #200 of 221 Old 08-14-2019, 07:01 AM
Queticon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

"on a budget"

What kind of budget is that? The same as the Pentagon?

Truly awesome build, Tim!
07wurubi likes this.

No matter where you go...
There your Jeep is.
post #201 of 221 Old 08-14-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queticon View Post
"on a budget"

What kind of budget is that? The same as the Pentagon?

Truly awesome build, Tim!
Over the past 2 years, I agree some upgrades have been a bit more of a hit to the wallet. But my theme remains. I'm still on a super tight budget, and if certain things haven't aligned regarding sales of my old parts, and local shops and companies helping me out, none of this stuff would have been possible.

If I wasn't on such a tight budget, I would definitely be sitting on full float 60's front and rear. But I just don't think that will ever happen. I honestly didn't think the 40's would ever happen either, but a local shop really pulled through for me. In hind-sight, the 40's were probably a mistake in my build. I could have reasonably kept running 37's and handled all the same trails I planned on running. The problem was, I had the chance to take the 40's home for a test fit (without buying them). I took a few pictures, and the minute I put my old tires back on, I felt like I had surgically removed a lady's breast augmentation. Who would do that? So I pulled the trigger on the 40's. I ran some trails in Sand Hollow, and the Rubicon, and I was sold.

Between the 40's, JK brakes all around, rear axle, and especially the 4-link with triangulated uppers, the jeep is driving better than it ever has. With that, I have no regrets. I'm looking forward to mid-arming my front end, but again, because my budget is tight, that will have to wait at least a year. I'm taking a break.
daddyjeep87 likes this.

Tim S.
My build:
post #202 of 221 Old 08-14-2019, 02:31 PM
07wurubi
2006 LJ Rubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

With the outboarding of the rear shocks, did you have to make any modifications to the EVAP system?

Mike Fox

My Jeep:
06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon
work in progress.
post #203 of 221 Old 08-14-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wurubi View Post
With the outboarding of the rear shocks, did you have to make any modifications to the EVAP system?
Before the stretch, I was just able to shove the canister all the way to the back, and trimmed the bracket. Once I did the stretch and 40's, I bypassed the canister. No codes. Just crossing my fingers it passes emissions in a few months.

Tim S.
My build:
post #204 of 221 Old 08-14-2019, 03:57 PM
07wurubi
2006 LJ Rubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJTim View Post
Before the stretch, I was just able to shove the canister all the way to the back, and trimmed the bracket. Once I did the stretch and 40's, I bypassed the canister. No codes. Just crossing my fingers it passes emissions in a few months.

Do you have info on how you did the bypass? I've seen something like that before, but for the life of me, I can't find it again.

Mike Fox

My Jeep:
06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon
work in progress.
post #205 of 221 Old 08-14-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wurubi View Post
Do you have info on how you did the bypass? I've seen something like that before, but for the life of me, I can't find it again.
I don't, but if you pull the canister and look at it, you can easily see where you can plug the enter hose into the exit hose, then just plug in the electrical connectors into the harness. It is a 60 minute job, and that includes figuring out how to mount the gas flow thingy.
07wurubi likes this.

Tim S.
My build:
post #206 of 221 Old 08-14-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple photos of how mine ended up. It would look much nicer if I would just get new hosing, but you really never see it.

07wurubi likes this.

Tim S.
My build:
post #207 of 221 Old 08-15-2019, 09:41 AM
07wurubi
2006 LJ Rubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you. That gives me somewhere to start. I need to do this to mine so I can modify the opening for my 37s.

Mike Fox

My Jeep:
06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon
work in progress.
post #208 of 221 Old 08-23-2019, 07:03 PM
brianscoob
Big Sauce AMC 401

1976 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks for all the info and write up
post #209 of 221 Old 08-26-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The stretch has been favorable in almost every situation. This particular obstacle was one I could usually walk right up. It takes a little more finesse with the added wheelbase. 4-doors have even a tougher time. Check out the video below.

Tim S.
My build:
post #210 of 221 Old 08-29-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The cage has worked out well, although, I keep putting off re-installing my speakers and soft top door surrounds. I'm just loving how simple and clean it looks without them on there. I have been thinking of painting my windshield frame black for a while. My jeep has a lot of small rock chips in the paint. The windshield frame might have been the worst of that. Since the windshield took an accidental hit from a piece of tubing from the cage install, I figured it was time to give paint it, since the windshield trim would be replaced anyway.

Tim S.
My build:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in