LJ on a budget - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 178 Old 12-13-2018, 11:28 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Lookiní good, Tim. Iím jealous of your lift.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 178 Old 12-14-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Thanks, I'm jealous of the lift too. The shop belongs to a buddy of mine.

Tim S.
My build:
post #168 of 178 Old 12-14-2018, 02:16 PM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
You say that to everyone that has a lift.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

post #169 of 178 Old 03-20-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Next item of business has been to stretch the rear of the LJ. Due to the fact that I have already outboarded my rear shocks, I had to be creative. I decided to cut the frame and move the whole arch /back half of the frame back. to do this, I got a 5" section of steel to fill in the gap from moving the frame back. Then I chopped off the rear 5" of the frame, which landed right ad the edge of the inner crossmember of the LJ. I added an inner sleeve and plug welded the layers together. For some extra peace of mind, I added an additional fish plate on the inner surface. I'm no welder, so don't judge to harshly. I'm not quite finished. I still have to add a pair of body mounts on the inside of the arch in the frame. Lots of random items to tie up the project, but the tough parts are complete.

07wurubi and janesy86 like this.

Tim S.
My build:
post #170 of 178 Old 03-23-2019, 02:59 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Nice. I always hated the LJ overhang.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #171 of 178 Old 04-02-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The bulk of the work on the stretch is done. I just have a few more odds & ends to wrap up. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. There are a couple areas I am not stoked about, but I think it will work just fine.

Funny thing, I never knew the OEM tailgate hinges bulged into the tub - meaning they don't sit flush. I didn't realize that until I went to put the tailgate back on the other day, and there is a 1/2" bulge making it so I couldn't attache my hinges over the armor. I scratched my head a bit, then looked under the tub and felt behind where the hinges go. Sure enough, there was a huge indentation in the tub. So I had to order new hinges. I'm heading to Moab this week and I'm praying the hinges get here in time. I really need that to secure my gear.

Tim S.
My build:
post #172 of 178 Old 04-03-2019, 04:52 AM
rsmithtesiusa
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJTim View Post
Here's my slightly ghetto cargo rack.

Tell me about your Ghetto Cargo Rack! Have a 2004 LJ also and I think that looks great. Where did you get the basket & how did you mount it? Does it fit with the back seat in or out?

Great Looking Jeep and thanks for all the info!
07wurubi likes this.
post #173 of 178 Old 04-03-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmithtesiusa View Post
Tell me about your Ghetto Cargo Rack! Have a 2004 LJ also and I think that looks great. Where did you get the basket & how did you mount it? Does it fit with the back seat in or out?

Great Looking Jeep and thanks for all the info!
Ha!! You like that? It works pretty well. It stays in the jeep all the time, with the back seat in place. I just used conduit clamps and screwed it right into the tub with self-tapping screws.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...4aAgiwEALw_wcB

I had to trim the bars slightly, but it has worked well ever since I installed it.
07wurubi likes this.

Tim S.
My build:
post #174 of 178 Old 04-11-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

First trip wheeling after the stretch and things went great. We spent a few days in Moab, and I was not disappointed. I'm most happy with the improved departure angle, but the added wheelbase is a bonus. I made a few climbs with ease. A couple that I wouldn't have touched before, and even a couple that I had done before, but this time, it was like a whole new jeep.

Tim S.
My build:
post #175 of 178 Old 04-11-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

There's something I didn't realize when putting the new armor on the jeep. I had intentions of putting the tailgate hinges on top of the armor, and using a Savvy tailgate skid to clean up the look of the back. I was caught off guard when I went to put the hinges back on. Apearently the OEM hinges don't sit flush against the tub. There is actually an indentation in the tub that the hinge recesses into. I had no idea, so I had to order some new hinges that would sit flush on the new armor. I ordered them, and made a special request that the seller expedite the shipping, since I had a Moab trip in less than 5 days from the time I ordered them. I got an email 3 days later with a tracking number - for 2 days after we return from our trip. So, I had to use a make-shift tailgate out of plywood for our Moab trip. It did the trick, but I'm happy to have these nice Kentrol hinges on. Now I'm just trying to figure out what to do with my license plate. Pretty sure I'l just bend it and put it on the corner. I wish I didn't have to though.

Tim S.
My build:
post #176 of 178 Old 04-11-2019, 05:31 PM
TheWorldWideWeb

Any clearance issues with the rear axle and gas tank now?
post #177 of 178 Old 04-11-2019, 09:01 PM
rsmithtesiusa
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJTim View Post
Ha!! You like that? It works pretty well. It stays in the jeep all the time, with the back seat in place. I just used conduit clamps and screwed it right into the tub with self-tapping screws.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...4aAgiwEALw_wcB

I had to trim the bars slightly, but it has worked well ever since I installed it.
Ordered the rack! Thanks

Can you provide a few additional pic on how you mounted it with the conduit straps and where exactly you had to trim the Bars?

Thanks again - this is exactly what we have been searching for! You should patent that......
post #178 of 178 Old 04-12-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorldWideWeb View Post
Any clearance issues with the rear axle and gas tank now?
The relationship between the axle and the gas thank remain the same since I made my cut in front of the rear lower control arms. I did shorten the arms about 1/2" with the intent of getting my axle closer to the center of the new wheel arch in the Daddy Longlegs armor. I previously had some contact due to the large Ox diff cover. I don't think there is any contact anymore.

Tim S.
My build:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in