The "Kitchen" XJ Build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 585 Old 12-23-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitchen

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Chili Pepper Red XJ

My name is James.

I would say im one of the youngest members on the forum only being 17.

Quick overview of my build thread:
When i turned 16 and needed a vehicle. So after hours of research i found the perfect vehicle for me.
My 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport, Chili Pepper Red

So the spending begins. I found a craigslist lightbar and made my first mistake, i bought a brushguard without a winch mount

Then i got my first taste of offroad. At the time i thought this was dirty as crap hahahaha

Then came the 3 inch lift

Then after joining jeepforum i learned about flex and took some poser shots. at that time i knew nothing of swaybars haha

Then came another 2 inches and some big boy tires & rims. i also learned about fender trimming and siding removal.

i soon realized that my tires stuck out way to far for VA state laws and plus it didnt look good in my opinion

and no fenders also meant it got dirty easily. (My first real wheeling)

Then came the way over priced plastic

Then i learned about swaybars, i started by removing my rear swaybar

i learned quickly that just because you have fender flares doesnt mean you cant get dirty

i found a local buddy skilled in jeep/fab work and started learned more in depth what makes a trail rig good

Started going to offroad events and finally disconnected my front swaybar

Got my first rollover scare. looking back at the pictures i realized it wasnt that bad but it still scared the ***** out of me.

Next came the first time i got stuck. only one back tire spun i had to be winched. and thus lockers and a winch were added to the to do
list

And so i sold the brushguard and upgraded to a winch bumper and then of course........bought a winch

Next up was lockers, locked front and rear. Big thanks to my good friend GrouchyTim for teaching me about gears and lockers and installing them

So here it sits today (1/19/12) a mildly build trail rig

This is only phase one of my build thread, things dont get crazy until i get out of highschool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 585 Old 12-23-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Kitchen

1999 XJ Cherokee 

After getting her home i decided to wash, wax, and detail the engine!
Attached Thumbnails
jeepcleanside.jpg   jeepengine.jpg   jeepenginea.jpg   plate.jpg   plate1.jpg  

post #3 of 585 Old 12-23-2010, 07:10 PM
weidmaier
2004 TJ Wrangler 

hahaha im in the same boat as you, im currently paying my parents back for my jeep and am life guarding making 7.50 an hour and all the money is going to the jeep. good luck on the build! it might be a slow one but it will be very well earned

post #4 of 585 Old 12-23-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Kitchen

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I decided to do some exhaust work to kick off the build. i welded a flowmaster 40 series muffler in place of the stock one and cut off the stock pipe turn down so the cheap glass-pack tip i picked up advanced auto parts would fit.
Attached Thumbnails
jeepe.jpg   jeepeturn.jpg   jeepetip.jpg   jeepeb.jpg   jeepea.jpg  

post #5 of 585 Old 12-23-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Kitchen

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidmaier View Post
hahaha im in the same boat as you, im currently paying my parents back for my jeep and am life guarding making 7.50 an hour and all the money is going to the jeep. good luck on the build! it might be a slow one but it will be very well earned
thanks! well the good news is ive already done some mods. so the build is gonna be fast at first. but i just sold afew things and racked up $500. so i should have a lift and tires here within afew weeks!
post #6 of 585 Old 12-23-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Kitchen

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Next came the coldair intake to complement the exhaust. i decided to get the K&N kit from Rustys Offroad. The kit works great and increaseed my exhaust loudness. The only drawback to the Rustys cold air kit is the lack of a heat shield so in good fashion i decided to drop by the dollar store and get a trash can and i started chopping away. the end result looked and worked great! i lined it with reflective tape and sealed it to the hood with pipe insulation. maybe later ill run a ram-air system but for now i got other stuff to spend my money and time on.
P.S. sorry about the night pictures
Attached Thumbnails
kn.jpg   p.jpg   p2.jpg   p3.jpg  
post #7 of 585 Old 12-23-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitchen

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Next up was a deal i couldn't refuse, i saw a lightbar on craigslist for cheap and it came with all lights and wires. they are 6" inch KC Daylighters (100W/8amps). so i got to drilling and wired her threw the roof. i waterproofed everything of course and ran the switches right beside the dash cluster. ill post pictures up later comparing them to stock headlights.
Attached Thumbnails
plate.JPG   plate1.jpg   p.jpg   p2.jpg   p3.jpg  

post #8 of 585 Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 PM
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This could be good, I remember when I was in high school when I had money..now im in college and have NO money for Jeep... Keep it up man.
post #9 of 585 Old 12-23-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Kitchen

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The first snow of this winter was last week so i decided to go exploring alittle. although i didnt go too crazy seeing how i have stock street tires that dont agree to well with the slush underneath the snow. but either way i had fun. cant wait to put some real tires and a lift on the jeep!
Attached Thumbnails
plate.JPG   plate1.jpg  
post #10 of 585 Old 12-23-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Kitchen

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jack5 View Post
This could be good, I remember when I was in high school when I had money..now im in college and have NO money for Jeep... Keep it up man.
thanks!
post #11 of 585 Old 12-23-2010, 09:36 PM
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Jeep is already looking good...

2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 585 Old 12-23-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Kitchen

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I learned craigslist works both ways when yesterday i sold my piccolo trumpet for $500(i used to be a band geek my freshman year of highschool)...and what does this have to do with my build?? $500 = lift & wheels!! im thinking about a 3 inch RoughCountry lift on 31x10.50 BFG All Terrains with Crager Soft 8's. I already have new BFG AT's my friend sold to me(prolly the most expensive part out of the way) i just need to buy a lift kit and some wheels! so ima wait till after xmas to see if i get anymore cash to throw into the project. im hoping to have it lifted within a month!
Attached Thumbnails
donna 187.jpg  
post #13 of 585 Old 12-23-2010, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitchen

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
Jeep is already looking good...
thank you, i cant wait to get some tires on her!
post #14 of 585 Old 12-23-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitchen

1999 XJ Cherokee 

This is the reason why i got a Jeep Cherokee right here, my buddies can keep their Fords and Chevys. That white Jeep beside mine is my brothers 3rd jeep Cherokee. He ran the odometer in his first Cherokee to 427,000 miles with the original engine and automatic transmission and even then it took a T-bone from a suburban to kill it. but anyway the white jeep in the pictures is my brothers' 99' Cherokee Classic 2 door, same year, same engine and transmission as my red Cherokee sport.
Attached Thumbnails
jeep24.jpg   bro.jpg   bro2.jpg   bro3.jpg   bro4.jpg  

post #15 of 585 Old 12-24-2010, 03:36 AM
crouch_104
1989 XJ Cherokee 

nice jeep man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in