Jeep Swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 Old 09-21-2020, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
King_Nick10

[QUOTE=4Low2G0;41078599]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler82 View Post
I'm relative new to Jeep, yes I am building one but I don't know much !

What about sectioning the CJ5 body, rebuilding it to fit the TJ Chassis ?

Is the TJ like a CJ7 size ?

People put wider full size axles under truck all the time, except this time you would be changing the body... a lot !
That's not really what the OP is looking to build. read post #4 again.
People cut up jeep bodies all the time, but in this case why?, start with a CJ7 and no cutting
but, that's not what he has or is looking for..

That's a decent looking tub and I like the stance, and with the parts he is proposing,
I wouldn't use the weaker TJ D35 axle and unit bearing D30, then have to redo all the suspension mounts.

Not everyone is looking to build an over the top Jeep, I've built lots of vehicles over the years,
and it is possible to overbuild for the intended end product/use and ends up being a flop needing
some serious revision.

The build I proposed in post 12 would be fairly simple. And a modern engine and trans can
transform a vintage vehicle.

just my $.02, but what do I know....

Thanks so much for the input! So you think the manual transmission from a 2000s jeep will fit the axles with a 20, or 300 transfer case?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 09-21-2020, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
King_Nick10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Low2G0 View Post
Nick,

Since nobody has asked the question, what tools and know how do you have for this project?

Not to down you, but it helps with advice on the build.

Looks like the CJ is pretty well stripped, do you have any of the parts?
Do you know what engine was in the CJ?
I am the kind of guy that is mechanically clined. I can easily learn as I go. I do a lot of research on the steps I need to take, and learn quickly. I have a wide variety of the tools I will need. I have people around that I can borrow specialty tools from when they are needed. I bought the cj with no engine. To my knowledge it had the original 4.2L in it.
post #18 of 30 Old 09-21-2020, 09:21 PM
Scrambler82

1982 CJ8 

Quote:
That's not really what the OP is looking to build. read post #4 again.

Thx, missed the whole idea.

Scrambler82

Do it right the first time !

post #19 of 30 Old 09-21-2020, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
King_Nick10

This jeep is a proposal gift to my soon to be fiancé. The wants to have a Jeep, but not for a long time. I’ll give her this for a few years, then when we want to get a “family” vehicle. We will get a Subaru cross trek. Then the Jeep comes back to me. So I get the Jeep, and the girl haha
post #20 of 30 Old 09-21-2020, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
King_Nick10

Will a model 300 or 20 transfer case work? I know that typically the issue is that on a 2000 Jeep things are on the opposite s
post #21 of 30 Old 09-22-2020, 09:53 AM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Nick10 View Post
Will a model 300 or 20 transfer case work? I know that typically the issue is that on a 2000 Jeep things are on the opposite s
The adapter in the link I posted yesterday will allow you to use a 20 or 300 transfer case that have the correct
pass side drop for the axles in your jeep along with the NV3550 trans that was in the TJ

Whats over that next ridge?
post #22 of 30 Old 09-22-2020, 10:04 AM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
I am the kind of guy that is mechanically clined. I can easily learn as I go. I do a lot of research on the steps I need to take, and learn quickly. I have a wide variety of the tools I will need. I have people around that I can borrow specialty tools from when they are needed. I bought the cj with no engine. To my knowledge it had the original 4.2L in it.
Sounds like you should be able to handle this build, mostly bolt together if you do not swap axles
and the Jeep was a 258 to begin with.

Wiring and plumbing it cleanly will be the most work, take your time on this and do it right. but the FI will be worth it.

post #23 of 30 Old 09-22-2020, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
King_Nick10

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like you should be able to handle this build, mostly bolt together if you do not swap axles
and the Jeep was a 258 to begin with.

Wiring and plumbing it cleanly will be the most work, take your time on this and do it right. but the FI will be worth it.
Thanks for all your help! This is awesome, and it makes this build go a lot smoother!
post #24 of 30 Old 09-22-2020, 04:33 PM
wildman4x4nut
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you try doing a search you can find write-ups of people who put a 4.0 head on a 4.2 block to get the fuel injection. So you should be able to use their suggestions for the wiring. One thing you need to decide and that is do you want to wire the engine for OBD1 or OBD 2? OBD 1 will be easier to wire but you are very limited to what performance mods you can do to the engine. OBD 2 is harder to wire but very worth it if you want to add performance mods to the engine at a later point.

If you want OBD 1 it would be easier to by a 1991-1995 Wrangler and use that drivetrain. Of course if you want to have OBD 2 then the Wrangler you have you eye on now will work great.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 30 Old 09-23-2020, 11:52 AM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman4x4nut View Post
If you try doing a search you can find write-ups of people who put a 4.0 head on a 4.2 block to get the fuel injection. So you should be able to use their suggestions for the wiring. One thing you need to decide and that is do you want to wire the engine for OBD1 or OBD 2? OBD 1 will be easier to wire but you are very limited to what performance mods you can do to the engine. OBD 2 is harder to wire but very worth it if you want to add performance mods to the engine at a later point.

If you want OBD 1 it would be easier to by a 1991-1995 Wrangler and use that drivetrain. Of course if you want to have OBD 2 then the Wrangler you have you eye on now will work great.
This is true, I fully agree

The 1991-1995 YJ would get you an AX-15 5SP, this is also a good transmission,
My own Jeep is a 93 4.0 AX15, the OBD1 is limited, and I have an OTC monitor 2000 with
the proper cartridge to interface.

OBD2 is is better in every way. well worth the extra effort
and it can be accessed with the Torque app and a $20 plug in module,
This will allow you to diagnose, and also set up a dashboard on your phone
with gauges for engine sensors

In short, I would go OBD2 in your build.

This also brings up that you should take a good look at the harness on the donor Jeep,
as you may be able use some of it on the CJ and remove the circuits that are unneeded.

post #26 of 30 Old 09-23-2020, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
King_Nick10

In your opinion, should I keep the drum brakes, or convert to disc brakes?
post #27 of 30 Old 09-23-2020, 02:38 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
For sure a Front disc conversion, rear drums should be rebuilt, new master cyl. and
proportioning valve for a disc drum set up will be fine for what your planned use is.

post #28 of 30 Old 09-29-2020, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
King_Nick10

Does anyone have any good places to purchase part jeeps? I’ve been looking on “iaai.com” I’m looking for a 2000-2004 wrangler 4.0 6 cylinder with 120k miles or below.
post #29 of 30 Old 10-01-2020, 09:00 AM
wildman4x4nut
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just start watching Craigslist & Facebook Market Place for a Jeep to come up that meets your requirements. Also watch forums like this & Wrangler TJ forum plus any other ones that you can find. Depending on what you are looking for you could also check out https://car-part.com/ as it is a website for junkyards.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #30 of 30 Old 10-03-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
King_Nick10

Can I put an automatic transmission in the cj 5 I’m planning to build? What makes the manual a better fit?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in