Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Ahhhh, Exxon?

Yeah, I suppose not...

Michael
Western Washington
'66 CJ5 under construction
post #168 of 178 Old 03-31-2018, 10:32 AM
jeapfreak

Awesome, just found this thread. Plan to read it all. I've often thought the same thing. And with charging getting easier every day right on. I love the idea of not leaking fluids ever, even turned turtle. Plus the instant torque, no clutch, maybe a motor for each tire..... And can't get much simpler.

Checkout these guys....

evwest.com

post #169 of 178 Old 04-01-2018, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

I have two sons. One at age 23 and the other 28. Like all other children (Ok they are not really children anymore but for me ...) of their generation they are connected. I talk to them about how we lived before smartphones and the internet, 30 years ago, not 200 years ago ... They have a hard time imagining their lives without all their connected gadgets. The automobile included.

Look at all the gadgets in today's vehicles. Blind spot detectors, system that calculates the distance to follow with the vehicle in front. Bluetooth, etc. Even the mechanics do not listen to the engines anymore. They plug the car on a computer to find out what the problem is.

If we forget the ecological side, for today's young people connecting a car as the plugs their phone is quite logical and simpler than making a detour to the gas station.

The first thing my two sons said to me when they learned about my electic jeep project was: Daddy, welcome to the 21st century.

Jeep CJ5 1975 100% Electric

- Build thread in Jeep Build section
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- My web site (French):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #170 of 178 Old 04-01-2018, 09:05 AM
Kalten
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I started reading this thread a while ago and have sporadically kept up with it. But I do not recall whether or not you had planned to install a small generator to recharge the batteries in the event you are too far from an extension cord. You would even be able to extend your cruising range. A small diesel generator would be my choice like an Onan.

06 LJ Auto, 4" SL, Synergy Adj CA & Trackbar, 33x10.5 AT KO,
231 w/(WC,2lo,6pinion & JB-C SSYE)
post #171 of 178 Old 04-01-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalten View Post
I started reading this thread a while ago and have sporadically kept up with it. But I do not recall whether or not you had planned to install a small generator to recharge the batteries in the event you are too far from an extension cord. You would even be able to extend your cruising range. A small diesel generator would be my choice like an Onan.
My main goal is to have fun in my garage with an original project. I do not build a Tesla, my project is artisanal. Once finished hopefully I will be able to use my electric jeep for short trip. 50 miles and I'm happy. So no need for a generator.

:

- My web site (French):
post #172 of 178 Old 04-02-2018, 12:14 AM
GraySkies
1966 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben-jeep View Post
I will be able to use my electric jeep for short trip. 50 miles and I'm happy. So no need for a generator.*
As long as it lasts long enough for some fun off-road adventures, I would consider it a success. Many of the people I know trailer their jeeps to and from the trailhead anyway...

Michael
Western Washington
'66 CJ5 under construction
post #173 of 178 Old 04-02-2018, 10:51 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I would Totally rock an electric Jeep w/ a 50 mile range.

I could cover my entire weekly commute with a single charge, and still have 20% left in the battery reserve.

Hoss

If you had to choose between World Peace and a Jeep, what size tires would you run?
post #174 of 178 Old 07-21-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

I just bought a new fiberglass body for my project.

John Strenk likes this.

:

- My web site (French):
post #175 of 178 Old 07-25-2018, 08:01 AM
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
There goes your budget...

79 CJ5
post #176 of 178 Old 07-26-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garet.friedrich View Post
There goes your budget...
No problem with the budjet. I paid $750 for my fiberglass tub and sold my metal tub for $500. I do not need the fiberglass front. I am going to sell it and hopefully my budget should not be affected.

:

- My web site (French):
post #177 of 178 Old 01-06-2019, 04:47 AM
DutchJPR

1986 CJ7 

Garage
Any progress?

Dutch builds: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dutch-build-1231816/
post #178 of 178 Old 01-07-2019, 09:28 AM
jeapfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchJPR View Post
Any progress?
Yeah, definitely following.

For all the nay sayer, Mack Trucks started out building pure electric commercial vehicles over 100 years ago. If not for Henry Ford and Texas crude, fossil fuel might not have won the battle.

Today battery technology is so good it is easy to imagine a 1000 mile range. And you could replace the entire powertrain, rad, engine, tranny, TC, difs, driveline, and use 4 separate motors. Leaves 2000# available for batteries, with a solar panel on the roof? Unlimited range.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in