Jeep CJ5 Electric - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 178 Old 09-24-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

I had to review the transmission location. The connectors of the motor are much too close to the steel of the support.

I worked on the engine brackets. I had old truck mud guards in my garage which served me as carpets. I cut one in lanner and glued them on the two parts of the support.

The rear drive shaft is install.

2ndhandWJman likes this.

Jeep CJ5 1975 100% Electric

- Build thread in Jeep Build section
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- My web site (French):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 178 Old 09-30-2017, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

I installed a protective grille on my motor for not damaging the brushes.

The transmission support is to old and damage. I made a new one.

:

- My web site (French):
post #153 of 178 Old 10-29-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

I started to disassemble and clean the front differential.

:

- My web site (French):

post #154 of 178 Old 01-24-2018, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

This morning I entered my garage to work on my project and realized that I had never seen the wheels of my jeep turn with the electric motor on. So I start 2018 with a short video of my jeep that is slowly coming alive.

contdevelop likes this.

:

- My web site (French):
post #155 of 178 Old 01-24-2018, 09:47 AM
bgredjeep
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Very cool.

Any thoughts on building an additional "motor mount" at the bellhousing? Seems like it would be pretty easy to build something off each side of that adapter plate to run down to the frame with a bushing on each side. I'd be a little concerned about the motor twisting with only that clamp style mount once you are actually trying to move the Jeep under power.

post #156 of 178 Old 01-24-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Very cool.

Any thoughts on building an additional "motor mount" at the bellhousing? Seems like it would be pretty easy to build something off each side of that adapter plate to run down to the frame with a bushing on each side. I'd be a little concerned about the motor twisting with only that clamp style mount once you are actually trying to move the Jeep under power.
I did several searches on the web and the majority of the engine mounts I saw did not have any bushing.

All this is new to me and I am confident that I will have to make several changes once I have started the tests on the road. I would not be surprised if rubber bushing for the engine is useful.

bgredjeep likes this.

:

- My web site (French):
post #157 of 178 Old 03-04-2018, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

I did some work on my front differential. After a good cleaning I will be able to install a disc brake system.

stgil likes this.

:

- My web site (French):
post #158 of 178 Old 03-25-2018, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

Some pictures of my jeep starting to take shape.

:

- My web site (French):
post #159 of 178 Old 03-25-2018, 09:47 AM
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJP View Post
Check out this electric JK...
Fascinating videos. The main thing I notice is that the sounds of the wind and streams are louder than the Jeep. I'm onto this thread late but am glad I found it. 5 years ago I did not think that electric vehicles had much viability, but lately I have finally concluded that I think their numbers will increase greatly, even exponentially, for a decade or more.

"I give you a republic, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
post #160 of 178 Old 03-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Great work! Does the angle of the electric motor/transmission/D300 need to match the pinion angle of the rear axle? In other words, if the axle pinion is pointed 5 degrees up, should the motor point 5 degrees down?

post #161 of 178 Old 03-25-2018, 11:42 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I actually think a Jeep makes incredible sense in electronic form. The instant torque of electronic motors is impressive.

Hoss

If you had to choose between World Peace and a Jeep, what size tires would you run?
post #162 of 178 Old 03-25-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
ben-jeep

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Great work! Does the angle of the electric motor/transmission/D300 need to match the pinion angle of the rear axle? In other words, if the axle pinion is pointed 5 degrees up, should the motor point 5 degrees down?
In the video he has no weight on the differential. The old suspension that is on the jeep is the one that was on when I bought it. With a good new suspension installed, the batteries and the tub in place the angle should be good.

:

- My web site (French):
post #163 of 178 Old 03-25-2018, 04:09 PM
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
I actually think a Jeep makes incredible sense in electronic form. The instant torque of electronic motors is impressive.
Agreed. On a semi-related note, I get Jegs, Summit Racing, and other automotive performance catalogs in the mail almost weekly. 100% of it is dedicated to fossil fuel vehicles. As time goes on I think we'll start to see those companies offer performance parts for electric vehicles. The market will be huge. For any part in an electric car, it can be improved, tweaked, lightened, strengthened or otherwise made better. I have no gripe with fossil fuel vehicles, and I intend to build or buy a high horsepower internal combustion engine at some point, but I think electrics will be the future. If today's electric cars are akin to 1980's remote control electric cars, then we have some huge performance gains to be seen in the next 2 or 3 decades.

post #164 of 178 Old 03-28-2018, 05:25 PM
GraySkies
1966 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
I think electrics will be the future. If today's electric cars are akin to 1980's remote control electric cars, then we have some huge performance gains to be seen in the next 2 or 3 decades.
I completely agree, Ken! I am excited to see what the future may hold for electric vehicles. I will not be a buyer until their performance equals my gas engine vehicles, but we are well on the way there. The limiting factor still continues to be storage. If someone, sometime, comes up with a way to store electricity in sufficient quantity to rival a full gas tank, and comes up with a way to recharge it in anything resembling a reasonable period of time, the market will explode.

Electric motors have such amazing potential for producing torque at low rpm, who wouldn't want that?

Michael
Western Washington
'66 CJ5 under construction
post #165 of 178 Old 03-28-2018, 07:01 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post

Electric motors have such amazing potential for producing torque at low rpm, who wouldn't want that?

Ahhhh, Exxon?

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in