Impact Orange LJ - Page 59 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #871 of 1924 Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleNEO View Post
Your thread made the Jeepforum newsletter I just got in my email! Congrats.
Cool. I did know there was one. I guess I unsubscribed long ago.

Aluminum is ordered and will be here next week sometime. 10' x 4' x .032 or 20ga for $75.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
Bought/Wheeled/Sold: 85 CJ, 79 FSJ, 05 LJ, 06 WK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1924 Old 06-16-2013, 10:02 AM
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Will you be up and running for 4th of July? Looking to make a trip to Sicily.
post #873 of 1924 Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Might as well call this jeep Murphy.

Dialed in the rear suspension pinion angle
moved the front axle back almost an inch due to hitting the trackbar. Then dialed in the front pinion angle.
Added the springs that hit the artec gussets
Disconnected AR axle side
Trimmed the artec gussets
added the tires and wheels to align the steering
pushed it out of the garage..... due to a dead battery
brought the battery to get it check out and charge at Autozone

Here is where it confused me: Before I attempt to move the jeep, I tried to start it with absolutely no response (no engine turning over, not even a sound). Pushed it out of the garage and jumped it off with another vehicle. I let it idle for about 5 minutes to get warm. I then jumped in and was turning the jeep around to get it on level ground when it just died, just shut off. My dad was standing in front of it and said he heard a thud or some type of noise. I removed the battery cutoff switch from the circuit (a positive interrupter that goes to a switch to cut off power). We tried to jump it off again with no luck. I brought the battery to autozone for them to test it and recharge it. They said it just needed a charge and was at 5V when I brought it in (optima yellow). I returned about 6 hours later and they said it was at full charge and was still a good battery. I brought it back to the jeep and the jeep still had no response when I turned the key. Any thoughts?

I am going to try to clean the battery terminals (it has screw on post that have a bolt on them that allow me to add the cables and remove them with a wing nut)
A friend will be coming on day this week with a multimeter to test where the power is
Could be the main fuse going into the fuse box?
Don't think the power is getting to the starter
I just started it before the problem happened, I don't think it is the ignition switch, but it could be.

I also ordered so pre cut tabs that should work with the inner fender idea.
And ordered blaine's stripped knuckle kit https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...uckles-437187/
And I think I will be changing u joints and possibly doing the washer/u joint fix with stock front axle shafts

Before it is wheelable:
blaine's knuckle fix
alignment and figure out battery problem
inner fenders/ mount rad overflow bottle somewhere
new u joints for front axle
Adjust both doors to work with the tnt spacer kit

Hopefully, I will be there LAS. I am running out of excused for not driving this.

And it is out of the cave.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces

post #874 of 1924 Old 06-17-2013, 09:37 AM
G Beasley

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice shot , hopefully its something simple in the 12volt thats getting you .

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
post #875 of 1924 Old 06-17-2013, 10:00 AM
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Damn, what luck.
Did any of the gauges or radio come on after the battery was charged, or nothing at all? Try jumping the starter with a screw driver and see if it will turn over. My battery has been weak the last week and I discovered that the jeep will not idle if the battery is low, had to let it charge up first.
post #876 of 1924 Old 06-17-2013, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
Damn, what luck.
Did any of the gauges or radio come on after the battery was charged, or nothing at all? Try jumping the starter with a screw driver and see if it will turn over. My battery has been weak the last week and I discovered that the jeep will not idle if the battery is low, had to let it charge up first.
Nothing came on. I turned the aux light bar on with no response and the head lights with no response too. I am convinced the power is not getting from the battery to the accessories, just need to confirm this.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
post #877 of 1924 Old 06-17-2013, 10:43 AM
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hooked up correctly?
Is the cut off switch still taken out?
post #878 of 1924 Old 06-17-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Nice shot , hopefully its something simple in the 12volt thats getting you .
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
Hooked up correctly?
Is the cut off switch still taken out?
It worked well enough before.... Seriously, I drove it for a week with the cut off switch installed and worked great. It is still out of the system at this point.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
post #879 of 1924 Old 06-17-2013, 11:59 AM
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tried jumping the starter selinoid?
post #880 of 1924 Old 06-17-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Not yet.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
post #881 of 1924 Old 06-17-2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

It looks like it is the battery. We just put a tester on it that applies a "load", with the load on, it read 2V. I am going to pull it again and get another opinion from a battery store asap.

EDIT: Just looked up the warranty, and it is still covered and will get a free replacement. After the third test, I will bring it back to auto zone and have that conversation.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
post #882 of 1924 Old 06-17-2013, 03:19 PM
TroubleNEO

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue recently, and it turned out that the wire going to the solenoid on the starter had corroded up into the wire. I could turn the starter over by jumping it with the clutch switch disconnected, the jeep in neutral, and the key on run, but it wouldn't start, which made me confused. Must be something with these newer Wranglers.

Anyways, trying a bunch of other things I cut back the wire, crimped another ring terminal on it, and problem solved. Hopefully your battery bad is the issue, but if not, make sure you are getting voltage to the solenoid.

edit: Mine just happened without warning. Literally started it, drove it down the street to the store, went inside, came out and it wouldn't start for almost a week until I found the issue and fixed it.

Looking for: 03-06 interior plastic trim. PM me.
post #883 of 1924 Old 06-18-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Went to get a second opinion on the yellow top this morning and battery warehouse said it was so dead it wouldn't even turn their tester on. Went back to autozone, when I walked in with the yellow top in my hand, the young girl behind the counter asked me "what that is" was while she was standing beside the optima display with 20 batteries on it. After we talked about the warranty (that she knew nothing about), I have a new battery to put in and new connectors for a grand total of $7. Hopefully this will solve the issues.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
post #884 of 1924 Old 06-18-2013, 02:32 PM
TroubleNEO

2006 LJ Wrangler 

They recently fired the manager at my local favorite advanced, and there are a couple other new people there. I heard that someone just had it out for him and wanted him gone.

Last time I was in there another customer asked where he was. That place fscking blows now and won't get any more of my business. Ben used to price match Rock Auto for me, give me deals on stuff, etc. I now have no reason to go there when everything is double the price of anywhere else.

I even asked the new manager if he would price match like Ben used to do for me, etc and he flat out refused. I told him to look up my account and see how much I'd spent there the last three years and he still didn't care. Oh well, I can take my money other places.

On the battery not Optima's got bad a few years back sadly. I have a massive Kinetik in my Jeep now after using them in other vehicles for a few years, and it has never let me down. I freaking rubbed a hole into my current one, drained it flat more times than I can count, and its just a beast. When I rolled my Jeep it pulled the Jeep up a hill almost the full 125' of my winch line with the engine off because I didn't want to turn it over without pulling the plugs. After I pulled the plugs and cranked it over a few times, it fired the Jeep up without missing a beat. I think this is the third one I've owned now.

Looking for: 03-06 interior plastic trim. PM me.
post #885 of 1924 Old 06-18-2013, 02:38 PM
monsonman
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Went to get a second opinion on the yellow top this morning and battery warehouse said it was so dead it wouldn't even turn their tester on. Went back to autozone, when I walked in with the yellow top in my hand, the young girl behind the counter asked me "what that is" was while she was standing beside the optima display with 20 batteries on it. After we talked about the warranty (that she knew nothing about), I have a new battery to put in and new connectors for a grand total of $7. Hopefully this will solve the issues.
pics

'05 LJ Rubicon Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'98 TJ- build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

instagram: @vohnsonthemonson
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in