High travel, high clearance & high octane, a streetable adventure LJ story - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #286 of 338 Old 01-03-2019, 03:14 PM
GIJOEL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toximus View Post
I'm firmly in the no-stanchions camp myself. Under a highway rollover, my mental roll/crash test simulator keeps putting them right into my legs with a chance of slicing the left leg open, with possible intrusion into the chest area. It seems that the stock roll cage is safer.

I'd love to see more actual rolls to see what happens to the stanchions.

Going behind the dash with tubing is definitely the most time consuming part of the install so I can see how the stanchions and bolt on cages look attractive.
Stu Olsen has a page on his site that shows what happens to an OR-Fab trail cage that bolts to the dash mounts during a roll over.
TBT Sports Bar Rollover.

Here is the video from that roll over: Click Here

Here is a post with a picture of the GenRight version of the type of cage I choose. Genright Cage barrel rolled. you can see that the passenger compartment is intact, however, you can't tell if the stanchions have invaded into the passenger compartment.

In my case, I decided a while ago I was going to connect the A-Pillar floor stanchion to B-Pillar in order to incorporate seat mounts into my cage. I'm also looking at tying it into the frame, but I haven't decided on that yet.

Keep up the good work
Joel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 338 Old 01-03-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJOEL View Post
Stu Olsen has a page on his site that shows what happens to an OR-Fab trail cage that bolts to the dash mounts during a roll over.
TBT Sports Bar Rollover.

Here is the video from that roll over: Click Here

Here is a post with a picture of the GenRight version of the type of cage I choose. Genright Cage barrel rolled. you can see that the passenger compartment is intact, however, you can't tell if the stanchions have invaded into the passenger compartment.

In my case, I decided a while ago I was going to connect the A-Pillar floor stanchion to B-Pillar in order to incorporate seat mounts into my cage. I'm also looking at tying it into the frame, but I haven't decided on that yet.

Keep up the good work
Joel.
Interesting info. It sounds like you're going to be doing a whole lot more caging than I plan to.

Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #288 of 338 Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

post #289 of 338 Old 01-04-2019, 09:43 AM
07wurubi
2006 LJ Rubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

In my TJ, I bought the Synergy cage setup a few years back. Had a buddy make templates of that cage for future use. It is a sturdy cage. I did modified frame tie ins do to the Rough Country lift I put on it. We only installed the front portion of the cage as I was worried most about my passenger and myself. Never have people in the back seat to worry about. I may turn to my buddy again to put the same cage in my LJ or go another route. Still trying to figure that out yet.

Mike Fox

My Jeeps:
00 Wrangler Sport

06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon
work in progress.
post #290 of 338 Old 01-04-2019, 09:49 AM
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

It looks like you're using Blaine's design on the track bar. I went that route as well. Are you going to notch the frame? On mine, I had to bend the track bar to clear the diff for the angle I wanted because I'm using a JK axle with a flipped drag link. I'll need to put a notch in mine to clear the drag link and a little bit of the track bar.

Tim S.
My build:
post #291 of 338 Old 01-04-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wurubi View Post
In my TJ, I bought the Synergy cage setup a few years back. Had a buddy make templates of that cage for future use. It is a sturdy cage. I did modified frame tie ins do to the Rough Country lift I put on it. We only installed the front portion of the cage as I was worried most about my passenger and myself. Never have people in the back seat to worry about. I may turn to my buddy again to put the same cage in my LJ or go another route. Still trying to figure that out yet.
Would you mind sharing the templates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJTim View Post
It looks like you're using Blaine's design on the track bar. I went that route as well. Are you going to notch the frame? On mine, I had to bend the track bar to clear the diff for the angle I wanted because I'm using a JK axle with a flipped drag link. I'll need to put a notch in mine to clear the drag link and a little bit of the track bar.
Yup. I want to finalize steering before I notch too far so I know exactly where they'll interfere. I need to do somewhere between 1-2" up for the notch.

post #292 of 338 Old 01-04-2019, 10:07 AM
LJTim
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yup. I want to finalize steering before I notch too far so I know exactly where they'll interfere. I need to do somewhere between 1-2" up for the notch.
I'm in the same boat. I'm actually already wheeling mine, but I'll be notching mine soon.

Tim S.
My build:
post #293 of 338 Old 01-04-2019, 10:18 AM
arg0413

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That cage is looking great! I need to do this for safety's sake! You tied into the dash mount like in the picture of the Jeep that rolled on Stu's site?

Supercharged 4.0 Rubicon build:

post #294 of 338 Old 01-04-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arg0413 View Post
That cage is looking great! I need to do this for safety's sake! You tied into the dash mount like in the picture of the Jeep that rolled on Stu's site?
Through the dash down to the plate I pictured on the floor pan. I'm hoping to do final assembly later today (paints curing right now on a few parts.).
arg0413 likes this.

post #295 of 338 Old 01-05-2019, 07:45 AM
07wurubi
2006 LJ Rubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Would you mind sharing the templates?

My buddy has them and is going through a move currently. He mainly just bent up tubing to match what I had bought for the TJ. I have noway of bending tube myself no the space to do it.

Mike Fox

My Jeeps:
00 Wrangler Sport

06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon
work in progress.
post #296 of 338 Old 01-05-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wurubi View Post
My buddy has them and is going through a move currently. He mainly just bent up tubing to match what I had bought for the TJ. I have noway of bending tube myself no the space to do it.
Good idea.

post #297 of 338 Old 01-05-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Since I won't be pulling the cage out to paint after I shot a quick coat of paint on the area behind the dash:

Using 1/4" scrap as a spacer for adequate weld to the slug:

Getting everything square:

post #298 of 338 Old 01-13-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I've been swamped with work and haven't had much time lately to work on my Jeep.

I tackled repairing the windshield. I made the choice to do the repair on the Jeep so that it's form would be held by the hinges. I uncrimped the bottom edge and cut out the old part of the windshield:

I cleaned up the inside with a wire brush:

I used body panel adhesive to install the new panel:

And recrimped using HVAC seamer pliers, and added a bunch of clamps to hold it while it cured:

I needed to use the windshield for mocking up the cage and then I will remove and paint it.

The windshield repair isn't perfect and did leave the bottom edge of the windshield with cosmetic imperfection on the outside. Overall though I am happy with it for a bandaid repair that should last me a few more years.

post #299 of 338 Old 03-07-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I have been terribly sidetracked again. A new TJ ended up coming into our lives, there was a road trip, unexpectedly going to King of the Hammers, and fixing broken parts. Let me get you guys back up to speed...

Mid-January I finished welding the roll cage. It took several attempts at alignment to get the door surrounds perfectly placed on the new tubes.

I love grab handles for getting into and out of the Jeep. When positioning them it is VERY important to place them rotated towards the inside of the Jeep. This way, in the event of a rollover, if a passenger grabs for them, their hand won't be crushed. After placing them, I notched and welded them into place.

I used seam sealer around where the feet are bolted to the tub floor to prevent water from collecting under the plates:

I notched the late model windshield trim to index around the rollcage:

Holes were then drilled to allow the factory rollcage padding to be held back in place:

I received a front 2" driveshaft from Tom Woods. However at full articulation it collides with the 42RLE transmission pan. I'm going to have to order a 1.25" front driveshaft instead and figure something else out since that small of a shaft won't work at high speeds. The transmission may be able to be shaved slightly:

At this point I got super distracted with a pretty khaki colored TJ on the west coast that went up for sale. I had been sortof keeping an eye open for a TJ for Mrs. Toximus as a daily driver mostly. The previous owner had done a great job selecting quality parts on this Jeep and it was mostly all built how I'd have done it, just a few small personal choice changes to make. So in the matter of less than a week Mrs Tox and I packed up and flew in to Portland to pick it up and drive home.

That was the plan anyway, then we figured we'd do a slight detour to visit Blaine and attend King of the Hammers. It was great seeing other rigs and I gained a few ideas that I will be incorporating into my red LJ build. It was also great meeting many guys from the forums (you know who you all are). After spending the week in the desert we drove across the country home.

And ever since then I have been going front to back on this new TJ to make sure everything is just so and dealing with lots and lots of snow.

post #300 of 338 Old 03-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
New TJ and King Of The Hammers....Life is good!!
arg0413 likes this.

BDS Springs, MetalCloak Arms, Fox Shocks, Warn Winch, Savvy Ft Bumper, Antirock, GenRight Fenders, GR8 Top, 35" Pittbulls, 5.13's, Revolution Axle Shafts, LS/6.0, 4L80e

'76 CJ-7, 33" Swampers, 6-Point Cage, 4-Speed, Dana 300 Twin Stick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in