858Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #811 of 829 Old 04-13-2021, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Latest update on the build.

b1bjetmech likes this.

Marcus:aka. Gojeep
Victoria, Australia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 829 Old 04-13-2021, 07:58 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I've coined a new term...Remarcusable!

Hoss
Gojeep, NashvilleTJ and underscore like this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #813 of 829 Old 04-13-2021, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
I've coined a new term...Remarcusable!

Hoss

Victoria, Australia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #814 of 829 Old 04-24-2021, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Stake pockets welded on. This is the cab end so you can see how the integrated end cap worked out.

Spot or resistance welded on except for the flange under the top roll. Holes had been punched in it and then plug welded closed.

The other end shows the 50mm-2" set back on the stake pocket so the tailgate can sit flush with the end of the bedsides over the floor.

The belled/dimple died holes are to give access under the rear guards to the shock and swaybar mounting bolts on the chassis. This way they can be changed out without removing the bedsides.

Making the front panel. I first turned the first and second folds. As with the second one, the third can't be folded all the way as it hits the side of the channel.

I squared up the edge of the top angle iron to get a matching radius on the fold. The flipped the panel over so I could then continue the fold hitting upwards the rest of the way.

It has taken three sheets of 1.2mm-18# CRS, (Cold Rolled Steel), to build the bed so far. Same gauge as stock. There is enough left over to make all the bottom skirts, steps and rear roll pan as well. The tailgate too if I use the original pressing and add new top and bottom rolls to it.

I'm liking the proportions very much so far.

Victoria, Australia

post #815 of 829 Old 04-24-2021, 07:54 AM
19GCTrailhawk

2019 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
I'm liking the proportions very much so far.
Me too!
That is so gorgeous.
Gojeep likes this.

2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7
Grand Cherokee Owner since 1994
post #816 of 829 Old 04-24-2021, 08:38 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

X3!

I've built a few 55-59 chev/GMCs, and the bed (though having beautiful lines) almost seems like an afterthought..
' well, we have a cab and front end, guess we'll put some sort of bed on it to finish it off ?!?'

Yours already ties in together so nicely, I can't wait to see the rest of the bed parts!

How are you all fairing nowadays Marcus... restrictions lifted? Vaccines?

Hoss
Gojeep likes this.

post #817 of 829 Old 04-24-2021, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19GCTrailhawk View Post
Me too!
That is so gorgeous.
Thank you.
Looks even better with the rear guard mocked up.

Quote:
X3!

I've built a few 55-59 chev/GMCs, and the bed (though having beautiful lines) almost seems like an afterthought..
' well, we have a cab and front end, guess we'll put some sort of bed on it to finish it off ?!?'

Yours already ties in together so nicely, I can't wait to see the rest of the bed parts!

How are you all fairing nowadays Marcus... restrictions lifted? Vaccines?

Hoss
We are doing really well here and had been 50 odd days since we had a case in our state. Often have days in the whole country, of nearly 26 million, with zero cases. Only have to deal with return travellers which must do 2 weeks in hotel quarantine, you must pay $3000 per couple, and then only released if negative. Only Australian citizens allowed to come in unless a special exception is made.
Until this week no Australians were even allowed to leave! This week we can travel to and from New Zealand which is also COVID free. We both have the occasional outbreak where a hotel quarantine worker might get it and spread it into the community which brings a 3-5 day full lockdown into force until they contact trace everyone in the area they may have exposed.
New strains are so contagious that people in the hotels have gotten it from people in the next room even without either leaving it! Not even allowed outside or open windows during your stay.
Very have only started rolling out the vaccines for health, frontline and quarantine workers. Also anyone in a high risk group plus over 70 year olds. Only just past the 1,000,000 doses so far with very few on their second dose. We make our own astrazeneca here but the pfizer must be imported. The latter is for use under the 50 year old only due to the blood clot risk of the other.
We will be breaking a world record today with over 85,000 attending a Aussie Rules game, the most everywhere since the pandemic started. Everything is open and masks only needed in hospitals and public transport now. We were wearing masks from July last year to March this year, in supermarkets, shopping centres etc. We had the lockdown in our state which lasted 4 months were we were wearing them everywhere outside the home, but got the rewards now.

Victoria, Australia

post #818 of 829 Old 04-28-2021, 07:18 PM
reddogf5

That is looking awesome! The only nit I see to pick is the window tint. I'm sure the UV protection is top notch, but the hue is not going to mesh with the paint job.
Gojeep and 19GCTrailhawk like this.
post #819 of 829 Old 04-28-2021, 08:23 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogf5 View Post
... The only nit I see to pick is the window tint. I'm sure the UV protection is top notch, but the hue is not going to mesh with the paint job.
To be fair, he hasn't absolutely decided on a color yet, so.....

Hoss
underscore likes this.

post #820 of 829 Old 04-29-2021, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogf5 View Post
That is looking awesome! The only nit I see to pick is the window tint. I'm sure the UV protection is top notch, but the hue is not going to mesh with the paint job.
Just need x-ray vision googles.
19GCTrailhawk likes this.

Victoria, Australia

post #821 of 829 Old 05-02-2021, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Gojeep

I have never been a fan of the stock Willys guards as the top looks too short compared to the length of the sides. A bit tent like.

I have moved it back 50mm-2" off centre to change the ratio of the gap between the back of the tyre and the top just to get an idea of how much I need to lengthen the top by. This would mean an overall increase in length of 100mm-4".

As you can see by the front guard, it has even more gap between the rear of the tyre compared to the top.

I used a profile gauge to see how much crown to wheel into the new top of the guard. Quite surprising as they actually look fairly flat. The crown gives it more strength and stops it looking like it belongs on a trailer!

To match the roll at the front I passed it through the wheel with the soft upper to get the start of the roll.

The rest of the roll was completed by levering it over the pipe stake you can see in the background. If the sheet was wider to give more leverage, I could have done the whole fold over it.

First time offering it up to the rest of the guard. This is without any hammer work at all. I am replacing the whole top section rather than just adding a narrow strip for the extra length. The reason is that the further away I have the two welds, the easier it is the control the distortion. Also it removes all the old cracks and previous repairs which all needed to be cut out and replaced as lots of fatigue and inconsistent shape.

Fully tig welded both ends on. Can really see how much longer it is now compared to the stock one. Can see also how that one has a twist it. Both had a lot of big dents and very twisted out of shape.

I think the proportions are much more pleasing now. This is not the final position it will be fitted at but does show what it will look like once the rear suspension is at the final height.

This is the stock mounting position for the guard. The rear suspension is sitting 50mm-2" higher though due to the lack of weight the bed has compared to the Grand Cherokee donor. I measured the compressed length of the coil before stripping the donor down. With these 190 lb constant rate springs means that over both of the coils it works out that there is 760 less pounds, 345 kg, than the wagon. Seems like a lot less but you have to remember that two rear doors and a hatch, rear seat, side windows, roof, and all the lining etc add up to a lot!

Can see the rake it has right now is a bit much. Think the front and rear guards match a bit better now though and the bed sides don't look so plain now.

Victoria, Australia

post #822 of 829 Old 05-02-2021, 09:04 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

As always, you are correct Marcus, and the proportions are much more pleasing and complementary!

Did they offer different rear spring weights for the Grands? Like towing package vs non?

Hoss
Gojeep likes this.

post #823 of 829 Old 05-02-2021, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Quote:
As always, you are correct Marcus, and the proportions are much more pleasing and complementary!

Did they offer different rear spring weights for the Grands? Like towing package vs non?

Hoss
Thanks mate though looking at that last picture I may have made it too long?
I threw a set of SRT Eibach lowering springs in the back but it lowered it 3" and way too low as still want a comfortable ride. Just trying my old rear springs from my KK Cherokee and that lowers it back down to stock height. I'll see what it looks like once back on the ground with the wheels on this morning.
Might just want something in between and what stock SRT coils ride at, but can't find any here.

Victoria, Australia

post #824 of 829 Old 05-02-2021, 07:41 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Too long? I think it will all depend on final ride height...

Have you measured (for example) front wheel center line to fender edge and compared that to back to get a similar proportion?

Hoss
Gojeep likes this.

post #825 of 829 Old 05-03-2021, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Gojeep

I wanted to get a better idea of close to final ride height. The centre coil is the stock Grand Cherokee donor one and had the rear sitting up 50mm-2" higher than stock due to so much less weight. On the right is a new Grand Cherokee SRT Eibach lowering coil that had it sitting 25mm-1" lower than stock. The only other spring I had on hand on the left was a stock rear coil spring from my KK Cherokee. Happened to have the same top and bottom coil size as the Grand Cherokee. When I fitted those it brought the back down to the stock donor height!

Just have the guard balanced on a block but gives a better idea of how the guard shape sits over the tyre.

This still leaves just under 25mm-1" of rake which is how I usually set my vehicles up. That way with the offroad camper trailer hitched and load it will sit level.

Victoria, Australia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in