GrandWillys Project - Page 43 - JeepForum.com
 628Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #631 of 671 Old 05-31-2020, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Gojeep

This is my actual license plate that I will be running on the Willys. I ordered these 2 days after I won the auction to buy the first Willys Truck back in 2007! Was a couple of months before I even got to see the Truck in the flesh for the first time, and 12 months before I brought it home. I wanted WILLYS but that was already taken, so we decided on WLLYS as was the closest. WILYS was also available, but thought people might think it was someone's name. I'd rather run no front plate but unfortunately have to. Which position do people prefer as we cannot decide?

Marcus:aka. Gojeep
Victoria, Australia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 671 Old 05-31-2020, 07:41 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Donít mount it underneath - it will get ripped off when you rock crawl the beast...

I agree with you on the need to have it there - seems like an afterthought in any of those places. Any way to recess it into the bumper? For me, the best place would be dead center, but then you would loose the Willyís logo there.
Gojeep likes this.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #633 of 671 Old 05-31-2020, 08:48 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I may be a bit biased, but even though a front plate is required here too as well, I don't run one on any of my vehicles (I hate how it detracts.

That said, I choose option 4.

(4 is where you Fab a mount for under the front bumper w/ a hinge set-up, where it can be down/ visible if you need it, but a quick push and it folds back and under/ out of the way, held up by a simple magnet or such, or even a small motorized unit!)

That way, when showing it or driving in a parade, it doesn't show. And if you ever do get pulled over for having no plate, you can claim the bracket 'brok/ bent' and tell the officer the story of how you built it all by hand, including the plate bracket, as you 'bend' it back into place (no way they write you a citation after that!)

Hoss
Gojeep and NashvilleTJ like this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement

post #634 of 671 Old 05-31-2020, 11:17 AM
jlcoble

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I agree I like options 4 something like the old school spring loaded ones they hid the gas cap behind I'm sure you can fab something up
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200531-121126_Chrome_1590945135114.jpg  
Gojeep likes this.

post #635 of 671 Old 05-31-2020, 02:34 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Of those options, I like 3 the best personally. Having the plate hanging as the lowest point on the front end always make it look like a weird afterthought to me, though I may be alone in that seeing as some vehicles come from the factory like that.
Gojeep likes this.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #636 of 671 Old 05-31-2020, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Factory is above on the drivers side.
If going underneath, it would be a hinged mount for sure. Was thinking of a spring too, but then again, if it blows back under speed and the speed camera can't see it, doesn't sound too bad.
JoonHoss and underscore like this.

Victoria, Australia

post #637 of 671 Old 06-02-2020, 06:47 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It has to be this option 4 that everyone is talking about so it can be hidden when it isn't necessary. Can't you just set it on the dash when you are driving?

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
post #638 of 671 Old 06-02-2020, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

I just made a bracket for the offset front. I'm not concerned about taking it off for shows. People here pinch plates so they can do drive offs without paying for their gas!

Victoria, Australia

post #639 of 671 Old 06-06-2020, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Well you can see the Ankor wax is doing a great job! As winter has started here, the cold nights with no wind causes condensation to drip off where the clear roofing is.

Going to tackle fixing the rust pitting. The rust has already been treated but has turned black from the lanolin oil mixed with dust over the years. I can't just grind this down as the pitting is deeper than it looks and has it on the top side near the same spot too!

Being a Wagon bumper, this has rusted where the corner piece bolts on over the top of this.

I will fix every gouge and stone chip on the whole bar.

I'm using my TIG for all this as I want to keep it soft so it doesn't stay proud from being hard when I get down to fine sanding and polishing. Just using some 1.2mm mig wire as the TIG filler, or even a coat hanger for the bigger deeper pits!

After filling every rust pit I carefully ground and sanded the welds smooth keeping the original bumper thickness. Looks fine but can see the profile has flattened from the welding heat. The old DD hammer on the bench will be used to stretch the area back out again.

Used a profile gauge to make sure the shape was back again and then carefully filed just enough to show the low spots that you can see. These were then hammered up until all gone rather than just keep filing.

Where I had filled the rust pitting on the flanges, I used the long board sander to show any low spots. Can see one of the dull spots above the marker. I mark the spot so when I flip it over I know exactly where to hit the dent up.

Using a 7" disc sander and going through the grades I have removed most of the chrome but there is still a lot of nickel left. Even though it was OEM, there was no copper under that.

Can see the profile is much rounder in the welded area now, like the rest of the bar, than before the stretching was done. This is far enough now to show me I have hammered out all the dents and filled the chips and scratch damage gathered in the last 70 years! The big dents I hammered out already a number of years ago.

I drilled out the original mounting holes to take the front parking sensors. I removed the holders from the trashed donor bumper 10 years ago. This one was is damaged though so wouldn't mind some more if anyone has a 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee with a damaged bumper. I can not find anywhere that sell the holders separately for the front of the Jeep. To the left of the sensor is where I repaired the rust damage and has come up fairly well.

The rear sensors are chrome so will use those on the front bumper so it blends in better. Just need to get a couple more as there are only 4 sensors on the back and 6 on the front.

Has always annoyed me that the 'I' wasn't dotted!

So I put some conveyor rubber over the top of a matching crown stake and hammered the punch into the surface. I then hammered around the dot using the drilled rod from the back so only the dot was sunk in. Hammering the punch directly over the drilled rod from the start would have been better, but keeping it balanced in the right spot was too hard to do on my own.

Whipped up a licence plate holder out of some 3mm-1/8" plate and bent the tab in my press.

The thickness allowed me to drill and tap the holes for the button head retaining screws which were sanded flush at the back. The rear plate I had ordered full size.

I decided on fitting it in the factory drivers side position. Held in place with some Holden HQ bumper bar bolts.

I'm wondering if to buy some stainless plate and remake it. Worried stones coming off the tyres will chip it badly.

Bumper now finished and have just dropped it off at the chromers. They said all my repairs and preparation means no extra cost to get the chroming redone.

Victoria, Australia

post #640 of 671 Old 06-08-2020, 06:47 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Bumper now finished and have just dropped it off at the chromers. They said all my repairs and preparation means no extra cost to get the chroming redone.
I am sure the chromers loved getting something from you. You have already done all the work for them. Fantastic work as always.
Gojeep likes this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
post #641 of 671 Old 06-08-2020, 08:09 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

The dot on the i brings it all together. The total front end package really looks good, Marcus.
Gojeep likes this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #642 of 671 Old 06-08-2020, 09:04 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
The dot on the i brings it all together. The total front end package really looks good, Marcus.
I missed that... lol
Gojeep likes this.

YJOTM August 19
post #643 of 671 Old 06-08-2020, 09:28 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I get so caught up in the metalwork artistry that I forget how technologically advanced this build will be.

Hoss
Gojeep likes this.

post #644 of 671 Old 06-08-2020, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Thank you for all the comments guys. Brings a smile to my face reading them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
I get so caught up in the metalwork artistry that I forget how technologically advanced this build will be.

Hoss
Wont be too many 1948 pickups trucks with front and rear parking sensors!

Victoria, Australia

post #645 of 671 Old 06-08-2020, 07:05 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post

Wont be too many 1948 pickups trucks with front and rear parking sensors!
I think my grandfather used to say he had a set in his '48, back in '48.

(pretty sure he was referring to my grandmother!)

Hoss
Gojeep and underscore like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in