GrandWillys Project - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
 576Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #541 of 638 Old 04-04-2020, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

I don't think I like the way it is looking! The grille slots maybe too tall and Kenworth Truck like? Looks a little vacant or naked?

Even one doesn't help even once extended to across all slots like stock.

Three is what came on my 58 donor Willys. Obviously the top bar sits a bit higher than this.

Five is what the 52 grille that makes up part of the panels had. Maybe too busy?

Maybe I should be different and do four which none of the models had? It is Lisa's favorite and don't mind it myself. All bars would be made to cover all the grille slots and the spacing would end up slightly wider once the top is in its correct position. Thoughts?

Or I am now thinking of cutting up the grille and reducing the height of the slots back to stock height and adding the 50mm-2" instead below the slots so it matches the distance between the slots and the top of the grille!

Marcus:aka. Gojeep
Victoria, Australia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 638 Old 04-05-2020, 08:12 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

GrandWillys Project

It is a little Kenworth-looking with nothing, but I kind of like it. 3 bars looks like a mouth, 1 gets lost in the grill, and I agree with you that 5 is too busy. All that to say that with the current grill, I think I like 4 bars as well.
Gojeep likes this.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #543 of 638 Old 04-05-2020, 10:34 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I think

1. It will make a big difference look-wise once they are the right width. It will change the proportions, and take some of the 'height' out of the current grill.

2. You might even consider going slightly wider than stock.

3. The correct location of the top and bottom bar will make a difference on 'the look' as well.

4. What are the plans for the horizontal bars? Painted the same as truck?or chromed brightwork.

Without any of these answers, my gut tells me that once the grill is painted, 4 or 5 chromed crossbars is really going to work nicely. It will take away the squareness, the visual height, and the overall busy look.

Again, JMHO!

Hoss
Gojeep likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement

post #544 of 638 Old 04-05-2020, 11:34 AM
jlcoble

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I like the 4 imo it will look good once you move the top one up and evenly space them
Gojeep likes this.
post #545 of 638 Old 04-05-2020, 03:56 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

I like the 4 bars. One other idea is just the middle 3 bars evenly spaced? Similar to picture #4, but without the top and bottom bars.
Gojeep likes this.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #546 of 638 Old 04-05-2020, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
All that for a little extra downforce at the track, eh?

That looks great, Marcus. Are you all sheltering in place down under?
Thanks mate. We are in what is called stage 3 lockdown, so no restaurants, clubs, churches etc. Only takeaway. Only allowed to leave home for food and exercise, maximum 1 hr a day. No visiting at all unless caring for someone. No sports etc. Essential workers only. No crossing state borders unless for freight.
Seems to be working as we peaked at a 100 new cases a day in our state and last 3 days it has been dropping to now only 20. Nationwide only 37 deaths with all but 2 cases in over 70's with existing illness.
Not bad stats as we have to same land area as the US lower 48 but only have 25.5 million people.
Compared to your 331 million, we are doing alright on a population ratio.

Victoria, Australia

post #547 of 638 Old 04-05-2020, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
I think

1. It will make a big difference look-wise once they are the right width. It will change the proportions, and take some of the 'height' out of the current grill.

2. You might even consider going slightly wider than stock.

3. The correct location of the top and bottom bar will make a difference on 'the look' as well.

4. What are the plans for the horizontal bars? Painted the same as truck?or chromed brightwork.

Without any of these answers, my gut tells me that once the grill is painted, 4 or 5 chromed crossbars is really going to work nicely. It will take away the squareness, the visual height, and the overall busy look.

Again, JMHO!

Hoss
Grille is already 9" wider than stock and has two extra slots in that.
Not sure on chrome or painted black bars maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I like the 4 bars. One other idea is just the middle 3 bars evenly spaced? Similar to picture #4, but without the top and bottom bars.
Have not tried that and would at least show the ends of the slots which I think is the most iconic thing for a Jeep to have!

Victoria, Australia

post #548 of 638 Old 04-05-2020, 07:27 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Grille is already 9" wider than stock and has two extra slots in that.
Not sure on chrome or painted black bars maybe!
Sorry, I was unclear, I was thinking perhaps you could extend the horizontal bars wider, not just to accommodate for the extra grill width, but perhaps even slightly wider, which would make the grill appear lower/ narrower.

I really think with chrome bumpers you should have chrome crossbar on the grill as well. That's what makes it classic!

That said, the black would basically accomplish the same thing, breaking up the vertical slots of the grill. It would just do it by providing a 'negative space' against the grill (being black) as opposed to the chrome, which would make the vertical bars 'disappear' behind them.

Hoss
Gojeep likes this.

post #549 of 638 Old 04-06-2020, 07:43 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Initially, just based on looking at the pictures, I like 4 horizontal bars. JoonHoss makes some very good points. It now becomes difficult to make that decision right now. You almost have to see the grill in paint and the cross bars mocked up in their final finish to really grasp the look.
Gojeep and JoonHoss like this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
post #550 of 638 Old 04-06-2020, 11:48 AM
99sajeep

2005 WK 

In the search for opinions, I like the grill without any cross bars on it. I think it looks good being simple and open. The cross bars make it look too busy in my mind. Just my $.02...
Gojeep likes this.

'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 200k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)
post #551 of 638 Old 04-06-2020, 12:19 PM
olmoggy1

1937 CJ2A 

Id like to see the 4 with a bulldog hood ornament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gojeep likes this.
post #552 of 638 Old 04-06-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

I have started to cut the extra 2" out of the slots length and then will add sheet below them to make up the space. Grille edge to start of slots will be the same as at the top. I can then raise the tray and bumper height in front of this, effectively shorting the grille, until I get the right balance. I'll give that a go first as prefer the exposed slots look most over the added bars. Just ordered some black metal mesh to go behind it as well.
JoonHoss and underscore like this.

Victoria, Australia

post #553 of 638 Old 04-06-2020, 07:36 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I know whatever you decide will be amazing, as per the usual.

I think it's tough to envision what the finished product will look like in this case because of the absence of contrast between the vertical and horizontal bars both being 'bare' metal.

In the pic below, you can see how the top (blue) has same color vertical and horizontal bars. Not a great look, in m opinion.

Take a look at that second one... man, same bars, same location, but the just POP on that beauty!

Like I said though, whatever you decide, it will be stunning for sure!

Hoss

post #554 of 638 Old 04-07-2020, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
I know whatever you decide will be amazing, as per the usual.

I think it's tough to envision what the finished product will look like in this case because of the absence of contrast between the vertical and horizontal bars both being 'bare' metal.

In the pic below, you can see how the top (blue) has same color vertical and horizontal bars. Not a great look, in m opinion.

Take a look at that second one... man, same bars, same location, but the just POP on that beauty!

Like I said though, whatever you decide, it will be stunning for sure!

Hoss
Pictures are not showing mate.

Victoria, Australia

post #555 of 638 Old 04-07-2020, 04:54 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Pictures are not showing mate.
It's a new pic I uploaded, I think the admins have to approve it first

(For what it's worth, I can see it in both posts?!?!)

Hoss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in