GrandWillys Project - Page 34 - JeepForum.com
 628Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #496 of 671 Old 02-05-2020, 02:28 PM
TomParham

I enjoyed reading about the history of Jeeps in Australia. I went on a trip to London and Paris in 2007. Meet a man in the tour group from New Zealand. He was 82 years old and showed me a picture of his new Ford Mustang. When I told him about my Willys truck I was starting on he said he had a Willys Whippet. I did not know Willys made these.

Gojeep likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 671 Old 02-12-2020, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Still working away but not doing anything picture worthy right now with sorting wiring etc.
On other thoughts, my wife and I saw Tank green, as first offered on the 2015 Willys Edition of the JK, in the flesh for the first time and really think it could suit the utilitarian theme I have always been going for. Gives a bit of heritage flavour as well. I would run it with black painted guards to break up the colour a bit and keep the 30-40's look as well.

Much like it is above with the black flares. Maybe could even do the grille black too? Or just the centre section like it was stock?

I have been told a lot to leave it unpainted to show the metal work but not very practical though as even a clear will not seal it properly. But thought it might be a good idea to now complete it and get my engineer's approval and road registered before paint. Then for the summer at least, run it without paint to make sure everything is perfect before stripping it down to be painted.

The other recent colour was a burgundy and black, but might be too classy a colour for the Truck my wife feels and think she could be right.

Marcus:aka. Gojeep
Victoria, Australia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #498 of 671 Old 02-12-2020, 06:33 PM
Bong_Holyeo

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
The other recent colour was a burgundy and black, but might be too classy a colour for the Truck my wife feels and think she could be right.
I like the burgundy idea, but maybe burgundy and light tan two tone. That truck is classy as it comes.
Gojeep likes this.

April 2018 YJOTM
June 2019 YJOTM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #499 of 671 Old 02-13-2020, 06:06 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I think the Tank Green is a bit too plain for your Jeep. The tone is fine, but maybe you could bump it up a pit with some flakes or pearl. Your Jeep is built to such a level that it deserves something a little less plain.
Gojeep, JoonHoss and underscore like this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
post #500 of 671 Old 02-13-2020, 09:04 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Markus

I'll offer my humble opinion, but only because you ask.

I agree that a vehicle of this quality and age deserves a color which is 'Age appropriate', that is, it can't be a new super metallic or shade which didn't exist in the 40's. It just wouldn't look right.

Now then, that said, I actually feel the same about adding/ using black and or black trim. A little bit is fine, as an accent, but the black actually takes away from the look and finish of a vehicle.

Yours deserve to have some shiny bits, like grill bars, door handles, etc. Black is fine for some stuff, but be sure to include a bit of jewelry.

Now then (again) as for color, I'm probably in the minority here, but I've never liked olive drab or its variants on anything other than a flat military vehicle. Yours deserves a timeless shade, and I like a couple of the more originally posted colors, closer to a brown or bronze, or even grey, than the green tone.

In the end, the ONLY person who needs to be happy and approve is your wife

(Ok, you should proabably be happy as well)

(Married 25 years now myself!)

Hoss
underscore likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #501 of 671 Old 02-13-2020, 10:06 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Iím thinking a gun-metal grey...

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #502 of 671 Old 02-13-2020, 12:07 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Maybe the "Mineral Grey Metallic" gunmetal off the WK, it has a bit of sparkle so it pops in the sun but isn't too crazy? Or the Tank Green with a similar bit of sparkle added (I think "Jeep Green Metallic" off the WK as well is pretty close?). I imagine it's possible to photoshop the truck a few different colours to see what you like.
Gojeep likes this.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #503 of 671 Old 02-15-2020, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Gojeep

This gives you an idea how a Willys Truck looks like with the guards painted black.

I do like though the burgundy and black like this Chevy Fleetmaster which is of the similar era. Maybe not too classy a colour after all!

Maybe a modern take of this 1952 Willys Wagon colour called Smoked Ruby. I do like this as is a true burgundy which is red mixed with purple rather than maroon which is red mixed with brown.

This Holden bodied 1936 Willys Sedan shows how a modern colour with black guards would look.

When I saw a Mustang with this colour drive past, I just loved it! Called Royal Crimson and was a 2018 only colour.

Now I am at an impasse!
07wurubi and underscore like this.

Victoria, Australia

post #504 of 671 Old 02-15-2020, 10:17 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I love the '52 shade of smoked ruby, but again, I like the old solid classic colors.

That's said, the mustang color is a nicely updated similar shade, and your metal work is most certainly worthy of something that nice!

Hoss
Gojeep likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #505 of 671 Old 02-15-2020, 11:55 AM
Wrangler266

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You Willy's is a custom build, so go nuts with a modern colour like the Royal Crimson colour. That's bang on dude!
Gojeep, JoonHoss and underscore like this.
post #506 of 671 Old 02-15-2020, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Wanted to see what the wheels and tyres looked like with the bonnet back on.

Think the proportions are looking alright. Wouldn't mind some SRT coils though to drop it an inch.

Engine loom was left on so starting with the chassis wiring.

Would have been easier if I could place everything where it was on the donor but the suspension towers are 7" further forward and the engine bay tapers to the grille also. These are the mounting brackets I made for the two fuse boxes to clip into.

Horn is from a WWII Chevy Bitz Truck. Very loud as running at 12 volts instead of 6 volt. Can see I have made a start on the intake ducting which is all 90mm/3.5".

Been waiting for the battery to come on special and saved $116! DIN75LH MF with 910 CCA, 180RC and 90AH.

Plenty of terminal clearance to the underside of the floor. Terminals are recessed too. The clamping system works really well and it is very solid.

Had a lot of trouble finding a OEM washer and big enough radiator recovery bottles. These came from a V8 Ford Explorer and were one unit. I bought two so I could separate them and mount off the joining webs as didn't fit otherwise. I noticed that OEM always placed the radiator recovery bottle near the height of the radiator cap, so did the same.

I would like to introduce my new garage buddy who was exploring the workshop for the first time. We called her Noski which mean 'socks' in Russian which I thought was fitting. Our last cat recently passed at 15+ years old and was also a rescue cat.

Victoria, Australia

post #507 of 671 Old 02-15-2020, 09:07 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Noski looks like a cool cat, and is kind of colored Gun Metal Gray.

I rest my case.
Gojeep and underscore like this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #508 of 671 Old 02-19-2020, 04:08 PM
MudNtrucks
1978 CJ7 

Sweet!
Gojeep likes this.
post #509 of 671 Old 02-20-2020, 04:11 PM
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I guess Iím a little late to the color game, but I love that Smokey Ruby. To me it looks nice and has that older feel to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Gojeep likes this.

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Silver XJ, 4.0, AW4 with 350k+, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromos, Trussed hp30, 4.56's, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's
post #510 of 671 Old 02-21-2020, 01:42 PM
socalsean

That looks amazing. Awesome build!
Gojeep likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in