GrandWillys Project - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
 361Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #316 of 472 Old 02-20-2019, 07:12 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Good to have you back. Fantastic work as always.

Gojeep likes this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #317 of 472 Old 02-20-2019, 07:22 AM
ZEN357

Absolutely Amazing!!!!!! Awesome Job!!!!
Gojeep likes this.
post #318 of 472 Old 02-20-2019, 01:44 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

That may have been a small update, but it looked like a lot of work.. Those fenders turned out beautifully.
Gojeep likes this.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #319 of 472 Old 02-22-2019, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Many thanks for the interest guys.

Marcus:aka. Gojeep
Victoria, Australia

post #320 of 472 Old 02-23-2019, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Gojeep

So this grille I had already added two extra grille slots too making it 130mm/5" wider than stock. But the firewall is 230mm/9" wider so adding the rest between the headlights and the grille.

Tacked on the 50mm/2" wider strip for a look, but looks rather 'tacked' on rather than a factory look and a bit unbalanced between the headlight and the grille.

Then I thought maybe adding a bead the same width as the ones in the doors might help. It will end up in the middle between the edge of the headlight trim and the side of the grille.

The ends of the beads were quite distorted so the rusty bit of 3/4" water pipe fixed it. Lined up the ends of the pipe up with the mark where I stopped the beads and gave it a good hard whack while it was clamped down to the bench.

Think that works for me at least.

Planished the weld out to stretch the shrinkage from the weld over one of my home made stakes.

This time I removed the weld through coating this strip of steel had before wheeling it and then running the bead. Looks polished!

Just using a tiny bit of 0.9mm/.035 mig wire while fuse welding so the weld will disappear afterwards without thinning the metal. Very little to grind and even less after the first planishing straight after welding and before grinding.

Back together again 230mm/9" wider than stock.

First time I have seen the grille bolted to the guards in 10 years!

Bit of an idea what it will look like once the bonnet is made for it.

I did wonder what it would look like tilted back like the JK's have, but not a fan of the look on this.
99sajeep likes this.

Victoria, Australia

post #321 of 472 Old 02-23-2019, 09:59 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Nice. That level of metal working is like voodoo to me. If itís not thick enough to straighten with a sledge hammer, Iím lost...

That did turn out well. It should look balanced with the headlights installed.
Gojeep and underscore like this.

Build Thread:

post #322 of 472 Old 02-23-2019, 06:21 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Nicely done!

And agreed, it has to be dead vertical, no angle.

Keep up the great work, my good man!

Hoss
Gojeep likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #323 of 472 Old 02-24-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Nice. That level of metal working is like voodoo to me. If it’s not thick enough to straighten with a sledge hammer, I’m lost...

That did turn out well. It should look balanced with the headlights installed.
I was like that too as I was a blacksmith and then worked in the structural steel trade. Really had to turn down the force for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Nicely done!

And agreed, it has to be dead vertical, no angle.

Keep up the great work, my good man!

Hoss
Many thanks Hoss.

Victoria, Australia

post #324 of 472 Old 02-25-2019, 08:31 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have been playing with thinner metal myself quite a bit lately. That makes me appreciate your work that much more. I have done some rocker panels and cab corners and felt pretty good about my skills... until I got to the bed sides. I have a lot of learning to do. Of course I am working on the bed side of a truck. It is such a large area that distortion shows itself very easily. I have been enjoying the process and your work has certainly inspired me.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
post #325 of 472 Old 02-26-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
I have been playing with thinner metal myself quite a bit lately. That makes me appreciate your work that much more. I have done some rocker panels and cab corners and felt pretty good about my skills... until I got to the bed sides. I have a lot of learning to do. Of course I am working on the bed side of a truck. It is such a large area that distortion shows itself very easily. I have been enjoying the process and your work has certainly inspired me.
Bed sides will be a challenge for sure. Mine were beyond repair so not sure which way I will go with that yet. Build new from scratch or maybe early Chev bed sides the same as what was on these originally. Even toyed with the idea of using a repro Bantum trailer or similar for the bed.

Victoria, Australia

post #326 of 472 Old 03-09-2019, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Not much to show this week as low crown panels are much more work!

I got the other side piece welded on. I also placed the radiator in place to see how it all would fit.

The filler neck unfortunately just comes under the dropped part of the bonnet. The power steering reservoir is under the taller middle section however.

Hangs down 40mm/1.5" below the grille so would like to raise it to level.

I can see two ways to get the filler into the taller section. Cut it halfway between the tank and the filler and then clamp in between a 90* silicone hose to get it over near the fan. The other way would be to run a plumbers threading tap inside the tank side and screw in a plug to seal it up. Then get an inline filler for the top radiator hose.

If the power steering reservoir is too high it just slides off and could be fitted lower or somewhere else. It also supplies the hydraulically driven engine fan which I hope to keep so it all matches the original cooling system for this drivetrain.

Bonnet had a bad dip in it but slowly getting it into shape. Should be a bit easier once the side piece is welded on giving it support.

Dip is gone but still have a lot of finessing to go if you look at the reflection. Slowly but surely it will get there in the end.
99sajeep, RedJeepster1 and acabtp like this.

Victoria, Australia

post #327 of 472 Old 03-09-2019, 09:52 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Coming along nicely. Great to see how it looks with most of the front end together. Very well balanced with the work you did on the grill.
Gojeep likes this.

Build Thread:

post #328 of 472 Old 03-09-2019, 10:13 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Agreed, beautiful!

I wasn't sure about the raised grill panel extension section, but it's coming together quite well!

Hoss
Gojeep likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #329 of 472 Old 03-11-2019, 11:13 AM
mikeyboat
1979 CJ7 

Good to see you back at it Marcus. Beautiful work as always, thanks for sharing it
Gojeep likes this.
post #330 of 472 Old 03-12-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Gojeep

Many thanks for the interest guys.

Victoria, Australia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in