Goob's "Hell on Wheels" YJ Build - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #781 of 805 Old 07-13-2020, 09:17 AM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Hey Goob... Good to hear from you again.

Mud is bad... stay out of the mud and you won't have those problems.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 805 Old 07-13-2020, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
The_Goob
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
Hey Goob... Good to hear from you again.

Mud is bad... stay out of the mud and you won't have those problems.
You too. yep im still around. Bought a new house, renting old one, got divorced finally lol
Been really busy. Im planning a black hills jeep trip next month the week after sturgis, pretty excited for that

And hey sometimes around here mud is all there is to wheel in haha

YJoTM~April '14~June '15~April '17
post #783 of 805 Old 07-14-2020, 04:46 AM
Franz At

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
You too. yep im still around. Bought a new house, renting old one, got divorced finally lol
Been really busy. Im planning a black hills jeep trip next month the week after sturgis, pretty excited for that

And hey sometimes around here mud is all there is to wheel in haha
I found it funny that you are happy when you got divorced. I can feel you man.

post #784 of 805 Old 07-14-2020, 11:44 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Dan, good to see you around.

post #785 of 805 Old 07-14-2020, 08:48 PM
Louie4
Web Wheeler

1935 CJ2A 

Welcome back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #786 of 805 Old 07-19-2020, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
The_Goob
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz At View Post
I found it funny that you are happy when you got divorced. I can feel you man.
What can I say she was a ***** and it was a long 16 years haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Hey Dan, good to see you around.
You too friend, long time no chat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Welcome back.
Hey Louie, thanks.

post #787 of 805 Old 07-19-2020, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
The_Goob
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
So I just tore the old girl down to do the rear main seal and working on wiring new winch. Of course I get done and still have a drip, ugh. Oh well. maybe its just leftover oil in the bellhousing haha, it was leaking for like 2 years.

I was going to relocate the winch control box under the hood so its not blocking airflow to my radiator but thats gonna cost a few bucks in extra cables since the ones that come with arent long enough for that. For now I threw the box on top of the winch and been driving around to see if it gets hot. stayed right at 210 yesterday and it was 94 out, i was doing 65. so maybe it will be fine
daddyjeep87 likes this.

post #788 of 805 Old 07-21-2020, 12:24 PM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Just finished reading your entire thread. Lots of similar things i have done and plan on doing. I really dig the islander decals. I also understand the nerve pain and understand its a constant struggle. I am glad you never gave in and sold the Jeep. Congrats on your divorce, I too know the excitement of that feeling! Looking forward to what you have planned next.

post #789 of 805 Old 07-21-2020, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
The_Goob
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
Just finished reading your entire thread. Lots of similar things i have done and plan on doing. I really dig the islander decals. I also understand the nerve pain and understand its a constant struggle. I am glad you never gave in and sold the Jeep. Congrats on your divorce, I too know the excitement of that feeling! Looking forward to what you have planned next.
Thanks, Glad to hear people still read this old thread. I dont have huge plans for the jeep honestly, I want 5.13 gears at some point but I can never make up my mind on axle. Like I want to upgrade the dana 30 but I feel a front 44 is a waste of money its like a sidegrade, I can never find the right 60. I thought about making my own front 9" diff I have seen it done a few times.
Got a few more goodies to add to the cage I never even posted the frame tie ins and stuff I did.

post #790 of 805 Old 07-22-2020, 06:16 AM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
Thanks, Glad to hear people still read this old thread. I dont have huge plans for the jeep honestly, I want 5.13 gears at some point but I can never make up my mind on axle. Like I want to upgrade the dana 30 but I feel a front 44 is a waste of money its like a sidegrade, I can never find the right 60. I thought about making my own front 9" diff I have seen it done a few times.
Got a few more goodies to add to the cage I never even posted the frame tie ins and stuff I did.
I have a set of Superduty axles that I am putting under mine. I was really close to cutting up the 60 to build a front 9" because I have always wanted to build one. I just couldn't justify it. The 60 isn't that much heavier than my 9" would end up. It would just be a lot of work and a lot of money just to have a "cool" front axle. A high pinion center section alone is bunches of money. Then you would need a 35 spline locker for the 9" which limits your options and again gets pricey. I was going to build it to use the SD shafts at least so custom shafts wouldn't be necessary. Had I ended up with a Dana 50 instead of a 60, my decision would have been different.

As far as the Dana 44 goes... I have to agree with you on a sidegrade. Mine is definitely my weak link at the moment, I have broken one stub shaft so far this year. You could always dump a bunch of money into RCVs, but that money would be better spent on a better axle.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

post #791 of 805 Old 07-22-2020, 06:26 AM
stephnburnsz

Looks great! Nice Jeep.
post #792 of 805 Old 07-22-2020, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
The_Goob
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
I have a set of Superduty axles that I am putting under mine. I was really close to cutting up the 60 to build a front 9" because I have always wanted to build one. I just couldn't justify it. The 60 isn't that much heavier than my 9" would end up. It would just be a lot of work and a lot of money just to have a "cool" front axle. A high pinion center section alone is bunches of money. Then you would need a 35 spline locker for the 9" which limits your options and again gets pricey. I was going to build it to use the SD shafts at least so custom shafts wouldn't be necessary. Had I ended up with a Dana 50 instead of a 60, my decision would have been different.

As far as the Dana 44 goes... I have to agree with you on a sidegrade. Mine is definitely my weak link at the moment, I have broken one stub shaft so far this year. You could always dump a bunch of money into RCVs, but that money would be better spent on a better axle.
I know a guy who did this for his JK and then was sourcing a bunch of sets of those super duty axles for other people. I just dont know much about them honestly. Is there crap in the way to where leafs are out of the question on them?
I see ecgs has these dana 489 for yj front which looks like a jk 44 pretty much so not much of an upgrade either for the price

post #793 of 805 Old 07-23-2020, 06:23 AM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I am not entirely sure what is needed for leaf springs. I will definitely need to modify mine for link mounts. Some of the casting will need trimmed off on the drivers' side. The older 99-04 trucks had leaf springs so they may work out fine.

post #794 of 805 Old 07-23-2020, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
The_Goob
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yeah I should look into it because at least those are easy to find. I can find rear axles all day but never a good front. I still have a 1982 j20 Dana 44 that I decided not to waste the money on. Not much an upgrade and replacement shafts would be really hard to find, its 4 wider than wagoneer 44

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #795 of 805 Old 08-15-2020, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
The_Goob
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Goob's "Hell on Wheels" YJ Build

Tags
build , islander , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in