FalloutMaster's Purple TJ build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-16-2020, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
FalloutMaster

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
FalloutMaster's Purple TJ build

So here's my "better late than never" build thread. Been meaning to do this for a while seeing as I bought the Jeep back in 2014, but never had the time to go through and organize all the old pics until recently. I've since swapped out the rear end, replaced both bumpers, 4 inch savvy lift, and redone the interior as well as a bunch of other minor projects, replacing exhaust and fixing things. Had to replace the clutch but never took any pictures as I was in a rush, lots of maintenance as expected on. Spent a lot of time ironing out the kinks over the past 6 years but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and learned a lot along the way. First picture is the day I bought it. You can see my old Tacoma glaring at me in the background.
------------------------------------------

Little bit of rain on it next day.

Some light flex action to test it out

Not too rusty underneath

First project was removing the flares to refinish them with bedliner since they were so faded and rough looking. I ended up trimming them off as well for extra clearance and a better look. I also installed these OR Fab rocker gaurds

"I'm just here for the gasoline"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-16-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
FalloutMaster

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Started getting all the parts together for the lift, starting with the new rear end. I went with an 8.8 build from ECGS. Also some fresh 33x12.5R15 MT/Rs. I ended up going with the Savvy 4 inch short arm lift as it seemed to fit my needs the best

First step was installing the Slip Yoke Eliminator from Advance Adapters. This ended up being easier than I thought

Next was the lift. You can see my old spacer lift in the first picture. I had the front axle re-geared by a local shop

New extended brake lines

Control arms, springs and shocks installed in the front

And the new 1 ton steering from Currie installed completes the front and on to the rear end

Positioning the new axle was very tricky. The 8.8 being such heavy axle with an offset pinion made it hard to balance on the sketchy 20 year old craftsman floor jack. We ended up having one person move the jack and two others holding the axle on, it was a bit gruelling. I ended up just connecting the sway bar links and leaving it until the next day.

Finishing it up was pretty simple, just connecting rear control arms and putting springs in, and then installing the AntiRock. I was pretty stoked to finish it up! The Savvy suspension handles great. Jeep was finally starting to feel like a real project now.

post #3 of 9 Old 09-16-2020, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
FalloutMaster

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quick change of the diff oils after break in and it was ready for some wheeling

Testing out the articultion of the new suspension, I was feeling pretty good about spending the money on the Savvy suspension and the Fox shocks after feeling how they handle offroad. The Jeep felt really capable on 33's

Mall Crawling

Next was replacing the sloppy old steering gearbox. The pitman arm was rusted on and required a lot of PB blaster, a torch and some hammering to get off. You can see it bending my pitman arm puller it was so stuck The new RedHead Steering box is a nice upgrade but I had some issues, first two units sent out to me were leaking and had to be sent back. Frustrating job to do 3 times, but the one thats in it now has been going strong for 3 years.

Quick trip to the rocks to test the steering

New Poison Spyder front bumper install as well as the steering box skid. Local company powdercoated both for $60 and did a bang up job!

More lame mall crawling flex

One of my rear shocks over extended a bit on a Crown King trip and blew the lower seal out, also ripped one of the rear UCA mounts off the frame which had to be welded back on; I later built some reinforcements for those mounts with some bar steel. The shock been leaking oil ever since, been too lazy to do anything about it. It's gonna need some limiting straps and a new shock.

Last edited by FalloutMaster; 09-18-2020 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added info

post #4 of 9 Old 09-16-2020, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
FalloutMaster

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Had some issues with overheating and got stuck in a walmart parking lot. I had bypassed the heater core since it was leaking and the cheap plastic fitting I used to make the bypass cracked in the heat.

One of many trips to Crown King. I never take a lot of pictures or videos when wheeling sadly since I dont have a large group of people to wheel with. The Purple People Eater ran every obstacle on the trail no problem.

Hit a creek on the way back down, too cold to swim

Clean up at the DIY coin op pressure washers.

Next I dropped the tank to install a Savvy aluminum gas tank skid, but I can't find the pictures of the Skid installed for some reason. Ended up replacing the fuel pump as well.

I ended up breaking one of the LCA mounts in the front. I bought these new 1/4" thick ones from Artec, one of my first welding projects, a little sloppy but they've held after all this time. Cutting the brackets off with an angle grinder took a few hours

Proceeded to get the Jeep stuck first time wheeling after the new LCA mounts

This whole area fills with water during the monsoons, so this mud is very thick and full of sediment.

post #5 of 9 Old 09-16-2020, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
FalloutMaster

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Next was replacing the heater core, 1 cold winter was enough for me. I ended up suspending the dash to the roll cage using some tie down straps to avoid removing the steering wheel, worked pretty well. Old heater core was in bad shape. Around this time I installed the new carpet and heat shielding in the front as well as some junkyard seats from a ZJ since mine were ripped. I also cut the stock center console in half at the cup hoders and carpeted the tranny tunnel, I prefer the more open cab area and the look of the full shifter cane

You can kind of see on the left here, I bought an extended Transfer case shift handle from a guy on the forums here and installed an old shift knob taken from an army Jeep my dad had kept from his time as an Army mechanic.

Friend of mine's F150 got in a wreck and he gave me the old Daylighters that were on the front bumper. I ended up fixing them and mounting them up, I really dig the vintage style lights

Unstucking a stuck 4Runner

post #6 of 9 Old 09-16-2020, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
FalloutMaster

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Next was redoing the cooling system. I also decided to replace the front main seal as it was leaking badly. Took me a good hour to scrape and clean all the oily dirt sludge on the timing cover

New thermostat and housing as well as a new radiator and hoses, and a complete flush took care of my overheating problems.

I built a little support plate for the passenger side UCA bracket on the front axle. I've seen these fold up on other TJs before, figured some cheap insurance for bigger tires. Was still in the early learning stages of welding at this point as you can see, but it's held up

In preparation for 35's I had to overhaul the front end. Replaced a leaking axle seal, cleaned the dirty axle tubes out, new unit bearings, Nitro Gear and Axle 4340 shafts and the Vanco big brake kit. The big brakes are one of the best mods I've done to the vehicle, being able to hold the brakes solid going down steep rocky inclines without slamming the pedal is awesome and much safer.

Last edited by FalloutMaster; 09-16-2020 at 09:00 PM. Reason: added a photo
post #7 of 9 Old 09-16-2020, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
FalloutMaster

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
New 35 inch MT/Rs showed up and overshadow the tired old 33's. Many trips to CK and Table Mesa took their toll

Last picture on 33's in the Firestone parking lot.

First picture on 35's. Starting to feel like a big Jeep now.

Helped my brother install a 2.5 inch rancho lift on his Jeep.

Quick trip out to the trails at the lake with the bro to test it out

Took a trip up to Flagstaff for some snowboarding with my buddy. First time on snow with new tires, I find the 35's feel better on the road, more stable and less twitchy and they feel solid in the snow on on snowy roads. You can kind of see my freshly installed aluminum UCF high clearance center skid in picture 2, gives an extra inch and a half or so of clearance in the middle. Jeep lookin good with some snow cover on her.

I did another quick little project to finish up the interior. With the center console cut short, the shifter gate for the T-Case is exposed and rusty, so I pulled it off and painted it silver, and added the sharpied on labels for added effect. I also filed out a notch so the shifter will lock into nuetral position and not slip out into 4 Low. Oh, I also installed a Novak cable shifter at this point.

post #8 of 9 Old 09-16-2020, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
FalloutMaster

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I think that's most of the pictures that are worth posting, it's nice to have a little bit of a timeline and have all the pictures in one place. Maybe not as cool and advanced as some of the other builds here, but I've got it built well for the multitude of purposes I use it for, have to keep it all purpose and as reliable as I can. I still find myself being surprised by how capable these little monster machines are.

post #9 of 9 Old 09-18-2020, 07:22 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Great build, thanks for taking the time to share it. Nice to see someone build and use their rig. Keep updating the thread as you continue to build and wheel it. Purple power.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in