Danno's DD TJ Build - Page 85 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1261 of 1319 Old 04-21-2014, 11:08 AM
aw12345
Registered User
 
aw12345's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario
Posts: 7,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Its neat looking but not entirely practical .
I am with Greg, will be a pain to get anything out from underneath. I still prefer a spare hanging from the back, my funky tire carrier is easy to open to get access to the back and the darn billy goat Jeep still out climbs darn near every Jeep I wheel with, even with the big donut hanging from the back. It would work better for ya if the tire folded or slid out somehow.


My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 1319 Old 04-22-2014, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Danno6102
Registered User
 
Danno6102's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Its neat looking but not entirely practical .
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
I am with Greg, will be a pain to get anything out from underneath. I still prefer a spare hanging from the back, my funky tire carrier is easy to open to get access to the back and the darn billy goat Jeep still out climbs darn near every Jeep I wheel with, even with the big donut hanging from the back. It would work better for ya if the tire folded or slid out somehow.
I realize it's not for everyone, but it gets me a few things I wanted & avoids a few things I didn't want.

1. I didn't want a rear mounted tire. Not a fan of the look & I hated hitting the tire when dropping off steep ledges. I always felt I was going to rip it off or damage the door & hinges. I realize I may still hit this one, but it's tucked in a lot further & I can always add more bars to slide down if needed. I'm also not a fan of the huge tire carriers like the genright type. Just not for me. Most importantly, I think mine looks cool. I should get mad cred at the mall.

2. I wanted it as far forward as I could get it to help with COG & as low as I could get it for visibility. With the addition of the fuel cell, just throwing it in the tub like I had done before was no longer an option. I could have kept it completely in the tub & still used the rear door, but it would have had to mount too vertical & obstructed view. Moving it back also allows for the addition of some things above the fuel call like a small cooler & room to run the remote fuel fill.

3. There is storage room under the tire. Small things can easily be accessed by reaching through the side windows. In all reality, all that will be under there are a few basic tools & spare parts. Not something I have to get too often. With the Y strap, the tire can be out in about 30 seconds. Yes, it's a little heavy & will get heavier when upgraded to a 37, but really not that bad to tip it up, spin it 90 & roll it out. A flip out design would be cool & I may redesign it later to do that, but for now I think this works good, & was simple to build. The flip out design would more than likely required cutting the tub quite a bit for the tubes to clear to keep the tire below the crossbar for the rear window. Plus if I decide to redo it, it's something cheap to satisfy my fabrication fix.


Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerup1998 View Post
I was wanting to mount my spare like that....unfortunately at 39" doesn't fit so nicely in that space.
I'll have to either massage the fender wells when I go to a 37, or build some new sheet metal fenders. It'll be a tight fit.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline  
post #1263 of 1319 Old 04-22-2014, 05:37 AM
Sundowner
Registered User
 
Sundowner's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
I realize it's not for everyone, but it gets me a few things I wanted & avoids a few things I didn't want.

1. I didn't want a rear mounted tire. Not a fan of the look & I hated hitting the tire when dropping off steep ledges. I always felt I was going to rip it off or damage the door & hinges. I realize I may still hit this one, but it's tucked in a lot further & I can always add more bars to slide down if needed. I'm also not a fan of the huge tire carriers like the genright type. Just not for me. Most importantly, I think mine looks cool. I should get mad cred at the mall.

2. I wanted it as far forward as I could get it to help with COG & as low as I could get it for visibility. With the addition of the fuel cell, just throwing it in the tub like I had done before was no longer an option. I could have kept it completely in the tub & still used the rear door, but it would have had to mount too vertical & obstructed view. Moving it back also allows for the addition of some things above the fuel call like a small cooler & room to run the remote fuel fill.

3. There is storage room under the tire. Small things can easily be accessed by reaching through the side windows. In all reality, all that will be under there are a few basic tools & spare parts. Not something I have to get too often. With the Y strap, the tire can be out in about 30 seconds. Yes, it's a little heavy & will get heavier when upgraded to a 37, but really not that bad to tip it up, spin it 90 & roll it out. A flip out design would be cool & I may redesign it later to do that, but for now I think this works good, & was simple to build. The flip out design would more than likely required cutting the tub quite a bit for the tubes to clear to keep the tire below the crossbar for the rear window. Plus if I decide to redo it, it's something cheap to satisfy my fabrication fix.

I'll have to either massage the fender wells when I got to a 37, or build some new sheet metal fenders. It'll be a tight fit.
Personally, I like the design...but I'm admittedly a bit biased. I don't think people realize how obtrusive the rear-mouted spare tire is, visibility-wise, until they either go without one or move it to the position in which you've located yours; you can move it up another twelve inches or so and you'll still have more rearview-mirror usage than anyone with a tailgate-mounted spare. Also, the Y-strap is a great way to secure it the tire; I thought long and hard about using one of those before I settled on two crossed cam straps, and to be honest there's basically no difference between the two systems...both will hold it down retard-tight. I have anecdotal evidence that you can stuff a 37" tire in the cargo area without cutting sheet metal, but I can't say that I've tried it myself; I think it requires letting all the air out and then using a lot of persuasion to wedge it into place.

Nice work.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sundowner is offline  
 
post #1264 of 1319 Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 AM
AngryTJ
Registered User
 
AngryTJ's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerup1998 View Post
Why not just use a center clamp like this and forget the entire rear addition all together

Follow me on Instagram @ Tarantula_TJ


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AngryTJ is offline  
post #1265 of 1319 Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Danno6102
Registered User
 
Danno6102's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Why not just use a center clamp like this and forget the entire rear addition all together
Fuel cell & having space for future addition of a small cooler behind the passenger seat above the fuel cell, & my remote fill hose that will run towards the rear of the roll cage on the driver side for easy access by unzipping the rear corner of the window. if the tire was pushed all the way in, there wouldn't be enough room for all of it mount like it needs to. Especially the fuel filler hose. I'll post pics when I get it all installed, hopefully tonight, so you guys can see what's going on a little better.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline  
post #1266 of 1319 Old 04-22-2014, 07:30 AM
AngryTJ
Registered User
 
AngryTJ's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,468
Im saying keep it mounted in the exact same location as you have it pictured and run a tube thats attached to the tub up through the center of the wheel with a clamp to keep the tire from going anywhere.

Follow me on Instagram @ Tarantula_TJ


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AngryTJ is offline  
post #1267 of 1319 Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Danno6102
Registered User
 
Danno6102's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Im saying keep it mounted in the exact same location as you have it pictured and run a tube thats attached to the tub up through the center of the wheel with a clamp to keep the tire from going anywhere.
Oh I got ya! I thought you meant bring the tire in all the way & use that. I could have done the screw clamp, but I just like the Y strap mount for some reason. I've often wondered if those threaded clamps ever vibrate loose over time. The bars around the back are also there for a little protection. That's what's nice about having a welder & a grinder. If I don't like something I've done, I can always cut it off, grind it smooth & do something else.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline  
post #1268 of 1319 Old 04-22-2014, 08:50 PM
aw12345
Registered User
 
aw12345's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario
Posts: 7,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
I realize it's not for everyone, but it gets me a few things I wanted & avoids a few things I didn't want.

1. I didn't want a rear mounted tire. Not a fan of the look & I hated hitting the tire when dropping off steep ledges. I always felt I was going to rip it off or damage the door & hinges. I realize I may still hit this one, but it's tucked in a lot further & I can always add more bars to slide down if needed. I'm also not a fan of the huge tire carriers like the genright type. Just not for me. Most importantly, I think mine looks cool. I should get mad cred at the mall.

2. I wanted it as far forward as I could get it to help with COG & as low as I could get it for visibility. With the addition of the fuel cell, just throwing it in the tub like I had done before was no longer an option. I could have kept it completely in the tub & still used the rear door, but it would have had to mount too vertical & obstructed view. Moving it back also allows for the addition of some things above the fuel call like a small cooler & room to run the remote fuel fill.

3. There is storage room under the tire. Small things can easily be accessed by reaching through the side windows. In all reality, all that will be under there are a few basic tools & spare parts. Not something I have to get too often. With the Y strap, the tire can be out in about 30 seconds. Yes, it's a little heavy & will get heavier when upgraded to a 37, but really not that bad to tip it up, spin it 90 & roll it out. A flip out design would be cool & I may redesign it later to do that, but for now I think this works good, & was simple to build. The flip out design would more than likely required cutting the tub quite a bit for the tubes to clear to keep the tire below the crossbar for the rear window. Plus if I decide to redo it, it's something cheap to satisfy my fabrication fix.




I'll have to either massage the fender wells when I go to a 37, or build some new sheet metal fenders. It'll be a tight fit.

I am still quite happy with my lil tire carrier, thing still out climbs most all Jeeps on waterfalls, clears 4-5 foot ledges just fine, acts as a stinger on Helldorado. Would not want to do it any other way. Kinda defies the logic that a spare on it arse keeps it from climbing steep stuff

My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline  
post #1269 of 1319 Old 04-23-2014, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Danno6102
Registered User
 
Danno6102's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,572
Finished it up last night. I'm happy with the way it turned out. I think it will look even better once I stretch the rear axle back 6"-7". We'll see how it performs this weekend.

Untitled

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline  
post #1270 of 1319 Old 04-23-2014, 06:50 AM
green50gt
Senior Member
 
green50gt's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Goshen, IN
Posts: 738
Looks pretty rad!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
green50gt is offline  
post #1271 of 1319 Old 04-23-2014, 06:51 AM
REDLYNER
Registered User
 
REDLYNER's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mountain Island, NC
Posts: 4,901
Looking good!

REDLYNER Racing #4410


Rugged Radios * Raceline Wheels * DynoMax Exhaust * Motor Trenz * Polar Bear Coolers


Instagram/Facebook/Twitter: redlynerracing
REDLYNER is offline  
post #1272 of 1319 Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 AM
janesy86
Registered User
 
janesy86's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beverly
Posts: 1,532
Pretty cool dude! And if its what works for you that's all that matters.

Follow on Instagram: nickjanes***** *replace ***** w/ pregnantdog
janesy86 is offline  
post #1273 of 1319 Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 AM
g-rocc
Registered User
 
g-rocc's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Castle Rock
Posts: 405
That is going to work out really nice. I don't think I could forsake my Rokmen tailgate though.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
g-rocc is offline  
post #1274 of 1319 Old 04-24-2014, 06:54 AM
joshr1987
Registered User
 
joshr1987's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greensboro
Posts: 772
Subscribed.
joshr1987 is offline  
post #1275 of 1319 Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 AM
G Beasley
Registered User
 
G Beasley's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden
Posts: 5,802
That turned out really good ...

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline  
Reply

Tags
caliper flip , ford 8.8 , indyorv , outboard , tube fenders

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Jeep Build: Minty White Country XJ Build GTEIS300 Jeep Builds 34 01-20-2013 10:42 AM
2000 TJ Build - LCG First Time Build japete01 Jeep Builds 82 06-07-2012 09:50 PM
JeepWJ26 Build--Johnny Cash Build JeepWJ26 Jeep Builds 31 01-09-2012 11:15 AM
WeatherWarrior's "you better not call it a build" build thread. WeatherWarrior Jeep Builds 10 12-12-2011 05:31 PM
JeepDVL45's 'Bruiser' Build -- A Daily Driver's slow build JeepDVL45 Jeep Builds 41 08-11-2011 09:44 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome