137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #526 of 571 Old 03-01-2021, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
Can you run out the steering stops? I know some knuckles are just stumps like my reid knuckles but you can drill/tap and put an adjustable bolt in there cant you?
Are the motive shafts 4340 or that 1541H?
Thought I looked into those till I saw the ones at least for my rear 60 said they were 1541H which is better than stock but not much
I can adjust my steering stops, but I don't want to. I hate to lose the steering angle. I am going to clearance a bit, put everything together, and then adjust the stops only if I have to.

The Motive shafts are 4340 as well at the USA Standard Gear inner.

The_Goob likes this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #527 of 571 Old 03-03-2021, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Exciting news for DaddyJeep... not so much for my axles though. I just made a deal on a set of 40" Nittos. I am picking them up Saturday.

In other big news.... I get to go wheeling with Holly from Mischief Maker in June. This will be great recognition for my Youtube channel. It is also why I am pushing now to make my Jeep more capable. Ugh, I have way too many projects again. I really need to quit my job so I have more time.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

post #528 of 571 Old 03-03-2021, 11:38 AM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
Exciting news for DaddyJeep... not so much for my axles though. I just made a deal on a set of 40" Nittos. I am picking them up Saturday.

In other big news.... I get to go wheeling with Holly from Mischief Maker in June. This will be great recognition for my Youtube channel. It is also why I am pushing now to make my Jeep more capable. Ugh, I have way too many projects again. I really need to quit my job so I have more time.

Awesome news about the wheeling trip and 40s!!

I completely agree and hate when work gets in the way of important things like working of the Jeep!!

YJOTM: Jan 2021

post #529 of 571 Old 03-03-2021, 02:42 PM
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well get to work, you got some wheeling to do.
daddyjeep87 likes this.
post #530 of 571 Old 03-04-2021, 06:35 PM
bgredjeep

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had planned to hit one of the locations they were wheeling this season. My body had other ideas. I think you can make your axles live with 40s, but you gotta change the way you drive. Lol

post #531 of 571 Old 03-05-2021, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
I had planned to hit one of the locations they were wheeling this season. My body had other ideas. I think you can make your axles live with 40s, but you gotta change the way you drive. Lol
Yeah.... hopefully they get your back functional again. That's no fun.

Changing the way I drive??? That is going to be tough. I am pretty sure I can baby them through until I get the big axles put together. I am going to make sure that I am no longer over steering the joints, which I believe is what has been causing all my stretched and broken ear problems.

So much to do now to make 40's work.... Crawl ratio will be my next hurdle. I need to get moving on my doubler. Then there is steering. I really need some hydro assist.
bgredjeep and 87TPIYJ like this.

post #532 of 571 Old 03-05-2021, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
My latest Crawler Hauler video is up. I am going to get back to some Jeep videos real soon. I have my front axle to put together and my fo-dees that will get some air time. I found a set of used steelies, but I am second in line. Hopefully the first guy passes on them. $150 for a set of 17x10 Black Rock wheels. I have all of my axle shafts in finally and my spool is on the way. I also have a bunch of work to do on a buddy's Jeep. I'm doing a wheel bearing, welding on a new axle side control arm bracket, installing tube fenders and corner armor, sway bar disconnects, door handles, and some exhaust work.

cpia84 likes this.

post #533 of 571 Old 03-08-2021, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You know.... a 40 is quite a bit bigger than a 35. You would think it is just 5", that's not very much. Here is my 35" Cooper Stt in front of the new 40" Nitto trail Grappler.

They look pretty fantastic rolled under the DaddyJeep and somewhat positioned correctly.

So before I was going to 40's I had planned on calculating my current steering angle and modifying my axle yokes to work with that. Now that I have 40's I will have to limit my steering a bit. This is good news I suppose. I will be covering this in more detail in an upcoming video, but here are the cliff notes. I am currently steering 30 degrees in one direction and 36 in the other. The maximum steering angle for a 1310 u-joint is 30 degrees so I have definitely been oversteering them. Now, with the 40's, I am going to have to limit my steering by 12 degrees to keep the tires out of the radius arms. That should keep my axles happy with a steering angle around 24 degrees. This was all rough measuring since I don't have wheels yet. Here is all of my figuring on the floor...

Speaking of wheels. I sold my 35's to a buddy for enough to buy some new wheels. He showed up to pick up 4 35's in a Dodge Dart.... I thought he was insane, but we shoved them in there.

One in the trunk and 3 in the back seat. Good thing he isn't real tall.

I am ordering these today from Summit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-85h7885ns

A couple of shots showing my rough approach and departure angles.

87TPIYJ likes this.

post #534 of 571 Old 03-08-2021, 07:14 PM
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looking pretty sweet. Those tires are going to do a number on your axles...
post #535 of 571 Old 03-08-2021, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Looking pretty sweet. Those tires are going to do a number on your axles...
I'm going to have to be real careful until the big boy axles are ready.

post #536 of 571 Old 03-09-2021, 03:54 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
24 of steering is going to bring the suck. Hopefully you can fix that when you change axles.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #537 of 571 Old 03-09-2021, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
24 of steering is going to bring the suck. Hopefully you can fix that when you change axles.
That is a true statement. I wasn't real happy with the 30 I had. The front suspension is going to be completely redone for the new axles and the links will definitely provide more clearance for steering than the current radius arms do. Plus the axles are wider and I will buy correct wheels instead of temporary wheels so less offset will help too. Without spending a bunch of money on wheels I was stuck with 4" of backspacing.

I suppose if I were a more patient man I would have stacked those 40's in a corner until the Jeep was ready for them.

post #538 of 571 Old 03-15-2021, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I got the new wheels coated in a half a dozen coats of Plasti Dip over the weekend and a few coats of florescent green. Then the fun part of wrestling them onto the wheels commenced. We got it done and actually got them on the Jeep. My front axle is empty at the moment as I am waiting for my spool to show up, but I did put the hubs back on so I could at least drive it a little and put it on the ramp to look for clearance issues. I have not measured yet, but I do have more steering than I thought I was going to have so I am real happy about that. I did have some interference with the rear tire and the shock on compression. I was concerned about that. I am going to have to get some spacers. Those giant side lugs on the Nittos are not going to be good for my shocks.

Vision Soft 8 wheels in 17x8

White Plasti Dip base coat

Green top coat

Finished wheel

Here they are all mounted up and on the Jeep.

Flexed out a bit. I checked for clearance for my fender flares and everything looks good there. Really, everything is clearing fine except for the rear shocks.

Now, on to those half doors that I picked up for nothing...

As received in crappy blue paint.

and original red inside.

After a little time with some 220 grit.

I lost some pics of the inside of the doors apparently, but they are flat black inside. Here is the finished outside.

bgredjeep, 87TPIYJ and NashvilleTJ like this.

post #539 of 571 Old 03-15-2021, 07:20 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Nice work DJ.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #540 of 571 Old 03-17-2021, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I put together my press brake last night. Now I can get going on some fender flares.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in