DaddyJeep build - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
 137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #406 of 571 Old 05-08-2020, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
OK.... I spend the $0.34 for the #4 machine washers so at some point I will play around with the West Texas mod.

I ordered a 4340 stub shaft and Spicer U-joint from Morris 4wd because it was the least expensive I could find. It turns out that I just needed the one. I thought I could see some stretching on the other one, but upon further inspection it is fine. Since the D60 will be going under there as soon as I can I am only doing what I absolutely have to do.

I also ordered the DB Electrical gear reduction mini starter. My battery appears to be fine, but my starter seems to need brushes. It will get rebuilt for a spare. Here is a link to the starter. I have read good things in several place on the interwebs and for the price it is worth a shot.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...-hp-mt200.html

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #407 of 571 Old 05-13-2020, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
My mini starter showed up.

We have been making good progress on our bumper builds.

My buddy's Liberty.

My Square Body Chevy.

NHfireLJ likes this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

post #408 of 571 Old 05-14-2020, 11:31 PM
AZdEvilYJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

DaddyJeep build

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
My mini starter showed up.

We have been making good progress on our bumper builds.

My buddy's Liberty.

My Square Body Chevy.

What starter is that? EDIT: I just saw the post above.

Just FYI the 95-98 5.7 vortecs had a factory hi-torque ďminiĒ starter from the factory. Thatís what Iíve been running, itís been great up until my last trip. Itís starting to stick from the heat cycles itís been put through with the exhaust so close

'95 YJ 2.5L
March '19 YJ of the Month!

My Build Thread

Do your best and caulk the rest
-Albert Einstein

post #409 of 571 Old 05-15-2020, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
What starter is that? EDIT: I just saw the post above.

Just FYI the 95-98 5.7 vortecs had a factory hi-torque ďminiĒ starter from the factory. Thatís what Iíve been running, itís been great up until my last trip. Itís starting to stick from the heat cycles itís been put through with the exhaust so close
I knew there was a factory option for the gear reduction starters, I just couldn't find the right information. Oh well, we will see how this one works out. It was pretty inexpensive anyway.

post #410 of 571 Old 05-15-2020, 07:32 AM
MrMaheu1983

Very nice organised! Looks great!
daddyjeep87 likes this.
post #411 of 571 Old 05-26-2020, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I found that I had a significant transmission leak...again. It turns out that one of the four bolt holes in the transmission was stripped out. When I installed the t-case adapter the last I felt it let go and immediately stopped tightening. I guess I hoped it would be ok. That didn't work out so good so it came apart again. I just tapped the hole to a larger size and put it all back together. I am so tired of transmission leaks. Hopefully this will be good for a while.

post #412 of 571 Old 05-28-2020, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I finally got around to replacing the stub shaft.

It fought me a bit pulling it through the knuckle. It appears that things are bent a little... who knew? After a little persuading with a crow bar the shaft was liberated. After that it was just the typical knock out the u-joint caps from the inner shaft and prepare the new stub. The dust shield needs moved from the old stub shaft to the new one. It is just pressed on. This is yet again a good example that I need to buy me a hydraulic press. Since I don't have a press I put a piece of tubing in the vise and persuaded things with the BFH.

Then I just tossed in the new Spicer u-joint and put it all back together. I dumped a whole bunch of fresh grease inside the hub and packed the bearings the best I could. It was a little gross in there.

post #413 of 571 Old 05-28-2020, 10:17 AM
NHfireLJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
I finally got around to replacing the stub shaft.

It fought me a bit pulling it through the knuckle. It appears that things are bent a little... who knew? After a little persuading with a crow bar the shaft was liberated. After that it was just the typical knock out the u-joint caps from the inner shaft and prepare the new stub. The dust shield needs moved from the old stub shaft to the new one. It is just pressed on. This is yet again a good example that I need to buy me a hydraulic press. Since I don't have a press I put a piece of tubing in the vise and persuaded things with the BFH.

Then I just tossed in the new Spicer u-joint and put it all back together. I dumped a whole bunch of fresh grease inside the hub and packed the bearings the best I could. It was a little gross in there.

Just a slight bend....

Where theres a will, and a BFH theres a way
daddyjeep87 likes this.

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #414 of 571 Old 07-13-2020, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Wow... I have been slacking. It is about time I got back to work on the Jeep. I had a graduation party in my shop so that took a week or so to convert the place into party mode and then we went to the beach for a week. I sold my truck, my wife's Jeep, and my kid's Camry and bough the wife a Tahoe. Now that all of that is out of the way lets get back to it. I never evened updated this after my last wheeling trip to Rausch Creek... wtf.

All right. Rausch Creek has been on my "things to do" list for a decade. Man am I glad I finally made that happen. I finally put DaddyJeep through the stuff it was built for and it did great. Of course I identified some areas for improvement, but it made it through the weekend with only some minor repairs needed.

I also realize now that I never covered my brake issues here. In preparations for the trip I did a complete brake system overhaul with a TJ dual diaphragm booster and MC and took the O ring out of the proportioning valve. I had been having issues with my right rear Eldorado caliper leaking so I ordered up both K20 calipers to replace them. The K20 calipers were way too big and this was the morning we were to leave so I put a bolt through the right rear banjo bolt and left with three brakes. I did some research on the road since my buddy was driving and found out that I had the smaller 80's Eldorado calipers. I did some digging and found that I would need an 80's metric car caliper. I found an Autozone close to where we were that had a caliber for an '80 Malibu so we picked that up along with some new pads. Once we got to the park I installed the caliper on the trailer and bled the brakes. My brake haven't felt this good in a long time. I still have to bleed them a little better, but this was a huge improvement.

We started off Saturday morning on Yellow Jacket. For some reason my right front hub wasn't engaging at first and made it a little challenging in 3wd, but after unlocking and locking it back in a couple times we got into 4wd. We didn't get many pics, but got quite a bit of video. Once I get it all put together I will post it up here. We did so many trails it would be tough to talk about them all, but I will cover what I can. After Yellow Jacket we went down Trail O. It had a pretty gnarly off camber ledge to drop off. Of course I altered the trail a bit my bringing a mattress sized rock down the hill with me. My Ballistic Fab diff cover decided to grab ahold of it and bring it with us. We ran Cemetary at some point after that. That was a real fun black trail. At some point I came down on a rock and completely destroyed my Winters Shift Linkage.

At least I was stuck in D so I could keep going. I have no neutral safety switch so I was able to shut the Jeep down as needed. After we finished Cemetary we headed over to Crawling for Cops, a Blue/Black trail. We figured it would be ok to bring along my buddy in his KK on 31.5's. We had just put in a rear locker so it was a good place to really test it out. Well, that Jeep didn't really belong on that trail, but with careful spotting we got him through just fine. It is a good thing he has lots of skid plates. This was a good time for a lunch break and a chance to evaluate my shift linkage. The park has a work area and a welder for a small fee. It certainly wasn't much, but we were able to get things functioning again there.

After lunch we decided to head over to the Northeast Property. We ran BFG both ways, 38 A, B, and C, and Outer Limits. I did pull one pic from one of the videos just because it was awesome...

My buddy in the background in his pretty cool Yj on tons with a SBC and 39.5's. Here is a closer pic of my off camber tire lift.

That wrapped up Saturday. Sunday Morning we decided to head on over to the West property to run Beaver Creek. What a great trail. It took us about 3 hours to get through it. I did at least get a pic of my son getting some seat time.

Just as we got to the end my buddy in the other YJ decided to run out of gas. Of course we were at the very furthest corner of the property and had a very long climb up the mountain to get back to the trailers. We could have driven out and brought back gas, but none of had cans so we just put him on a strap and started the long tow home. I had to pull him up a pretty good Blue trail just to get back to the main Green trail. We met up with our other buddy in the KK and had some lunch.

We started the climb. Of course my engine and trans temps climbed pretty quick and somewhere along the way I lost my transmission mount bolts and my u-joint in the front drive shaft was coming apart. Why stop now. The drive shaft was banging on the floor pretty good, but we kept pushing along. Once the trans temp got to 230 we decided to have a cool down break for a bit. We got back going and the tensioner pulley decided to lock up on me. Everything under the hood was too hot to touch, but we eventually got the tensioner out and were able to dump some oil into the bearings and get the pulley to free up. It was noisy, but it worked. We finally finished the climb and go the Jeeps back to the trailers. We had an awesome time and will be going back the first weekend in August.

That brings us to last weekend. It was time to build a skid plate under the engine and transmission. I picked up a 21" x 48" piece of 1/8" plate and some 3/4" angle iron. I know that 1/8" is a little thin, but that will be addressed shortly, just keep following. I built a crossover from the motor mounts to act as the front mounting point and used my existing trans cross member for the rear mount.

I made some mounting points out of some square tube with weld nuts burned in. The skid plate still leaves good access along the sides for working on the drive shaft, shift linkage, cooler lines, etc.

I bent the outer edges about 20 degrees to add some strength. I also needed a bend in the center to angle the front up a little. I made a cut in the angled edge to allow it to bend and then welded up the cuts. This in itself added quite a bit of strength. Then I burned in the angle iron making sure to tie it into the angles.

Then I took another piece of plate and bent it to match and burned it in to double up the thickness in the center.

I added some etching primer and rattle can black.

Done.

Next on the list is building a better front drive shaft.
87TPIYJ likes this.

post #415 of 571 Old 07-13-2020, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Oh yeah... I still have a pretty good transmission leak. It is coming from the front this time. It may be a seal on the pump. I am just going to keep buying fluid and get that other trans built instead of pulling this one out again.

post #416 of 571 Old 07-13-2020, 11:47 AM
'92 vegas YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Man that sounds like a crazy trip. Did you have problems with the O ring in the proportioning valve or you just heard others have problems and removed it before anything could happen? I found out the hard way it doesn't work with my setup. I had to remove it because it kept locking up my rear calipers.

Sounds like you had a heck of time out in Rausch Creek. Glad you were able to get trail fixes done on everything and make it back to camp. I love the ingenuity that offroaders have. Skid plate looks good and hopefully it'll hold up well for you. My first oil pan skids was 1/8" with angle iron supports and it bent to hell, new one is 1/4".

Jeep looks good.
post #417 of 571 Old 07-13-2020, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Man that sounds like a crazy trip. Did you have problems with the O ring in the proportioning valve or you just heard others have problems and removed it before anything could happen? I found out the hard way it doesn't work with my setup. I had to remove it because it kept locking up my rear calipers.

Sounds like you had a heck of time out in Rausch Creek. Glad you were able to get trail fixes done on everything and make it back to camp. I love the ingenuity that offroaders have. Skid plate looks good and hopefully it'll hold up well for you. My first oil pan skids was 1/8" with angle iron supports and it bent to hell, new one is 1/4".

Jeep looks good.
I removed the O ring to improve by brake balance front to rear. My rear brakes were not doing much with the o ring in there. It seems to be right on without it in there. I can lock up the fronts pretty easy on gravel and with a little more pedal pressure the rears lock up. Not the most scientific test, but you want the fronts to lock up first so I verified that.

post #418 of 571 Old 07-15-2020, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I gathered up some pieces that I had laying around from a Dodge 1500 front CV Drive shaft along with a new 1330 u-joint. A buddy of mine hooked me up with a couple short pieces of 2.5" x .095" wall stainless tubing that fit over the ends of the drive shaft pieces. He also gave me a piece of Schedule 40 Stainless to go over top of all of that. This will make me a real solid driveshaft with almost 1/4" wall thickness.

Reclaimed pieces...

All melted back together. I don't normally grind my welds on a drive shaft, but I used a buddy's 220V machine that I am not used to and had some pretty ugly boogers hanging off of it so I kind of had to clean it up a little.

post #419 of 571 Old 07-16-2020, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Crossing things off the list.... The drive shaft is painted and installed. I threw in a new tensioner pulley last night too. The Jeep is ready to wheel again. There are still plenty of things on my list, but aren't there always. I still have to get back on my steering. I have a cooler to install and still need to mod the pump. I still have my power distribution center to build. I still want to rework my exhaust so I can lower the fuel cell.

Anyway here are a couple of shots of the drive shaft. I thought about leaving it raw stainless because the DA cleaned it up nice.

After a half dozen or so coats of gloss black.

Installed.

This thing sure is heavy. The .203" wall thickness definitely adds some heft and it should take some abuse.

post #420 of 571 Old 07-20-2020, 12:08 PM
coggsdsmt

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Great video man! Also, love the look to the shocks through the hood, you've done some awesome fab work!
daddyjeep87 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in