Cracked drivers side head timing chain guide bolt hole - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-01-2020, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Bjosuesr

Cracked drivers side head timing chain guide bolt hole

Good afternoon all, I have a cracked head at the top timing chain guide bolt hole on the drivers side head. I’m wondering if it would be ok if I just opened it up a bit and put in some jbweld or should I try to drill and tap and small pin in it or just remove the head and have it welded by a machine shop. My concern with the jbweld is I’m not sure how much vibration the jbweld will endure before letting loose and I don’t want It to cause further damage if it comes apart. Thanks for the advice.

Attached Thumbnails
60C5D62D-4666-49C9-BDB5-571521CD4664_1593642041057.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-01-2020, 04:50 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
jb wont do much there. to weld that if possible would mean taking it apart and would seem at that point a head would be best replaced.

what engine is it? That is a real odd stress fracture.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-01-2020, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Bjosuesr

It is the 4.7l non HO. It isn’t a stress fracture really. I was tightening the bolt to 13ftlbs After installing timing chain kit. when I heard the head pop. Knew immediately what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
jb wont do much there. to weld that if possible would mean taking it apart and would seem at that point a head would be best replaced.

what engine is it? That is a real odd stress fracture.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-01-2020, 07:47 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I hate to say it but it is fubar. I mean if it was a bush fix one might pin it. glue it. limp it out. Lest someone else has a Macgyver for this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #5 of 7 Old 07-01-2020, 10:24 PM
RAMMJETT

I do lots of aluminum tig welding and could fix that no problem , I'm sure if you found a good welder they could tig that with the head on the car ,you would have to V out the crack and fill it with tig weld, don't just try to lay some weld on top the crack or it will crack again . then run a chaser through the thread , green loctite the pin back in and you will be fine .
post #6 of 7 Old 07-02-2020, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Bjosuesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I hate to say it but it is fubar. I mean if it was a bush fix one might pin it. glue it. limp it out. Lest someone else has a Macgyver for this.

Thank you for your advice
post #7 of 7 Old 07-02-2020, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Bjosuesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMMJETT View Post
I do lots of aluminum tig welding and could fix that no problem , I'm sure if you found a good welder they could tig that with the head on the car ,you would have to V out the crack and fill it with tig weld, don't just try to lay some weld on top the crack or it will crack again . then run a chaser through the thread , green loctite the pin back in and you will be fine .
Thank you Iím going to try and find a mobile welder with a tig machine that can come weld it on the vehicle. Thanks again for the advise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in