LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-09-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
CriaLabeouf
2014 WK 

Garage
Build: "Hailey" 2014 JGC WK2 Limited 3.6L 4x4

Well here goes nothing.

Background:
I sought a bit of advice on this site a little over a year ago in regards to wheel and tire sizes and a suspension kit. Since then it's been a crazy year while I have been finishing my undergrad degree. This has left my Jeep "Hailey" in a state of limbo since I haven't had the funding to really do anything. I am now at a point where moving forward with this project is a possibility and I want to go ahead and start this thread because I want to share the progress! I guess I'll start with a stock photo, then another one with the status to date which is an 2.5" Old Man Emu lift (medium duty kit), 32.64" (265/70R18) Mastercraft Courser AXT tires, and black plasti-dip wheels (to be replaced with powder coat, but I wanted to be sure I liked the look first).

Stock:
Attachment 3817139

Current: (I'm 5'10" to give you an idea of the overall height in the first picture (and acting like a tourist chach on a road trip), and the second one is from when I happened to park next to an identical Jeep to mine which was still stock for further reference on how the lift affects the appearance and approach angle. I need better pics before I do more work.)
Attachment 3817141
Attachment 3817143

One thing I have noticed is that there's just a tiny bit of rub at full right lock with full suspension compression. It hasn't been an issue and is just the felt liner rubbing. I'm probably going to leave it alone for now.

Plans:
In the next few months I will be adding a roof rack, lights, rock sliders, fuel tank skid plates, a pre-runner skid plate (with permanent lower fascia removal), a hidden winch, a front bumper bar, tow hitch receiver, tow hooks, and a K&N CAI. I also want to have the rims powder-coated and trim painted. (I don't plan on ever selling this car and want to drive it until the wheels fall off). Last on my list, and something I wouldn't do for a while would be a RIPP supercharger kit, but this is honestly a huge maybe/if everything will fit type of deal.

I don't think I'm supposed to plug social media or YouTube or anything so I wont, but I shouldn't be too difficult to find, and for each post here I will have short videos up in those other places if that's a format you prefer, or you don't care about the nitty-gritty details I plan on including here.

I am pretty mechanically inclined and have experience welding and using machine tools but my goal is for this to be a stock+ style build, geared toward overlanding with as little drilling or cutting as is necessary. Please share your thoughts on the build as a whole and definitely share any must-have accessories from your experiences, or feel free to air your criticisms, it's all cool by me! Right now I am researching additional gas storage options, spare-tire hanging on the rear tailgate, rooftop tents, and removable storage!

Additional discalimer: None of this is sponsored in any form or fashion, any brands I have named are a personal preference by me as a consumer either from experience or reputation. If by some strange sequence of events that changes I will be 100% transparent on that and either not name the brand here, or add another disclaimer next to anything of that nature depending on what the mods prefer and I don't want to break any rules. (This is highly, highly unlikely to ever happen though).

Y'all stoked?

Suhhhhh, dude!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-11-2019, 07:30 AM
Quigley360

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck with your build! 👍
CriaLabeouf likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-12-2019, 07:04 AM
Bdajeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I see no pics. Is it just me?

U.S.M.C
Local 18

post #4 of 5 Old 04-12-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
CriaLabeouf
2014 WK 

Garage
Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdajeep View Post
I see no pics. Is it just me?
I'm honestly not completely sure how it works here, but I don't think I have enough posts here for the pictures to be visible by default. There should be embedded links in there. Hopefully that will fix itself soon as I update this thread. First project is going on tomorrow which will just be the trailer hitch receiver!

Suhhhhh, dude!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-17-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
CriaLabeouf
2014 WK 

Garage
Update 1: Mopar Hitch Receiver Install

Whew! It's been an eventful few weeks. I graduated college and moved to a new city to start a new job! This project was all about helping me be able to do that as I packed all my stuff in a u-haul and towed it down to my new place. This was a really easy project, and the instructions that came with the Mopar kit were easy to follow so I think I'm just going to hit the high points and the one or two areas were I got hung up.

But first, the finished product (See attachments):

This install is pretty straight forward, remove the rear bumper, take out the old cross-member, install the new cross-member with hitch-receiver, and put it all back together. You also have to cut a hole in the bumper (I should say I made this way harder than it needed to be), and then you have to install the 7/4 way connector for any trailer lights (which will cost you standard 1-hour shop rate for a dealership to flash the system and activate the trailer lights).

Like I said I'm gonna keep this short and hit the high points. After you disconnect everything the instructions tell you to, and pull out any rivets and screws the bumper comes off pretty easily. The trick here is to have help and to pull on the top front corner where a little tab is wrapped around one of the screw holes. Once you pry that off the bumper will pretty much just drop off. I recommend having a towel or mat on the ground to avoid scratching the paint and don't forget to disconnect the backup sensors if you have those.

(Image in attachments)

Once the bumper is off you drop the 6 bolts from the stock cross-member, slide that out the back of the frame, slide the Mopar tow hitch cross-member in place and bolt it down to the torque specified in the manual. I then installed the 7/4-way connector and plugged it into the factory installed harness.

I then turned my attention to the rear bumper and here's where I messed up a little bit. I did not have a Dremel available immediately, but I was too impatient to wait for one so I used a little mini saw and cut the main opening (which looked rough) and then I pre-drilled holes to mark the ends of the slots where the tabs slide into so that i could put the bumper back on and finish the whole thing later. Later ended up being after I moved and got settled into my new place. The trim bezel itself was a little tricky to get on because it didn't match the curvature of my bumper plastic perfectly (I think just due to the bumper being pulled a little flatter from 55k miles of mostly highway driving), but once each tab was in the hole its hole they snapped in pretty solidly.

The only piece that gave a bit of trouble going back together was the wheel well liner, and that was just because its flexible and some of those holes are really small so getting everything to line up can be a chore. The only other note I would make is to make sure you reconnect your backup sensors, I almost forgot that putting the bumper back on.

I got to test the whole setup with the move and I couldn't be happier with how Haley handled a 6'x12' U-haul that weighed around 5,000 lbs fully loaded and then another 100-120lbs of stuff in the back. I was riding perfectly level thanks to the medium duty Old Man Emu lift and had zero issues with the hitch receiver or lights.

Thanks for reading, and here's what should be coming soon!
- I am installing the K&N Cold Air Intake tomorrow, should be another fun and easy project. CAI's are something I have done a few times before and feel pretty comfortable doing.
- After that is done I am going to be looking at rock rails. Right now I plan on using the Mopar rock rails with integrated steps, but I have also looked at the Chief Products alternatives as they appear to be a little bit heavier gauge steel, and honestly look better. Reply which ones you think I should go with!
- The plasti-dip is definitely showing some wear so I am looking into options for paint in the Orlando area, biggest snag here is that this car is my daily driver so it would have to be a 1-day in and out coordinated with the paint shop. I may have them just do the chrome trim pieces and get new rims when I am ready for new tires.

Finally, I have a slight camber out on my rear tires, and I have been told that the alignment is as far as it can go in that respect so I am looking into a camber kit for the rear, but I might hold off on that since when I add weight to the back it resolves itself due to the natural motion of the suspension. Its only about 1 degree out so I'm thinking with everything installed it will be at least neutral.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1131.jpg   IMG_0889.jpg  

Suhhhhh, dude!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in