Bmann's 98 TJ Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 65 Old 05-20-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Bmann412

Garage
It's been a while since I have last updated my build. Over the past few weeks I have been trying to drive the Jeep, mainly just short trips into town. I picked up a flex-a-lite electric fan and controller to fix my overheating issue. So far its been great hasn't gotten over 210 even sitting in traffic on my way home from work! I also Installed my UCF LoPro transmission mount and finally got my transfer case linkage adjusted. still needs some fine tuning but its better then nothing. The Jeep has been running great until about a week ago I noticed I was losing a lot of oil but could find any leaks. when I looked in the intake manifold I found a good bit of oil. I spent the past couple days working on the Jeep after work to get the plenum seal replaced. It wasn't a difficult install just very time consuming. Today I got it all back together only to find oil back in the intake. upon further inspection I noticed that the aftermarket crank case breathers I bought had a good bit of oil in them as well as the vacuum line which was coated with oil. Not sure what I am going to do about them yet but I really hope this is the problem. I will be pretty upset if I have to replace the Plenum seal again.

much more difficult to replace this gasket with the engine in the Jeep.
img_0413.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 06-17-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Bmann412

Garage
Since I last updated I have installed new a new PVC valve which has seemed to resolve most of my issues with oil in my intake. With this issue resolved I have been able to put my Jeep back on daily driver duty. The engine swap portion of my build is starting to wrap up and I can move onto other projects with the Jeep.

Last weekend was Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival which was my drop dead goal for the Jeep to be done. The Jeep however did put up a fight the week before. First the Battery went and was replaced with an optima yellow top. With the new battery the Jeep still would not start. So I had the starter replaced, luckily it was still under warranty and this resolved my no start issues before Bantam. with the no start issue resolved I finally able to test the Jeep on some short trails. It preformed better then I expected! Only issue I have found is that under the hood gets very hot when you are moving slow on a trail. The engine temps never went over 210 however you could barely touch the hood from the heat the engine is giving off. So I purchased a Poison Spyder hood Louvre to hopefully help get some of the heat out from under the hood.

img_0571.jpg

img_0661.jpg

img_0582.jpg

I plan to get the Louvre powder coated to match the paint but for now I kind of like the raw aluminum look. I am also looking to get the Jeep resprayed since the paint is looking a bit sad.

img_0605.jpg

img_0612.jpg

img_0613.jpg
post #63 of 65 Old 09-15-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Bmann412

Garage
Update 9-15-17

Some changes have been made to the Jeep since the last time I posted. I purchased a set of Tj Rubicon axles. Unfortunately I don't have many pictures of install since I was mainly working by myself and didn't have much time since the Tj is back on daily driver duty. Still looking for the air pumps for the lockers but overall I am very happy with them. I plan to beef them up more down the road but for now they will do. Also took the Jeep to Southington offroad, it preformed great! only got stuck once and was my fault. I didn't have enough momentum going into the obstacle.

img_0735.jpg

img_0737.jpg

img_0876.jpg

img_0878.jpg

img_1616.jpg

img_1627.jpg

e6c58cf6-7d1f-483a-8f8c-f6f11c68b5cd.jpg

post #64 of 65 Old 12-18-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Bmann412

Garage
Update 12/18

Not a whole lot has been done to the Tj since the last update. I have been busy with work,school and other projects. I was able to get the lockers hooked up and boy do they make a difference. I also replaced the steering stabilizer with a rubicon express one and upgraded my steering setup to Currie. I lucked out and was given the setup with the axles.

The front bumper was looking a bit bare so I picked up a used warn vr10000s for a pretty good price on Craigslist.

Most recently the Tj has gone back on daily driver duty since my brothers 4Runner blew a head gasket at 200,000 miles. So with the cold PA winters the heater core needed to be fixed. Before we dig further into fixing my brothers Toyota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1998 TJ 5.9l
1978 CJ7 Renegade
2013 JK
post #65 of 65 Old 05-14-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Bmann412

Garage
Update 5/14/19

Not many changes have been made to the Jeep since I have last updated. I have been just enjoying it as is. However it is in need of some maintenance. First up was replacing the ball joints,u-joints, and tie/drag link ends. Next I ordered an SPOD to clean up the mess of wiring. Still trying to figure out where to mount the control box since it will not fit in itís intended spot.

img_2925.jpg

Finally I made the jump to 35ís.

1998 TJ 5.9l
1978 CJ7 Renegade
2013 JK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in