Banana 'manche project - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Goliath-XJ

Garage
Banana 'manche project

The Banana 'manche project

I bought this jeep a few weeks back as an unfinished project. It's a 1989 Jeep Comanche short bed. The truck started its life as a Renix 4.0 with a 5-speed transmission.
The previous owner started the '97+ conversion but never finished it. I bought the Comanche "as is", along with another, parts Cherokee.
The deal was too good to pass up.
The jeep was bought and kept in Florida its whole life, so it's very solid. There are only a few, very little spots on the floor pans with some rust showing, but it's a quick fix, so I don't really worry about that.

Quick plan for the build:
- newer engine, automatic transmission, and wiring harness swap
- 3/4 ton axles (8 lug ford HP dana 44 and full float dana 60)
- 35" tires
- new paint job (yellow)
- front clip and interior swap to the older style
- fuel cell
and a lot more...

Here are some pictures of the jeep when I got it. Of course first, I went thru all the stuff that was on the bed of the truck and all the additional parts that came with the deal.

img_1382.jpg

img_1384.jpg

img_1420.jpg

img_1421.jpg

img_1422.jpg

img_1423.jpg

Goliath Off Road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Goliath-XJ

Garage
I already have a bunch of parts waiting to be installed on the Comanche.
Axles are getting new 4.10 gears. Both axles have trusses. For the front, I went with TnT XJ/MJ swap kit with a high steer track bar mount, and on the rear dana 60, I just welded a simple, plain truss.
As soon as the axle come back regeared, I will start putting them back together. Everything in the axles is going to be new, all the bearings, seals and bolts.
Front axle is going to get a LockRight locker, warn premium hubs, Yukon Chromoly axle shafts, high steer arm, RuffStuff diff cover, new spindles, ball joints etc.
Rear axle is equipped with a factory track lock differential, so I'm going to keep that for now. Other than that it's getting all new bearings, gears, seals and steel diff cover.

I also found a Comanche specific topper/camper locally, and it's in very good condition. I'm going to paint the same color as the jeep will be.

img_1472.jpg

Goliath Off Road
post #3 of 22 Old 04-04-2019, 10:09 AM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

This is worth watching.
Goliath-XJ likes this.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old 04-04-2019, 09:16 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Nice. Looking forward to following your build.
Goliath-XJ likes this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #5 of 22 Old 04-12-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Goliath-XJ

Garage
I spent the last week fixing some rust problems in the cab an engine bay. Everything is nicely patched, sprayed with ospho and is waiting for some anti-rust paint next week.*

There were about 10 little rust holes in the cab. About golf ball size. I think Comanches tend to have rust on the floor pans. This is my third Comanche, and they can be perfect everywhere and have rusty*floor pans...*

Also, I think the rear sliding*window was poorly designed. They were leaking like crazy and Comanches*were rusting behind the front seats. Mine don't have rust on the back of the cab, thankfully.*

img_1586.jpg

img_1594.jpg

Goliath Off Road
post #6 of 22 Old 04-12-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Goliath-XJ

Garage
Few of the missing pieces for the suspension came in. New factory leaf springs (they flex more than lift leaf springs). I'm doing a spring over the axle, instead of the factory under the axle set up. That and some custom leaf spring hangers should give me about 6.5" on the back. I already have 6.5" front Clayton Off Road springs.*

And some fox shocks performance series to go with it. Should ride pretty nicely *

img_1551.jpg

Goliath Off Road
post #7 of 22 Old 04-13-2019, 11:11 AM
Jakegrovephoto

Subscribed

Came real close to picking up a 2wd 88 MJ a few weeks back to swap in a 4x4 AX-15 and 231 I have around. This build looks like you have a solid plan going for it

post #8 of 22 Old 04-14-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Goliath-XJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakegrovephoto View Post
Subscribed

Came real close to picking up a 2wd 88 MJ a few weeks back to swap in a 4x4 AX-15 and 231 I have around. This build looks like you have a solid plan going for it
I never have a solid plan for my builds haha
I always change stuff as I go, but this one is going to be nice.
Stay tuned for more

Goliath Off Road
post #9 of 22 Old 04-17-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Goliath-XJ

Garage
Today, I started cutting the metal!
I "trimmed" the bed to clear the new 37's. I'm also planning to make a nice rear bumper that will be low profile, go around the corners, and won't take away any clearance. In order to do that I cut the rear lower section of the bed, leaving just a little bit of lip to make it look cleaner. I think it looks much better now.

img_1711.jpg

img_1712.jpg

I also started working on my new seats. Since the jeep came without seats, and the XJ seats from the donor won't really fit I had to make something. I had these Mastercraft Nomad seats since forever and thought they would look cool in the 'manche. However, considering the fact that I'm 6'4", the regular "bolt-on" brackets won't fit, I had to make my own. These are going to work just fine, and I won't be touching the roof with my head. I also made the sliders for them (not pictured).

img_1713.jpg

img_1716.jpeg

Frame stiffeners from T&M Fab came in the mail the other day. I will be welding them after the jeep is painted.
I was looking for the dedicated Comanche stiffeners for a long time, and I saw these on Instagram. Decided to give them a try.
The problem with the Comanche is that they are the same as the Cherokee, to just about the middle of the cab. After that, they are completely different and regular Cherokee stuff won't fit without a lot of modifications.
This is the full set that goes from the very begging of the jeep to the very end (front, mid, and bed section)
So far, they look good, we will see how they fit...

img_1714.jpg

Goliath Off Road
post #10 of 22 Old 04-20-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Goliath-XJ

Garage
I finished cutting the bed today. It looks like crap now, but once the proper tires roll in, it's going to be badass.
Also, since the axles are really wide (full width) I will probably make some kind of fender flares, to cover some of the tire.

img_1732.jpg

I couldn't resist and put the topper on the Comanche to see how it would look. It already looks good, but it will be much better all painted the same color.

img_1728.jpg

Also, the rusty spots in the floor are fixed, sealed and the floorboards are ready to be painted next week.

img_1743.jpg
danno627 likes this.

Goliath Off Road
post #11 of 22 Old 04-22-2019, 09:06 AM
Highgear1

Cool build I'm putting an nsg370 6 speed in my 89
Attached Thumbnails
20190419_093643_1555945563440.jpg   20190419_102207_1555945583773.jpg  
post #12 of 22 Old 04-29-2019, 12:27 PM
dougcherokee
1994 ZJ 

Absolutely gorgeous.
post #13 of 22 Old 05-05-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Goliath-XJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highgear1 View Post
Cool build I'm putting an nsg370 6 speed in my 89
nice!

Goliath Off Road
post #14 of 22 Old 05-05-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Goliath-XJ

Garage
Some progress from the past few days, on the Comanche.

The floor is done. All welded, sealed, and painted.

img_1761.jpg

Front fenders are cut to fit the 37" tires. I want to keep it low, so had to trim a little bit more than it normally would be.

img_1799.jpg

I took the bed off, sanded it for paint and fixed some little dents. While I had the bed off I pushed the Comanche outside and clean the rear frame and the bed from all the dirt and grime. The frame on that Comanche is just perfect. There is not even surface rust on it. I was kinda impressed.

img_1916.jpg

img_1918.jpg

img_1917.jpg

I also sanded and painted the engine bay. It was sprayed with an ugly black primer that was peeling off. Now it's nice and black. And looks fresh too. The engine bay is ready to install the engine!

img_1925.jpg

Goliath Off Road
post #15 of 22 Old 06-29-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Goliath-XJ

Garage
Not much progress on the 'manche. It's getting ready to head out for some new paint next week. I had to fix a lot of dents, rust holes around the rear window etc.
It's a lot of work, especially since the jeep has every panel in a different color, and only God knows how many times it was painted before...
When it gets back from the paint, I can actually start doing the fun stuff, assembly!

For now, I just came across a great deal on a brand new Trail Gear steering assist, and just couldn't pass the opportunity.

img_2762.jpg

Also scored a set of JK Rubicon axles, complete with e-lockers, so that's what I'm going to use on this build.

Goliath Off Road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in