B2CARPEN's 2000 Jeep TJ 4.7L Stroker Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 721 Old 10-19-2014, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looking to make an investment for a 5000 (or so) watt electric garage heater with an attached digital thermostat. I have been using my 50,000btu propane torpedo heater but I need a ceiling mounted unit that will kick on and safely keep the garage heated while I'm not in there. I've been looking at these two units...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HWZ...p_mobile?psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000A...ref=mp_s_a_1_7

Anyone have any other good recommendations or good experiences?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founder of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 721 Old 10-24-2014, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Made more headway on the number 3 combustion chamber, here's a few pics to show the progress and different appearances along the way...

Unshrouding the outer walls around the valves (since I will be running oversized valves) and deburring the rough cast...

Smoothing out the roof and walls with 80 and 120 grit cartridge rolls...

Then using medium and very fine grit cross buffs to achieve a polished look...

Founder of
post #78 of 721 Old 10-24-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of people will stop after 120 grit cartridge rolls which is perfectly fine, but taking it to that next level by polishing with cross buffs removes the deeper scratches and glue marks left behind from the cartridge rolls and blends it all into a smooth finish.

The exhaust ports will get a similar treatment to keep hot gasses moving at max velocity. The intake ports will only get the 120 grit cartridge rolls for the final finish since you need to leave some texture to the walls to promote air / fuel mixture. The air flow velocity of a mirrored finish port compared to a rough textured port is within 1%, so going any further than a cross buff (polishing compounds and bits) is a waste of time.

Founder of

post #79 of 721 Old 10-24-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

After the chambers are finished I will work on the neck down to the valve guide to smooth out the ridiculous rough casting marks, then blend around the guide to reduce obstruction and better direct flow.

Founder of
post #80 of 721 Old 10-24-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at mopar performance swirl polished tulip valves...

P5249877 1.97" intake
P5249876 1.64" exhaust
Attached Images

Founder of
post #81 of 721 Old 10-24-2014, 07:53 PM
B52dude
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Man, I'm really enjoying the amount of detail in this build. Keep it up! I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
i think we should chase him around with yjs, its like being chased by zombies, slow, crippled but for some reason still scary as heck lol
Red Jeep Club #614
post #82 of 721 Old 10-24-2014, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52dude View Post
Man, I'm really enjoying the amount of detail in this build. Keep it up! I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Thank you my friend, it gets a lot better from here on out

Founder of
post #83 of 721 Old 10-26-2014, 08:52 AM
97tjeff
2008 JK Wrangler 

That engine is coming along nicely bro! Let me know if you need a hand. I FINALLY ordered the lift for my JK the other day...so I'll finally be able to wheel again. We need to catch up soon.
post #84 of 721 Old 10-26-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97tjeff View Post
That engine is coming along nicely bro! Let me know if you need a hand. I FINALLY ordered the lift for my JK the other day...so I'll finally be able to wheel again. We need to catch up soon.
Jeff! Thank you my friend! We need to catch up soon brother... i'll be texting you today

Founder of
post #85 of 721 Old 10-26-2014, 10:16 PM
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Holy hell man, between doing a top end swap on a buddy's jeep last week, and seeing this, it's seriously making me want to get back to work on mine.

I've got to say, you are doing some nice work on those combustion chambers, may want to CC those chambers before you get too far. If you are going through that much trouble, might as well make sure they are all the same size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
I just purchased some standard abrasive cross buffs from summit racing. 20 medium grit and 20 very fine, all 1" diameter. These will transform the chambers into an ultra bling polished finish, even moreso than what I posted previously.

I have 3/4" med grit powerhouse cross buffs will aluminum oxide material that helped get the semi-bling finish currently, but the larger buffs will finish the job much better and remove those small fine scratches.
You got a part number on those for me?

96 XJ:

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
***** inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
post #86 of 721 Old 10-27-2014, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post
Holy hell man, between doing a top end swap on a buddy's jeep last week, and seeing this, it's seriously making me want to get back to work on mine.

I've got to say, you are doing some nice work on those combustion chambers, may want to CC those chambers before you get too far. If you are going through that much trouble, might as well make sure they are all the same size.

You got a part number on those for me?
ROD! How are you doing my friend?! You still building your stroker? I remember you starting your 4.7L and collecting parts a couple years ago.

I definitely will cc the chambers since I'm not just removing the rough cast but I'm also unshrouding the valves to accommodate larger valve diameters and I'm slightly reshaping the chambers to improve the air flow. I will wait until after the valve job since the valve seats will be recessed and the head will be milled to regain compression.

The standard form of these chambers are ridiculous.. rough cast, no room around the valves, and choppy bowl design. I'm addressing all of these flaws.

Here's the links for those cross buffs from summit racing...

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sai-265022

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sai-265024

Founder of
post #87 of 721 Old 10-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Cuder

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, I want to build a stroker some day.

My Build Thread:

post #88 of 721 Old 10-27-2014, 01:47 PM
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
ROD! How are you doing my friend?! You still building your stroker? I remember you starting your 4.7L and collecting parts a couple years ago.

I definitely will cc the chambers since I'm not just removing the rough cast but I'm also unshrouding the valves to accommodate larger valve diameters and I'm slightly reshaping the chambers to improve the air flow. I will wait until after the valve job since the valve seats will be recessed and the head will be milled to regain compression.

The standard form of these chambers are ridiculous.. rough cast, no room around the valves, and choppy bowl design. I'm addressing all of these flaws.

Here's the links for those cross buffs from summit racing...

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sai-265022

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sai-265024
Yeah, still got it stitting on an engine stand. All my plans changed when I got married, go figure. My Comanche is gone, too big of a project now, and I've decided if I build a other trail rig, it's going to be a buggy.

The rig I have now won't see much off road, tired of DDing a trail rig, too high maintenance, may play with this one in the dunes and fire roads, built for go-fast stuff and minimal body damage. So the engine needed to be toned down a little for more street use.

96 XJ:

Quote:
***** inches...
post #89 of 721 Old 10-27-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
Nice, I want to build a stroker some day.
Do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan View Post

Yeah, still got it stitting on an engine stand. All my plans changed when I got married, go figure. My Comanche is gone, too big of a project now, and I've decided if I build a other trail rig, it's going to be a buggy.

The rig I have now won't see much off road, tired of DDing a trail rig, too high maintenance, may play with this one in the dunes and fire roads, built for go-fast stuff and minimal body damage. So the engine needed to be toned down a little for more street use.
So did you finish building the stroker? Possible buggy engine or v8 route when that time comes?

Founder of
post #90 of 721 Old 10-27-2014, 07:57 PM
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I would at least have it assembled by now, but the instructor in my engines class that was supposed to do the machine work for free, sat on it for almost a year and a half and didn't touch it once. So, I still need to find a machine shop that I feel comfortable doing the work. Either way, it will eventually end up in the prerunner, hopefully a project for next fall?

As for a buggy, I want to build some sort of LS motor, so much potential.....

96 XJ:

Quote:
***** inches...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in