B2CARPEN's 2000 Jeep TJ 4.7L Stroker Build - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 721 Old 01-25-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

In case anyone else is planning on a stroker, I would highly recommend these Scat rods regardless if you also plan to run boost or not. The main feature of these rods is the rod bolts, replacing the factory style rod studs / nuts. The main reason for rod failure is usually caused by the studs stretching enough for the nuts to come loose and separate the rod caps which keep the rods connected to the crank. These rod bolts will do a much better job holding the rod end caps to the crank and will reduce the chances of failure. Just wanted to share my thoughts on this difference with the Scat rods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founder of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 721 Old 01-25-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Using my felpro gasket as a reference, here's what I will be dealing with on the port side of this head. I won't be using this gasket since the new headers come with a new gasket with much larger exhaust openings, but the intake openings should match up the same. I will be ordering a header this week so I have the correct gasket to reference.

I will be VERY conservative with my port work to maintain high viscosity and prevent break throughs. Just gasket matching the intake openings and cleaning up the port walls will gain substantial cfms, as you can see how rough the casting is.

Founder of
post #303 of 721 Old 01-25-2015, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

One thing to mention, the 0331 heads have smaller exhaust ports compared to older model cylinder heads for emission purposes and to quickly warm up pre-cats that are located right after the headers. Fortunately for me, my jeep did not come with the pre-cats since it's a 2000 and pre-cats weren't used until late 2002 I believe. So there's lots to gain from opening up those small exhaust ports.

Founder of

post #304 of 721 Old 01-25-2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got a few pics of all 6 chambers finished...

Founder of
post #305 of 721 Old 01-25-2015, 09:45 PM
99TJSahara

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The head looks great, can't wait to see this running, keep up the good work Brad!

-Joey

04 Grand Cherokee Overland

-sold
post #306 of 721 Old 01-25-2015, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSahara View Post
The head looks great, can't wait to see this running, keep up the good work Brad!
Appreciate that Joey, thanks for the positive feedback! Dude i cant wait either, getting closer day by day. The chambers were slow going due to the insane complexity and my learning curve, but this project is going to move along much quicker from here on out. Its good to hear from you and hope you are well.

Founder of
post #307 of 721 Old 01-25-2015, 11:13 PM
Rebel442

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looks awesome. Such a good feeling to see the project finally progressing isn't it?

It Wouldn't Be A Project If Everything Worked Right.
post #308 of 721 Old 01-26-2015, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Getting started on the intake ports...

Already you can see how nice those carbides remove all that rough cast. Still have a lot to go for this particular port but I'm thinking about keeping the intake ports unfinished since the fuel needs some texture for atomization. On the other hand, the exhaust ports will have a nice smooth finish similar to the combustion chambers.

Founder of
post #309 of 721 Old 01-26-2015, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel442 View Post
Looks awesome. Such a good feeling to see the project finally progressing isn't it?
Thanks Jon and yes it feels great to move onto the next step. Wish the next step was starting it up lol.

Founder of
post #310 of 721 Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I am having a difficult time deciding on which headers I want to go with, but most importantly old one piece 3-2-1 design or the two piece 3-1 ; 3-1 to a 2-1 downpipe... I know the old design was primarily for the older cylinder head designs so mounting is a factor, and the one piece design is also known to crack. My year engine came with the two piece design headers without the pre-cats so besides fitment concerns I realistically could go either way,

I am leaning towards the 2 piece design but it's a fact that the 3-2-1 headers flow better and will be easier to modify the flange and run a single 2.5" or 3.0" downpipe and exhaust. With the two piece headers i know that I will need to have a 2-1 downpipe fab'd up with either a 2.5"or 3" outlet to cross under the oil pan and run along the passenger side. Its more work and time and $$ but might be the best option since the two piece design it's less crack prone.

I really like JBA's two piece design because of their collectors, smooth and large design before the flanges. Banks torque tube headers are up there with my options as well, just looks like a well designed piece.

Let me know what you guys think and recommend.

Founder of
post #311 of 721 Old 01-28-2015, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Made some progress on my first intake port, I still have more work to do around the valve guide boss but the port is pretty much finished...

Here you can see the difference between the two intake valve guide bosses...

Here's how light reflects down the port, not bad considering the surface is still rough...

Founder of
post #312 of 721 Old 01-28-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Took the gasket to the intake manifold and noticed that the intake runners are smaller than the port openings on the head. This is good which prevents a ledge from existing when the two are paired together, but I think I'm going to open up the intake runners slightly to take advantage of the larger ports on the head. I will still keep the manifold runners smaller than the intake ports to keep the transition smooth, and there's not as much material that can be removed on the manifold anyway.

Founder of
post #313 of 721 Old 01-31-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got this 2 speed electric volvo fan in the mail yesterday from a fellow jf member. Comes with the wiring harness and relay to make install much easier, except it looks like I will need to replace the center clip since the wire insulation is crumbling.

I saw my buddy Jon's volvo fan setup he installed in his YJ and I loved it... actually, Jon would you mind taking a few pics of your fan and shroud setup?

This e-fan will contribute to lightening the load from the crankshaft rotational assembly, along with my forged rods and pistons, lightweight 258 crankshaft, and possibly an aluminum or lightweight flywheel. This will result in faster and higher revs, less stress on the rotational components, and more power.

Founder of
post #314 of 721 Old 01-31-2015, 01:20 PM
Rebel442

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ill try and get a few pics tonight for you. Ive also got an extra relay and the harness clips you can have too. You've got the Volvo fan are you gonna try and put together a custom shroud or source the stock Volvo one? the yard in Gurnee had lots last I was there. Just remember Torx sockets the shroud is held in with them and I didn't bring any. Got lucky and got them out with needle nose vise grips.

It Wouldn't Be A Project If Everything Worked Right.
post #315 of 721 Old 01-31-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel442 View Post
Ill try and get a few pics tonight for you. Ive also got an extra relay and the harness clips you can have too. You've got the Volvo fan are you gonna try and put together a custom shroud or source the stock Volvo one? the yard in Gurnee had lots last I was there. Just remember Torx sockets the shroud is held in with them and I didn't bring any. Got lucky and got them out with needle nose vise grips.
Wow that was a fast reply, I'm impressed lol. Still undecided on the shroud, I might try and make one out of aluminum plate or grab a volvo shroud like you did. Looking fw to seeing some pics of yours again, it's setup nicely. Thanks Jon!

Founder of

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in