B2CARPEN's 2000 Jeep TJ 4.7L Stroker Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 721 Old 10-01-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here's the culprit, piston #6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founder of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 721 Old 10-01-2014, 04:24 PM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

F'in #6....

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
Bought/Wheeled/Sold: 85 CJ, 79 FSJ, 05 LJ, 06 WK
post #18 of 721 Old 10-01-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The block and head are now in good hands at Speed Performance CNC machine shop in Wauconda IL, Tony is an amazing guy who has been in the machining and engine building business for 25+ years and knows his ****. Not only will this engine be machined to perfection, but it will also look badass once I rebuild it, paint it and drop it back into a clean and painted engine bay.

Founder of

post #19 of 721 Old 10-01-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I will get back to posting more of the tear down pics shortly

Founder of
post #20 of 721 Old 10-01-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here's pics of the combustion chambers and valve seats of the head after being degreased then power washed. It will even look better after a good port and polish and bead blast. I'm still figuring out what cam, valves, and springs I'm going to run, but not worried about that quite yet...

Founder of
post #21 of 721 Old 10-01-2014, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It was this point that I decided to pull the block and go the stroker route. If you are just rebuilding your 4.0L or going nuts building a torque monster stroker you should ALWAYS send your block, head, connecting rods and pistons, crank, and anything else associated with your build to a machine shop for proper inspection, cleaning, machining, and balancing.

The tolerances are within thousands of inches which take special tools and gauges to figure out, so taking your engine and components to a machine shop is a must! It is money well spent and foolish to skip this step. Just my two cents.

Here's the jeep with the front grill removed to make life so much better when removing the block from the trans...

Engine hoist in position and attached to 4 head bolts on each corner of the deck...

Founder of
post #22 of 721 Old 10-01-2014, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Removed all the bolts attached from the trans (NV).. there are 4 of those bolts connected to the engine and the top two are E12 6 point star bolts and a complete ***** to remove. I ended up removing the motor mounts first so I could lower the block and trans to gain better access to those two upper bolts. After stripping the daylights out of them, I went for a different approach lol..

With the heads of those bolts cut off, the rest threaded out by hand. Then the block carefully was pulled apart from the trans. I used a ratchet strap around the frame rails under the trans to support it while the block was out.

Founder of
post #23 of 721 Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Setting up the engine stand and getting it into position, removed the clutch, pressure plate, and fly wheel while hanging from the hoist. You have to try and torque the bolts off the fly wheel while preventing the crank from spinning and the block from swinging around.. fun times.

Founder of
post #24 of 721 Old 10-02-2014, 12:17 AM
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Setting up the engine stand and getting it into position, removed the clutch, pressure plate, and fly wheel while hanging from the hoist. You have to try and torque the bolts off the fly wheel while preventing the crank from spinning and the block from swinging around.. fun times.

Looks like my past weekend with a L-226.

Anyway good to see you back after lurking for what seems like eons!

2008 JK Rubicon
-255/80/17 BFG KM2s, 16/59 JKU springs, 2013 Rubi rims, RC stubby hybrid front bumper, XRC8 winch with synthetic line, RR evap skid, and more to come

1959 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Plantation White and Presidential Red

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen
post #25 of 721 Old 10-02-2014, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post

Looks like my past weekend with a L-226.

Anyway good to see you back after lurking for what seems like eons!
Lol funny that you noticed I have been lurking and seldomly posting here and there.. It is good to be back writing my own posts with some progress. This stroker build is by far my favorite mod to date

Founder of
post #26 of 721 Old 10-02-2014, 07:51 AM
shaned64
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This is looking awesome man!
post #27 of 721 Old 10-02-2014, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaned64 View Post
This is looking awesome man!
I agree! Thank you! Just wait till you see some of the goodies that are waiting to be installed

Founder of
post #28 of 721 Old 10-02-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

This is what a rear engine oil leak looks like Most likely from the valve cover, the rear main seal was fine and not an issue.

Clutch and flywheel look amazing and in great shape considering I have never changed the clutch in all my years of owning this jeep, about 100k miles. There's no way to know if it was changed out prior to my ownership but from what I hear about the stock clutches, I'm suspecting this to be the original... which is absolutely amazing.

I will be resurfacing the flywheel and most likely going with an OEM replacement clutch since they have been known to hold up even with stroker motors.

Founder of
post #29 of 721 Old 10-02-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

With the block on the stand, I removed the harmonic dampener, timing gear cover, cam bolt, sprocket and chain, and camshaft retainer plate. Then the camshaft can be removed AFTER you remove the oil distributor since it operates off the camshaft distributor gear.

The camshaft was in excellent condition considering the mileage and that every single lifter was collapsed.

Founder of
post #30 of 721 Old 10-02-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Next I flipped the block upside down and removed the main bearing caps and the crank. You can see from these pics how clean the crank and inside of the block was for as many hard miles this motor has seen. Using the right motor oil and more than frequent changes paid off...

Crankshaft removed...

Founder of

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in