B2CARPEN's 2000 Jeep TJ 4.7L Stroker Build - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 721 Old 11-16-2014, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I've been matching chambers 1 - 4 with my second revisions and I'm realizing how ridiculous my prior cuts were lol. You can tell from some of my prior pics how wavy and uneven the walls were after polishing, especially the pitch from the valve seat to the outer parameters.

Rod, you might want to start with making small adjustments at slower speeds to really get a feel for the carbides, especially when transitioning from the 3 and 9 o'clock positions to the back side of the chambers. I will take some pics to show what I'm talking about in a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founder of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 721 Old 11-16-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a screen shot of an estimated compression calculation based on my build. Notice I dropped the gasket thickness from 0.042 to 0.032 to account for decking 0.010 from the cylinder head. Assuming my chambers end up at 62cc's after decking the head, I'm looking at an estimated static compression ratio of 9.7:1 and a dynamic compression ratio of 8.5:1. This will change based on my final chamber volume (polished w/ valve job) but I'm within my target goal

Founder of
post #168 of 721 Old 11-16-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If I leave the quench at 0.042 and drop the chamber cc's to 60 (based on decking the head results) I end up with the same results.

Founder of

post #169 of 721 Old 11-16-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Matching and reshaping the chambers, notice how I did a better job keeping the walls even and smooth...

Founder of
post #170 of 721 Old 11-16-2014, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sanding and polishing does wonders... almost finished with chamber #4...

Founder of
post #171 of 721 Old 11-17-2014, 10:18 PM
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
How has your jasper experience been so far? I've heard both good and bad reviews depending on the type of engine (haven't heard much about their 4.0L).

I would love to dissect a jasper, golen, hesco, and especial Titan engine and compare their internal components and machining work. Those two factors alone make all the difference.

For some, the convenience of a crate engine is the only option, but you are always taking a gamble with mass produced anything.
want to start off by saying im enjoying your thread, id also like to see the jeep this motor is going into, so feel free to link it !

i have about 1500 miles on my jasper as of today. runs great, good mpg i pulled 16mpg and 250 miles out of the tank last week (35s 4:10s). this current tank not so well but man has it been windy and i was a bit heavy on the pedal yesterday lol.

i had spoke to titan, and then read horrible reviews here and on pirate 4x4 about their motors. titan offered a "performance 4.0" with a cam and a milled head for higher compression. i read horror storys and pretty much non existent customer service.

i spoke to hesco but they informed me they no longer do stokers...

i had a long discussion with the owner of golen, he seemed very knowledgeable and ive read some really good things about his motors and read nothing bad about his customer service. he insisted all i needed to do was to run bigger injectors. but i had read many people stating they had difficulty getting the stroker motors to run perfectly. some people ran bigger injectors and also had to up the fuel pressure, some had to add a controller/piggyback to the ecu to control the timing. despite what golen insisted on i didn't want to find my self between a rock and a hard place (no pun intended) with my jeeps tuning. i've been there and done that with full standalones on my street cars, and its only as good as the guy tuning it. long story short tuning didn't seem as plug and play.

so as you stated the convenience and the warranty is what sold me with the jasper, that and the 3 year unlimited warranty. its my daily driver and ive been there done that with high performance builds. ive read only good things about jaspers customer service, and a few mechanics ive spoken to said, they've used them many times over the years with great success and the few times there was an issue jasper took care of it with no problems.

so with that being said im very curious and interested in what you do for tuning this bad *** motor your building. you are very well spoken and detail oriented so i hope you can lay to rest some of the missing info and give a solid "what to do."

also very interested in what you plan on doing for a header/exhaust combo and im going to assume your just going to run the typical cai system the majority of us run.

having said that, coming from high performance fwd cars i was surprised there wasnt much concrete (dyno) info or numbers one what "xxx'' bolt on mods do for our motors. no one has a back to back dyno number for say a banks header or this header and exhausts etc. something i hope to accomplish down the road, back to back dyno testing with a header and exhaust.

looking foward very much to this build

stratton.
post #172 of 721 Old 11-18-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON View Post

want to start off by saying im enjoying your thread, id also like to see the jeep this motor is going into, so feel free to link it !

i have about 1500 miles on my jasper as of today. runs great, good mpg i pulled 16mpg and 250 miles out of the tank last week (35s 4:10s). this current tank not so well but man has it been windy and i was a bit heavy on the pedal yesterday lol.

i had spoke to titan, and then read horrible reviews here and on pirate 4x4 about their motors. titan offered a "performance 4.0" with a cam and a milled head for higher compression. i read horror storys and pretty much non existent customer service.

i spoke to hesco but they informed me they no longer do stokers...

i had a long discussion with the owner of golen, he seemed very knowledgeable and ive read some really good things about his motors and read nothing bad about his customer service. he insisted all i needed to do was to run bigger injectors. but i had read many people stating they had difficulty getting the stroker motors to run perfectly. some people ran bigger injectors and also had to up the fuel pressure, some had to add a controller/piggyback to the ecu to control the timing. despite what golen insisted on i didn't want to find my self between a rock and a hard place (no pun intended) with my jeeps tuning. i've been there and done that with full standalones on my street cars, and its only as good as the guy tuning it. long story short tuning didn't seem as plug and play.

so as you stated the convenience and the warranty is what sold me with the jasper, that and the 3 year unlimited warranty. its my daily driver and ive been there done that with high performance builds. ive read only good things about jaspers customer service, and a few mechanics ive spoken to said, they've used them many times over the years with great success and the few times there was an issue jasper took care of it with no problems.

so with that being said im very curious and interested in what you do for tuning this bad *** motor your building. you are very well spoken and detail oriented so i hope you can lay to rest some of the missing info and give a solid "what to do."

also very interested in what you plan on doing for a header/exhaust combo and im going to assume your just going to run the typical cai system the majority of us run.

having said that, coming from high performance fwd cars i was surprised there wasnt much concrete (dyno) info or numbers one what "xxx'' bolt on mods do for our motors. no one has a back to back dyno number for say a banks header or this header and exhausts etc. something i hope to accomplish down the road, back to back dyno testing with a header and exhaust.

looking foward very much to this build

stratton.
Wow thank you for the great feedback and details pertaining to my prior post.. I definitely plan on building this stroker right and I will be sure to cover my tuning plans when that time comes, but I can assure you that I've done my homework and know what I need to do for my particular engine.

As for manufactures, I agree with you on all accounts, especially with Titan and their terrible reputation I'm really surprised hesco said they stopped making stroker engines, that's their specialty! Are you sure you heard them correctly? At least they still support the stroker market with top notch quality parts.

I'm glad to hear your jasper engine it's running strong. The convenience of a stock drop in replacement engine with a nice warranty package is definitely a nice peace of mind.

As for me, my plan is to build this stroker as strong and dependable as possible... there might possibly be plans for forced induction some time in the not so near future :shh:

Thanks for the excitement for my build, it reminds me to be excited as well and look forward to future progress

As requested, here's some pics of my jeep from my JF and phone gallery...

Next to my audi s4...

Founder of
post #173 of 721 Old 11-18-2014, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Forgot about this one... older pic @ badlands Indiana. My draglink was bent in this pic and you can see how the front tires are angled inward lol (thanks Mike for the spare draglink!)...

Draglink, not trackbar...

Founder of
post #174 of 721 Old 11-18-2014, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Edit above... bent draglink not track bar, sorry lack of sleep.

Founder of
post #175 of 721 Old 11-19-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Due to the extreme cold I've been hibernating indoors and not even bothering being in the garage even with my remington heater. The temps should be increasing in the next day or so then I will get back out there again soon. It was 8* the other day

Founder of
post #176 of 721 Old 11-23-2014, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Back at it again all evening and night, I should have some pics of the other chambers as I wrap up v2 revisions.

Founder of
post #177 of 721 Old 11-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Still have the S4? Nice, clean B5's are so tough to come by.

OlllllllO

IndyORV
post #178 of 721 Old 11-26-2014, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Still have the S4? Nice, clean B5's are so tough to come by.
Indeed I sure do, and I agree they are far and few between. It is currently sitting stationary in my driveway since the jeep is taking up the garage, but once the stroker motor is built and back in the jeep, then they will switch spots.

Right now the S4 needs some serious work... has a coolant leak from an undisclosed location, pass side turbo is on it's way out (original K03s with 170k miles), torque converter seal is bad causing the CEL to stay on (very common for b5s), and i think the passenger side precat is bad.

Otherwise, the S4 has lot's of potential and was problem free for years. My plans for the S4 once the stroker build is complete are the following...

- pull engine
- find coolant leak
- replace turbos with stage 3+ twin 605 tial turbos
- trans swap... I hate driving semi auto transmissions
- true twin exhaust (removing precats from the equation)
- coilovers, 18" BBS LMs

The car is actually in mint shape with a stage 1 tune, but I'm looking at another big project in the future with this car. It will be much cheaper to just fix the issues and not go full stage 3, but what fun is that

Founder of
post #179 of 721 Old 11-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice, that'll be awesome once complete. I'm a fool for Germans.....got passed by a 1 Series M yesterday.

OlllllllO

IndyORV
post #180 of 721 Old 11-26-2014, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I'm a fool for Germans.....got passed by a 1 Series M yesterday.
Definitely agree with you, german cars are solid and very beautiful. The craftmanship is not even comparable to american cars, very artistic and perfect. However, these german cars are highly engineered and very complex compared to your standard car, which makes maintenance much more difficult and expensive. For example, I can't gain access to my turbos without pulling the motor. Same with trying to find where my coolant leak is coming from, not enough room to look around and that 2.7L 90* V6 twin turbo is a huge engine for that little compartment.

Those 1 series BMWs are so sexy

Founder of

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in