ARTEC Beta Kit/Superduty TJ 1 Ton Swap/40's - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 136 Old 02-11-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I am a lone wolf for the most part on my rig. Not many have seen it in my wheeling circles. I have posted a few photos but my buddy came over to help and wanted me to take a perspective photo. I'm 6'1 260lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 136 Old 02-11-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

YAY!!!
Frontier4x4.com came through as usual. Luke is awesome to work with and communication was top notch. If you ever need anything call Luke.

Atlas

Atlas compared to my 231

shifter build up, laid everything out and inventoried

We got it basically in, I am not sure what to do on the trans crossmember yet. Any input from anyone?
scotch737 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 136 Old 02-12-2017, 06:43 AM
scotch737

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yeah.. I could save you a lot of trouble if you just sent that my way... I'm positive it'll fit in my Jeep just fine LOL. Making my cross member with 1.75" tubing with bushings on each end to tabs welded inside frame. Still removable and flat belly=best belly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
At least they have perfected boob jobs. You can't even tell anymore. That's one good thing.
My TJ-6 LS swap Build:

post #79 of 136 Old 02-13-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I will keep you in mind if I can't get it mounted... but I'm sure I'll get it in. I am just ready to go for a cruise in it.
scotch737 likes this.

post #80 of 136 Old 02-21-2017, 07:49 PM
czing
1993 ZJ 

Wow - a lot of time put into this so far. I have the Artec Truss TJ conversions coming for my ZJ and am installing on a set of '05 Ford Superduty Axles (Dana 60 HP Front, Sterling 10.5" Rear). I'll be following along to see what other cool modifications or tricks I can learn! Excellent write up.
post #81 of 136 Old 02-22-2017, 07:08 PM
scotch737

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
After watching and reading your thread 5k times.. I'm going Sunday to pick up front and rear axles out of a 07' superduty.. got them very cheap... My wife is cursing you behind me at this very moment And they have 4.10's which i'll be reusing. But adding lockers. Thanks for the motivation. Guess I'm going to build these 44's I have and sell them. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
At least they have perfected boob jobs. You can't even tell anymore. That's one good thing.
My TJ-6 LS swap Build:

post #82 of 136 Old 03-05-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by czing View Post
Wow - a lot of time put into this so far. I have the Artec Truss TJ conversions coming for my ZJ and am installing on a set of '05 Ford Superduty Axles (Dana 60 HP Front, Sterling 10.5" Rear). I'll be following along to see what other cool modifications or tricks I can learn! Excellent write up.
Thank you, I am a huge ZJ fan. I've had a lot over the years. Look up my build War Wagon on here. I ran the snot out of that thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch737 View Post
After watching and reading your thread 5k times.. I'm going Sunday to pick up front and rear axles out of a 07' superduty.. got them very cheap... My wife is cursing you behind me at this very moment And they have 4.10's which i'll be reusing. But adding lockers. Thanks for the motivation. Guess I'm going to build these 44's I have and sell them. Oh well.
< this is the face I have when I know I can inspire another mans wife to curse me.... Cause mine is for sure on this project. 4:10's stock is impressive. Take your time. This swap has doubled my early budget. But I just can't justify half assing it. I'm really excited I could be of help. There for awhile I was thinking no one was looking at this. I wasn't asking if I should paint my grille black and stuff like that so not tons of traffic.

ON TO UPDATES:!!!
well...ummm... work. I am in the bicycle industry, the minute good weather shows it's head its go time for me. We are having an early spring in IA so work has been wild, but fun. The Jeep has been a bit slow but still making progress. Photbucket is not working right now but I will update this evening.

post #83 of 136 Old 03-05-2017, 08:39 AM
ElkyRacer
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm lurking. I'm trying to keep tabs on all of the Artec SD60 builds, as I have close to everything I need to get started. As soon as the stock axles sell I'll dive in. Currently trying to plan out how to stretch the front about 2 inches to keep the 40s out of the back of the fenders without a buttload of work. I figure I'll stick with coils for a while, until I can swing a set of coilovers, so obviously I don't want to put a lot of time in moving stuff around.

It always takes longer/costs more than planned!
xgerstandtx likes this.
post #84 of 136 Old 03-05-2017, 07:27 PM
chipflyer67
1978 CJ7 

Good work!
xgerstandtx likes this.

Jeff
post #85 of 136 Old 03-05-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkyRacer View Post
I'm lurking. I'm trying to keep tabs on all of the Artec SD60 builds, as I have close to everything I need to get started. As soon as the stock axles sell I'll dive in. Currently trying to plan out how to stretch the front about 2 inches to keep the 40s out of the back of the fenders without a buttload of work. I figure I'll stick with coils for a while, until I can swing a set of coilovers, so obviously I don't want to put a lot of time in moving stuff around.

It always takes longer/costs more than planned!
I understand. Hopefully my build is a better one. I try keeping on it, but sometimes it just flows to quick. I moved my axle as far as I could while using the modded WJ pitman arm. I assume I'm approx 1.5'' forward. The WJ pitman arm is an absolute necassary. TJ arms are just not long enough to even get close to tapping into the steering on these axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipflyer67 View Post
Good work!
Thanks man! I am loving it and hating it all at the same time

post #86 of 136 Old 03-05-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATES

Track width. I was not happy with how wide the front/rear was. I needed a bit more space wheel to frame and just to give stability for the trails hopefully I'll be pointing this down.
I went with a super inexpensive option, 2'' Ebay special wheel spacers. Seemed to be good quality compared to the nicer ones i have used in the past. Gives me a better stance for sure.

Worked on steering a bunch.
Needed to finalize the hydro assist mount and run it through the paces. The stock TJ pitman arm was not long enough. I am running a WJ arm that is long as I can fit in the location by the track bar. The "timing" is off on the WJ I was able to cut the splines and file with a triangular file, this gave infinite options.

Welded up the hydro mounts on tie rod and am happy with steering throw.

SO the Crossmember.
This thing almost had me beat. I racked my brain how cram everything under with the atlas, exhaust and use my high clearance skid. I thought I had tried everything and every combination. I even went as far as trying out the stock skid on there to see how that fits.
I basically ponied up to GenRight and ordered their Universal Crossmember kit for the TJ ish vehicles. It's simple and it works. I had to do no exhaust monkeying around and was able to use my High clearance skid from Barnes4wd.

Easy day and recommend this to everyone. (I wasted like 10 hours before i ordered this)

87TPIYJ and scotch737 like this.

post #87 of 136 Old 03-05-2017, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Front fenders

Messed around with lots of ideas of cutting back of fenders for the front. Nothing got me excited so I just did it. These are Undercover fab works DIY fender kit I installed last year. I like the look and they were easy to build. My buddy painted them last year for me.
The 40's were just a bit close to the back and i will just welcome some more room up there. Drew out a couple lines and here we are.
before:

AFTER:

a few well placed cuts and I think I am going to be able to maintain the factory inner fender wells. Removing them is not an option as Iowa mud is nasty stuff.

THe battery mount has been another headache. I looked and looked and was not happy with either the Genright/Poison spyder mounts. I even looked at MetalCloak.
I decided to move the fuseblock forward a few inches and make my own mount.
I am using a Ruffstuff battery box I picked up awhile ago. I'll get better pics of it as I ran out of welding wire tonight to finish up the braces and what not.

My buddy just did the back half frame on his TJ and saved me these Barnes 4wd shock mounts. I'm not excited about frenching them in the frame but I have plenty of clearance to mount them on the outside of the frame. Out came the grinder and I am ultra happy with these. Once again out of welding wire so just mocking in place til I get new shocks and a few things in from ordering.

post #88 of 136 Old 03-07-2017, 08:03 PM
ElkyRacer
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
I understand. Hopefully my build is a better one. I try keeping on it, but sometimes it just flows to quick. I moved my axle as far as I could while using the modded WJ pitman arm. I assume I'm approx 1.5'' forward. The WJ pitman arm is an absolute necassary. TJ arms are just not long enough to even get close to tapping into the steering on these axles

Thanks man! I am loving it and hating it all at the same time
I'm planning on moving my steering box forward to clear the stretch. I just don't want to have to move the spring buckets on the frame. I think I'll be able to get away with what I want to do without doing that tho.
post #89 of 136 Old 03-13-2017, 11:17 PM
AJ1

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good. Thanks for sharing. I haven't seen many superduty 60 swaps retaining standard coils, seems like everyone was saying there wasn't enough room on drivers side.
post #90 of 136 Old 03-14-2017, 09:01 PM
GIJOEL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was surprised when I saw that the Artec kit would allow Coil Springs. They did a real good job packaging the truss, spring seats, link mounts, and track bar mounts with minimal cutting of the cast section.

It makes it so much easier when you don't have to Fab up something to get it to work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in