ARTEC Beta Kit/Superduty TJ 1 Ton Swap/40's - JeepForum.com
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 136 Old 10-24-2016, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ARTEC Beta Kit/Superduty TJ 1 Ton Swap/40's

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************
So photobucket sucks.
If you want to view my pictures in these and all threads do this:

Use Google Chrome.
Google search: Photobucket Embedded Image Fix
Install that plugin
upper right side you will gain a "P"
It takes just an extra second to load your page but all the images will be there.
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************

I was chosen by Artec Industries to BETA test their brand new TJ/XJ/ZJ Superduty swap kit. This kit utilizes a 05+ Superduty D60 High pinion axle. These axles are pure beef. 35 spline inner and outer axles, 3:73 gear ratio, Unit bearings, Balljoints. I know some people out there want to put down the Uni bearings and ball joints, but you really just have to put your hands on these. They are easy to find, a lot easier the KP D60 HP axles. The unit bearings, are easy to change and super servicable. The brakes are larger and going to stop my TJ with ease.

I've built my share or Rigs, https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-wagon-939083/

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...it-tj-1553317/

I started a build thread but got lost and mixed up in the mess and just didn't up date it. SO let me fill you in where the TJ is starting life:
97 TJ
4.7 ATK stroker
3.5'' springs/spacers
Custom Triangulate rear 4 link, Barnes4wd ends
Custom 3 link front
TNT trackbar
D30 ARB 4:10 gears chromo axles
D44 from rubicon 4:10
35'' MTR K's
A whole bunch more but I won't bore you with that.

I wheeled it all over the midwest and Moab in the last two years in this trim. It went and goes everywhere. But a guy always wants a bit more....

Planned winter upgrades:
06 Superduty D60, 5:38 gears, Spartan 35 spline locker, Barnes 4wd Chevy 1 ton steering, Ballistic diff cover, PSC hydro assist

14 bolt rear end, 5:38 gears, detroit locker ARTEC brackets, Barnes Disc brake coversion

40'' tires Micky Thompson MTZ P3 40x13.5 R17 (ordered today)

Hummer H2 Wheels

Stretch rear end ~8'' withOUT full comp cut

Pics of where she is starting

Those are SMORR and Moab. Love it. On to the Break down of the Superduty axle. We call it the Monster truck axle around here for how big and gnarly it is compared to the D30.

What I started with, Bone stock, had every tracket on it, and stock steering. She is a heavy girl

The brackets to remove are not easy. I spent about 6 hours with a grinder/oxy acetylene torch. It is a bit of work and it just takes caution. The right side was super easy. Very straight forward. I cut off all the brackets with the oxy torch. The track bar bracket was 1'' thick.

THe left side is the interesting part. This cast does not cut well, You need to be patient and cut carefully. I cut and prepped this mostly before the truss kit came. The exposed tubing is minimal because of the cast center assembly. THe kit requires you to cut 2'' of the cast off from the tubing. It is a simple cut with a grinder. I took my time and removed it after splitting it.

ARTEC came through with the kit in a timely manner

Beautiful Packaging

This is the first Mock up after getting the truss on here. This is a builder kit and I am going to be providing feedback to ARTEC on this. They are very close to releasing this as a sweet setup. This was very close with minimal trimming.

I am going to work more on this thread tomorrow but this is an awesome start and teaser for you guys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 Old 10-24-2016, 11:12 PM
wvjeepguy81
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I talked to Artec about the TJ version if this kit almost two years ago. I'm glad to see its finally coming along.

Is Artec looking for anyone else to try this kit out? I just blew up my dana 30 gears and locker over the weekend and the Superduty axles are plentiful around here for around $600 per set.

Last edited by wvjeepguy81; 10-25-2016 at 04:44 AM.
post #3 of 136 Old 10-25-2016, 05:58 PM
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

In.

post #4 of 136 Old 10-27-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome update.
Recieved my 40x13.5 R17 tires today. These Tires are pretty intense. I went with the Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires. I have some pretty good photos.
My little man. He loves it.

Showing a comparison to some thing that all my buddies know well and that is a 27.5x 4'' MTB tire/wheel

This is the 40'' MTZ P3 compared to a 35'' MTR Kevlar

I have a set of H2 wheels I will be mounting these to in the next few days. I really couldn't keep building anything until I got these wheels/tires in my hands to cut up the TJ
post #5 of 136 Old 10-27-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Worked my tail off getting the 220v ran to the Back garage. I can't believe how much the previous owner spent on my awesome garage and didn't bother running 220 to the stinking thing. My Lincoln 210 MP is quite the hoss on 220. Smooth and picture perfect. This Truss is really fitting well. Very very minor tweaks and those have been sent to Artec. They are a super responsive company and I'm ultra impressed with their products.

This was after pre-heating the diff to approx 375 degrees then welding. I wrapped everything in a Fiberglass blanket to let the unit cool as one. A little shakey but I will continue this technique through out the diff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 136 Old 10-28-2016, 12:11 AM
LI_DSM

Sorry not to derail from the awesomeness of this thread but is this really 3.5"? Looks like its sitting lower than that
post #7 of 136 Old 10-28-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

They are from what I can tell 1.5'' OME springs with 2'' pucks on top. I think they are a bit saggy from years of use. So sure, we'll call it 3'' lift. To have the 3/4 link tucked under this with the 2'' drop skid. I've done all the hard work of building a LCG rig. Hoping i can actually only add 1'' suspension lift via springs to get the 40's to fit well.... we'll see

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI_DSM View Post
Sorry not to derail from the awesomeness of this thread but is this really 3.5"? Looks like its sitting lower than that

post #8 of 136 Old 10-29-2016, 11:21 AM
wvjeepguy81
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do you think the sterling 10.5 hangs too low to run 39s? I want the superduty front, but may go with a rear 60 and have the shafts drilled to match the front.
post #9 of 136 Old 10-29-2016, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjeepguy81 View Post
Do you think the sterling 10.5 hangs too low to run 39s? I want the superduty front, but may go with a rear 60 and have the shafts drilled to match the front.
In my opinion the 10.5 would be fine. I know it's large but I am going with a 14 bolt. They are so plentiful and inexpensive here that it's a simple choice. I'm going with a barnes4x4 shave kit. I will redrill my front to 8x6.5 vs the current 8x170. Hopefully that helps.
post #10 of 136 Old 10-30-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lots of welding time today on the front axle. This kit is awesome and well thought out. Note: the built in bumpstops/spring retainers. Sweet idea! I had a lot of preheat and welding today. I am satisfied with where it's at. Tuesday she gets mocked up under the TJ.

post #11 of 136 Old 10-31-2016, 12:17 AM
wvjeepguy81
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can't wait.

I'm going to the yard in the morning and picking out a set.
post #12 of 136 Old 11-01-2016, 06:43 PM
wvjeepguy81
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Picked out my set today. Was around $700 for both.

Picks of the 60 don't do it justice. Those radius arm mounts are massive and the knuckles are beasts.
post #13 of 136 Old 11-02-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjeepguy81 View Post
Picked out my set today. Was around $700 for both.

Picks of the 60 don't do it justice. Those radius arm mounts are massive and the knuckles are beasts.
Wait until you have to cut those brackets off... it's a full cussing job for sure. Glad you got a good deal!
post #14 of 136 Old 11-07-2016, 11:09 PM
Chiefww
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great thread!
post #15 of 136 Old 11-08-2016, 07:12 PM
jeeping99tj
1988 MJ Comanche 

Been looking at a set of these for my mj. cant wait to see it under jeep.

I currently own a 88 mj 99 conversion, 44/9 long arm.
sold 99tj 88 xj95 yj 97 xj04 wj 99 tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in