94 Restoration Build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 05-19-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
senecak19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

94 Restoration Build

I've been posting updates in another thread so I thought I'd create an actual build thread. In looking at some of the builds on here this is mild in nature. The plan is to get this poor thing back on the road. No real details other than that. I'm in the market for a new frame. Suspension will all be replaced. Wheels... well there's 2 cragers on there... probably just get 2 more. For reference, the Jeep cost me $500. As of right now, I don't have any other money in it. This thing is much cheaper then some of my other hobbies so, I'm excited to see where it takes me. If nothing else this is a learning project for me.

Here's the Jeep the day I picked it up.

Before bringing the Jeep home I had already started on a trailer project. Its pretty much done... getting the Thule rack put on shortly... but here it is...

Finally started on the Heep... gut the inside.

Somewhere in the short drive off the trailer (200ft) the frame gave way...here's the passenger rear.

Here's the driver side in front of the rear wheel...

And the driver rear...

I think this frame can be entered in the "worst of the worst" contest.

Today, the body came off. Pretty straight forward despite all the rust..

The rear is atrocious mess.

And that's where I leave you; Until I have more progress to show.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Jerbear0612
1995 ZJ 

if your good with a welder, they make repair kits for the areas of your frame where they rusted through, those are very common spots of rust through on the cj's and yj's. good luck with the build
post #3 of 32 Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 AM
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

**** id just start fresh with a TDK frame

2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

or follow us on

post #4 of 32 Old 05-20-2012, 11:41 AM
rmappelt

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Holy crap that is a lot of rust! I am so glad my Jeep has spent it's life in TX and NM and all of it's years with me. $500 is cheap, but WOW that is some serious work.

"..or you can Jeep it if you got the nerve..." - C.W. McCall, "San Juan Odyssey"

post #5 of 32 Old 05-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Kamikaze
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Subscribed. Keep up the good work.

Live Free, Laugh Loud and be Friendly.
post #6 of 32 Old 05-20-2012, 02:22 PM
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

twice as strong as OEM

http://www.throttledownkustoms.com/framesYJ.html

2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds:
and

or follow us on
post #7 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
senecak19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its been 3 days since my last update... I thought I'd be searching for weeks to find a frame in decent shape, but as luck would have it, I found a local YJ frame for sale on CL Seller was a nice guy and sold it to me for a great price. I took some diagonal measurements and it seems to be as straight as an arrow. Minimal corrosion.

Question for you fine folks. Did older YJ's come with bolt on motor mounts??? My 94 has weld on mounts. Not a big deal... just curious if I should start fabbing some up or look to buy.

Next question. The new frame comes with a metal gas tank. My 94 has a plastic gas tank. I'm thinking the plastic one is the way to go, but I keep hearing of this gas tank mod... Which would you guys use?

post #8 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
senecak19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Figured I'd share another picture of what I'm up against. Thank heavens for PB Blaster and Impact guns.

post #9 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
senecak19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have any idea what I need to do for motor mounts? My replacement frame is from a 6 cyl vehicle. My project Jeep has a 4 cyl, which I intend to keep. I'm planning on using Brown Dog products, but I'm wondering if I can "buy everything from them" or if I have to do some weld work and then "buy the basic mounts" from them?
post #10 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 09:36 PM
02crewcab

good luck with the build man! make sure to stock up on some Pb blaster haha
post #11 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 10:26 PM
castorriver

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow that's a lotta work you're taking on. Good luck with it.

Send brown dog a PM, he's here on the forum and will answer pretty fast.

Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
post #12 of 32 Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
senecak19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its been a while since I've posted, but I figured I'd share my progress...

The Jeep is fully stripped. Here's the old frame... I'm officially on the rebuild.

New frame coming out of storage

The mini powerplant and body...

Being a budget build and little off roading ahead of me... I've decided to keep these axles. Rear one getting the track bar mounts cut off.

My homemade bearing puller... yanked the bearings out in 2 seconds... no hassle.

Axle coming together

Axle Complete

I've now started on the front axle... pictures to come.
post #13 of 32 Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Mishimoto
Vendor

Did you ever decide what to do about the motor mounts?
post #14 of 32 Old 09-04-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
senecak19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes. Cut them off the old frame. Sandblasted them and coated them with some rust encapsulating paint. Then welded them on to the new frame.
post #15 of 32 Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
senecak19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's one of the mounts welded on. I must've measured 16 times to make sure I had them right.

Few others... Front Axle Its now assembled and done with new bearing assemblies, ujoints, pinion seal, brake pads and calipers.

The Jeep as it lies.

I discovered rain is my weekness. Can't sandblast outside, parts remain filthy. Was hoping to accomplish something tonight but was reluctant to stripping and painting the gas tank skid. Suspension arrives on Thursday of this week and two more matching D-window wheels are en-route. For being as bad as this Jeep was, its not all that bad to work on. Then again, I haven't touched the body yet. Who knows.s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in