2006 TJ Sport (Redheaded Mistress): After 10 Years (And the Next 10) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 Old 08-13-2016, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Funny thing, earlier this year I was reading here on JF about guys having to replace the shift cable bushing on their auto TJs at about 10 years, and I actually ordered two of them off of eBay and put them in my tool bag. Well several days ago I returned from a 3500 mile camping trip out west. The following day home I drove to a car wash to spray off the bugs, dirt and road grim, then stopped at a grocery store and picked up the mail just two blocks from my house, and then the gear shift lever just freely moved! And I knew exactly what it was…

So I first grabbed a zip tie and went under the Jeep and used it to reattach the linkage so I could at least fix in my own driveway, then once home put on the new bushing. Wow, to think I was in some isolated places in South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado, and it waited until the day after I returned home to break! I am rather surprised that Jeep used such a weak plastic part for such a commonly used function of being able to put the Jeep in and out of gear!

Here is the old and new bushing (part #68137495AA). I also put on another zip tie to further strengthen the connection point.

Other then this, I did experience some damage to my right front flare (rubbed a tree). I was actually surprised how well the stock Rubicon flare bended without causing sheet metal damage. Of course it cracked the paint. Well before this recent trip, I was actually thinking to myself that my painted flares were looking scratched up and could use repainting. But I’ll have to think about if I should repaint them (which I would have a shop paint them again being clear coated) or is it time to replace them with flat flares and go to larger tires? My MT/Rs are starting to wear down... Hum?

Here I am just last week on an isolated trail running through the woods in the South Dakota Black Hills. And the trailer followed along great! It was awesome!

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'18 4Runner Limited

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 08-15-2016, 01:18 PM
bobthetj03

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I prefer the stock fender look myself, but maybe MCE's fenders might be the way to go if you're looking for tire clearance.

Bob's boring build:

White Jeep club member #2003

post #18 of 30 Old 12-28-2016, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

As said, I had been debating if I should take the opportunity with damaging a flare to upgrade to flat flares, and then move up to 35 tires. But that would require other upgrades (costs!), and I do really like the look of stock flares and especially these Rubicon flares.

So I had a local auto body shop repaint them. Surprisingly theyve held up pretty well over the last 8 years (the front sides of the rear flares were chipped up a bit, and other scratches), and its not that much of an expense to have them repainted on occasion as they easily come off. I have thought about having them body colored matched, which I like with other Jeep colors, but Ive never been a fan of that with flame red as that's too much red, so they're again black and clear coated.

My Jeep also has a random collection of black paints, plus the front Savvy bumper which I originally painted with a flat black rattle can, which I had several times touched up. It always looked pretty rough, so I had the shop also remove it and as well paint it black and clear coat it. Once the paint cures, they gave me the name of another shop to talk to about covering it with a clear bra. I think it looks really sharp, but Im not sure what Mr. Blaine would think of it?! (haha)

Next year, some potential other upgrades to make:
  • Ive always liked my Eagle alloy wheels, however, they are not clear coated and a pain in the *** to buff. This fall I took a super fine steel wool to them and then buffed, but they'll never look as good as they did when new. Ive found some similar wheels that are clear coated, and if I do that, I may move up to 33" tires (I'll again go with Goodyear MT/Rs).
  • Remove the sliders and repaint them as theyre chipped and scratched. I may have them professionally sprayed with bed liner to match my trailer instead of my home job?
  • I have some heat shield material to install under the rear carpet as the bottom of my ice cooler gets warm on long trips.
  • Im looking at installing a rear fridge slide for my cooler, or possibly to move up to a fridge/freezer. (If so, Id also need to install a dual battery setup, and raise up the rear rack by about 3" as I'm looking at a SnoMaster 42?)

I know its shiny since I wax it (Zaino actually), which I get laughed at over. The original, thin paint is actually not as good as it looks as it has its chips and scratches.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

post #19 of 30 Old 12-28-2016, 08:10 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Grogie - I've got no problem with shiny. Looks good.

Jeff

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #20 of 30 Old 05-21-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Polished!

So a few weekends ago I spent a day and a half polishing my Jeep. As far as the newly painted flares, I still think, “What was I thinking painting them black with clear coat?!” They’ll never again look this good as they now do until their again repainted. However, they lasted pretty well over the last 9-10 years with getting peppered with dirt and mud before I finally cracked the paint on one flare last summer.

New Rear Slide Installed!

In an effort to continue to fine tune my camping setup, my biggest complaint has been dealing with my 50 qt. cooler, as it sits in the back of my Jeep under the rack. While on the road, in order to access or drain it, I have to pull it completely out, then shove it back in. Plus while braking, it tended to slide forward and hit the back of my seat. Then while camping, it would often sit in the dirt, and then I’d have to put it away at night. Just too much handling required...

So since Fall, I’ve been thinking about installing a rear slide, and as I mentioned, possibly moving up to a fridge/freezer. Also, on long trips, I noticed that with the cooler sitting just on the carpet, that its bottom was warm to the touch from the heat coming off of the tub, which I also needed to deal with that issue.

Last January I settled on a heavy duty slide made by Tembo Tusk. It’s super nice! Since then, I've spent a lot of time thinking about how I was going to mount it, and in order to not drill new holes in the tub, and in talking with the owner of Tembo Tusk for advice, I decided to build a false floor. This was my first sketch (and a drunken one at that!) on how I this was going to set up the slide! After all, it is all about having cold beer in the back of a Jeep...

To help deal with the heat issue, I bought a roll of heat-shield, and cut a square piece that I slid under the carpet. Hopefully, that will help.

I also found four heavy duty Z brackets, which took A LOT of searching, that would use the same bolts and holes that the rear seat brackets use, and got them installed, ready for the floor to mount to. (I haven’t had the rear seat in the Jeep for some time with the rear rack.)

Next, I took a board that is 31” x 28”, drilled holes to match where the Z brackets would attach, and coated the board with a spray on bed liner. I carefully, carefully measured and remeasured to make sure that the holes were right on, including for how the slide mounts to the false floor and that everything fit around it (like the tailgate closes). I took multiple trips to Lowes in search of the right bolts for everything. As far as the false floor, I have it spaced a few inches from each side of the tub so that I could easy access the Z brackets' bolts, for both attaching it, and incase I want to later remove it. The cooler does now sit a little more in the center then it use to, but that's okay as my wife and I each travel with a duffle bag, which they'll still fit next to the cooler.

The bolts for the slide, to attach to the false floor.

And it worked out! The slide works great! I did test to make sure that the floor can take a loaded cooler, and everything seems solid. The floor is completely level, as I used boards under the top board to strengthen how it sits on the carpet. I may fine tune it some, but as said I think it’s all solid. I certainly don’t plan on sitting on the slide and/or jumping on it anyway.

As far as my cooler, the door opens the wrong way (due to the drain plug), but that’s not a big deal, plus as I said, I more than likely will get the Snomaster fridge/freezer, which its lid opens on the short side. Also, my rack that hangs above may now be a bit too low with the cooler, and will hang too low for the fridge, so I am going to have to raise the height of the rack by about 3 inches (I'll just cut down the arms that it hangs from).

This really will make a nice improvement!

As far as setup for the fridge/freezer, in my trailer, I already have an auxiliary battery on an isolator that I could move to the back of my Jeep for power. I think long term, it would be better to get a dual battery tray in the front of my Jeep. But we’ll see… More to ponder!

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

post #21 of 30 Old 05-21-2017, 10:52 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

That's a great idea, and nice execution. As far as your lid opening the wrong way, how tough would it be to move the slider to the opposite side of the bed? Jeff

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #22 of 30 Old 05-21-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Thanks! It's been a fun project, and most useful.

I was actually going to put the slide on the other side, but I then went with putting it behind the passenger. On our trips, my trailer is usually attached, so we tend to stand on the handle side of the tailgate since the trailer's tongue is in the center. This also leaves our access to our personal gear easier to grab being behind the driver's seat. Access to the cooler is still good enough, but as said, more than likely I'll move up to a fridge, which the one I want opens on a short side.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

post #23 of 30 Old 05-21-2017, 03:57 PM
mustang_guy

Garage
That's an inspired build! Clean lines and only adding things you actually need. Not that beer is a need per se.

The trailer looks like it could use an electric motor to push you along when you run out of gas.
grogie likes this.
post #24 of 30 Old 06-10-2017, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

First, I recently removed the Drop Kick Slyders, and had them coated with Linex. For those of you that have looked at my trailer thread, I really like Linex! About nothing sticks to it and its held up great. As far as the slyders, they had been powder coated, and then I had applied a spray on bed liner, and then a top black spraypaint. Over the last 8 years, they held up okay, but have gotten chipped, scratched and had a couple of rust spots start up. They do a decent job at catching mud, rocks, etc., from the front tires over ending up on the side of the Jeep, plus my wife uses them as a step. I realize that they drop down and eat clearance, but they're really well built, and being originally designed for stock TJ Rubicon rockers, they do their job.

As far as the Linex, I did not have a good experience with the shop that sprayed my trailer, so I found another shop for these, and they look great!! I should have done this from the start, but back then I didn't know about Linex.

I'll install them back on soon, as they just bolt around the frame with clamps.

Next! Now that I have the rear slide, I wasn't for sure that I was going to buy a fridge/freezer, however thanks to a bonus from work, I went ahead and ordered the Snomaster 42SS. It happened to show up this afternoon, and wow... to think... no more ice! I'm use to having a 50 qt. cooler which was always at least half full of ice (and water) and this is equivalent to about a 43 qt. cooler.

Last weekend, I went by where I store my trailer and pulled out the trailer's Bluetop battery box. I honestly didn't use the battery that much. We'd usually charge our iPhones, etc., in the Jeep while on the road, and at night, it was either a campfire or go to bed, so what did I really need the battery for? So, I've added a 12-volt connector to the battery for the fridge, which will for now get strapped down in the back of my Jeep. The battery does have an isolator on it, so I'll run wiring to it so that it can charge while on the road. At this moment, the fridge is running off of the battery as I'm interested to know how long this 50 amp battery will power the fridge?

I'll do a review of the Snomaster later, but overall, very cool! The first two comments that I've received about the fridge were, first from my wife, "Yeah, those $2.50 bags of ice really add up. Totally worth the $1k." And from my neighbor who just returned from a muzzle loader competition shoot, "Glamping is it?"

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

post #25 of 30 Old 06-11-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Today I rehung that back rack over the Snomaster. The rack hung down too low for the fridge, so I removed the front side arms, shortened them by two inches and drilled new holes. Now the fridge just barely clears the rack by a finger! The rack is really nice having for lose stuff, like jackets, etc., so I still wanted to have it.

For an update on the Snomaster... I ran it off the 50 amp Bluetop battery for 25 hours, and it took the battery from 12.6v to 11.4v. Of course, I realize that battery usage will depend on a lot of factors, but that should certainly work to power the fridge overnight while camping.

And I celebrated a successful weekend with an ice cold Yuengling from the Snomaster!

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

post #26 of 30 Old 07-22-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Although I already had an isolator on the auxiliary (Bluetop) battery that I put in the back of my Jeep, I still needed to hook it up to the main battery, and I also decided to upgrade to National Lumas split charger kit, which includes another dual-battery isolator and a controller/monitor. This kit comes with everything most guys need, however with having a winch as I do, the instructions recommend to upgrade to larger battery cable, which I used 1/0 AWG 0 gauge.

The instructions indicate that the isolator is typically installed under the hood. I have a Diehard Platinum battery, but without making a serious modification, the only place I could find to mount the isolator was behind the battery, but then to get access to it in the future, Id have to remove the heavy *** Group 31 battery.

So, I ended up putting the isolator in the battery box with the auxiliary battery. Which seems to me, like it is a better place so it is not subjected to engine heat, water and dirt/mud. As far as the auxiliary battery, I have it well secured in front of the Snomaster fridge as it fits right behind the passenger seat. The battery cables run through the firewall, and along the side of the tub, all neatly tied down.

The kits manual is located here:
http://nationalluna.com/Datasheets/D...ual%202015.pdf
More info:
http://www.equipt1.com/item/12V-spli...-surface-mount

The only down fall is that the isolators solenoid, along with the controller does continue to draw power when the vehicle is turned off. However, the controller itself can be turned off. This can be an issue for vehicles that are parked more often than not, however in my case, Im already managing power as Im keeping my Snomaster plugged into to AC power when my Jeep is parked in my garage as Im using it as a "garage fridge" for ice cold beverages. If my Jeep sits long enough, Ill either hook up a battery tender or unhook the main.

As far as using the split charger, it works great! I originally did the install two weekends ago and have been using it, but today I did a little refinement and in better tying down the cables and redoing several connections.

So, after my Jeep starts, after several minutes, the isolator opens and allows power to flow to the auxiliary battery to charge it. In this picture, this shows the controller when my Jeep is not running and the condition of both batteries. The monitor also has an alarm that sounds should either battery fall into the red zone. Also, if the main battery were to die, the auxiliary can be used as the start battery.

In this picture, the controller shows both batteries charging with the vehicle running.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

post #27 of 30 Old 07-27-2017, 05:56 PM
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Love the shine on the Jeep! do you mind telling me what this Zaino stuff is? I keep reading about it, is it simply a certain brand of Wax, lol?

post #28 of 30 Old 07-31-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Using Zaino

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Love the sine on the Jeep! do you mind telling me what this Zaino stuff is? I keep reading about it, is it simply a certain brand of Wax, lol?
Hi! Zaino's polishes are actually polymer sealants, not wax. They last longer, and are easier to apply and buff, minus the multiple step process, but I typically only apply it every other year as my TJ is garage kept, and I don't run it through commercial car washes that use harsh soaps. For a daily driver, I'd go through the process once a year.

The process is that after you wash with something like Dawn (which removes wax and oils), you then use their Z18 clay bar, which removes containments on the clear coat, then you use two polishes (Z5 and then Z2), and then finally the Z6 gloss enhancer. They also sell a mild soap that you use for all future washing (Dawn is only used before the clay bar process). They sell a kit HERE that I'd recommend and you'll get four uses out of the clay bar and polishes (the Z7 soap is concentrated, but depends on how often you wash to how much you'll get out of the bottle). I don't use the Flash cure in the kit, but you can either get it or order the other products without it for a little less money. I'd also recommend to also buy a couple of their applicators (pads) and a set of their really nice towels, which all totals about $115.

With taking your time and allowing each coat of the Z5 and Z2 polishes to dry for an hour before buffing each, I'd allow 4-5 hours total.

Honestly, the 12-year-old paint on my TJ, and the wife's KJ, look great and I'd say shine more then they did when we bought them. I also find that bug, road tar and mud just wash off the paint easier. Hope that helps, and be sure to look at the pictures on the Zaino website! It's okay to drive a shiny Jeep.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

post #29 of 30 Old 10-06-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

New Batteries, Wheels and Tires

Just last Wednesday evening, I ordered two new Odyssey AGM batteries (group 34) from Quadratec, which showed up yesterday. I had a DieHard P2 (group 31) as my starter, and a Bluetop as my auxiliary battery, which were both showing age. With an upcoming trip to Overland Expo East next month and that I'll be living out of the my SnoMaster fridge for the event, I decided to get these new batteries. They're identical, except that one (on left) has extra auxiliary terminals, which is what my fridge hooks up to. Also, this battery has more amp hours over the Bluetop.

Also, about a month ago, I had my friends at Sunfire Off-Road install new Goodyear MT/Rs, which I stepped up a size to 285/75 (33") on Mickey Thompson Classic III 16x8 wheels. I debated trying another tire, but I've been happy and knew what to expect, so I went again with MT/Rs.

As far the new wheels, I again wanted polished aluminum over black. I'm not a fan of red Jeeps with too much black. I'll have to take care of these better then my previous set of wheels. What I had, Eagle alloys, were made in the USA, the polishing was excellent, but unfortunately are no longer made. The Mickey's are made in China, and the polishing is subpar. As far as backspacing, the Mickey's, being 16x8" have more (4.5" vs. 3.25"), so they're more tucked in, which I do like! I'll have to put more effort into keeping these wheels polished.

And I washed the Jeep today for pics:

LATER: Camping at 2018 Overland Expo East where the fields turned to mud, mud, and then more mud. (See, she does get dirty.)

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

post #30 of 30 Old 06-12-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing new here as far as the build, but I recently returned from the latest trip that was just over 4,000 miles. It started out that I was invited as a reader for FourWheeler magazine's first Overland Adventure through Arizona, along with attending Expo West with other readers, their staff, and sponsors. I have a trip review here with photos, but I thought I'd add a few to this thread as well.

I do have also say that my favorite Jeep mod for travel is the fridge! We spent 16 days living out of the Jeep, and we always had cold water and adult beverages, with no ice required! The fridge also makes for a handy shelf for making sandwiches.

Camping at Alstrom Point, Utah (above Lake Powell).

07wurubi likes this.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'18 4Runner Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in